Need help with synth programming: vibrato with pre-delay

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by dashfiss, Jun 21, 2014.

1. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

I'm trying to learn more about Sylenth1, and Massive in particular, and I'm currently reading both these user manuals. While both manuals explain functionality well enough they don't explain how to do every tiniest thing possible, such as vibrato pre-delay :)

I want to delay a vibrato, and I even want to have a ramp-up to the vibrato, taking it from 0 to full vibrato (amplitude, not speed) over a set period of time. After this, the vibrato can continue until note release.

I'm looking for a way that gives me full control over pre-delay time and ramp-up time, and I'm trying to do this in Sylenth1, Spire and Sytrus (just figured Massive).

In Massive it seems that their "side chain" feature, which gives you extended control over modulations, is the way to go, but I haven't found anything suitable to control it with! For all I know, there could also be a better way.
    EDIT: Just did some experiments in Massive and I found that these Envs actually have a delayed start option in addition to many other possibilities, far more advanced than the standard ADSR. Very impressed! So, Massive sorted :)

In Sylenth1 I don't have the slightest clue how to create a delay and ramp-up with those Envs and LFOs so I got nothing here. The vibrato itself is easy enough.

I'm just a beginner with these awesome synths, I'm sure there must be somebody out there who does this 10 times before breakfast :p

I know how to do this with DAW automation but that is exactly what I want to avoid because it's more work, and I like the idea of having the instrument self-contained in the VST whenever possible.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

3. nadirtozenith

nadirtozenith Rock Star

navigating between nadir zenith vectoring upwards
    hello, Øyvind,

sorry, have no sylenth before my eyes at present, but one modulation envelope might be used for this purpose (the attack setting will define the delay), through the modulation matrix, where one selects the modulation envelope as source, selects the required lfo as target, then defines the depth of the effect of this with the knob... *yes*

this is from pure recall (which is not much to say with this brain, actually), so if anything goes out of line (agley, so to say), drop your questions, will be back soon... *yes*

all the best... :bow:

post scriptum, besides manuals, there are excellent books for every imaginable user experience level to read about synthesis, sound design, etc., just do some searching... *yes*

Becoming A Synthesizer Wizard From Presets To Power User (Simon Cann)
    Power Tools For Synthesizer Programming Ultimate Reference For Sound Design (Jim Aikin)
    Sound Synthesis Sampling 3rd Edition (Martin Russ)
    Synthesizer Basics (Dean Friedman)
    The Synthesizer A Comprehensive Guide (Mark Vail)

post post scriptum, now, with beautiful visual support, there is everything you need, below... :bow:

promise, next time will try not to help from recall (dangerous degree of brain tissue spongiformificatisation at this side), sorry, if my half failed attempt caused any inconvenient confusion... :bow:

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

[​IMG]

^ Do these seven marked changes (pitch/vibrato amount envelope + pitch sine LFO/vibrato). Add delay.

5. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

Bingo, works like a charm! This is the kind of thinking I'm not used to yet but I kept thinking when i sat there with sylenth "this is a fab synth, it has to be possible somehow, it's not you, it's me" etc.

I'll check out those books you mentioned, nad, chances are very good I could benefit from all of them :p

Thank you both!

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You are welcome!

7. don_questo

don_questo Noisemaker

Massive' s LFOs have internal envelopes as well. Use those, thats exactly what they are for. Good luck