Need Help with MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid Audio Interface - Windows 7 No Audio

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mark@WFstudios, Dec 1, 2014.

1. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

Hello everyone,

I am in need of some urgent help.

I just installed a brand new MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid on Windows 7 64bit, The installation went fine.

My problem is that Windows 7 has defaulted the Playback Device & Communication Device to the "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2 - High Definition Audio Device)".

I am using the XLR "Main Out" connection , I have tried setting Windows Playback Device & Communication Device to EVERY option available & none of them are receiving any audio signal , including the Main Out. I even tried variations of setting the Communication Device to something different to the Playback Device , still no audio signals on any of them except for the "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (2 - High Definition Audio Device)".

Does anyone have experience with this or know how to fix it ? Because im really upset & this has left me short of pocket with money & now no PC audio until I reinstall my presonus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks.

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

What firmware are you using?
    Does the interface work in your DAW, do the asio drivers work?
    Did you check the MOTU audio console?
    Have you disabled your built-in soundcard in the bios (if you have any, allthough I don't know any current motherboards without built-in sound...)?

Why do you think reinstalling presonus (what exactly, I doubt you want to reinstall that company ;) ) would help?

4. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

Im using firmware v1.00, I believe the firmware update is for v1.01. It is something I will try soon.

I have not tested the interface with my DAW / Cubase yet. Yes its a test I can do, But I just want Windows Audio firstly. Its still no good to me if the DAW works but Windows Audio does not.

The MOTU CueMix & Audio Console settings look all ok to me by default, I did try changing a few things just for test purposes but I reverted everything back to default.

Onboard sound is disabled.

5. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

Update:

The interface decided to work briefly once when I set the default playback & communication device to the "Main Out" (which I was always trying) it seemed to be working as expected , but the db LED meters were not reading the correct levels.

Surely enough after another power off / on im back to having no success. It seems to be having major driver issues as I noticed things dissapearing & reappearing at will in the Windows Playback Devices , Also the firmware updater says it does not even recognise any device is connected. I also noticed the Audio Console is buggy to open sometimes.

Ive concluded its faulty.

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Could also be the usb bus. I would try to update the usb drivers and/or switch the port. I have an issue with my audio interface and controller keyboard, they have problems with irq sharing.

7. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Are you connecting via USB or Firewire?
    If USB - make sure you're connecting to a USB2 port, NOT USB3 !

I was researching on getting a MOTU Ultralite MK3, and read many owners had trouble operating over USB3.

MOTU has released a firmware update which is supposed to make the Ultralite compatible with USB3.
    Maybe there is the same for the 828 ?

8. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

Im using a known working USB 2.0 port & Cable.

The point being is that a $1000 interface should be fu*king working with USB , theres really no excuse. MOTU is absolute trash guys , seriously not impressed. Its time to send this peice of crap back get a refund & save up so I can be a big boy / RME interface ;)

The S/PDIF signal I was talking about originally seems to be one of Windows default Playback Device's thats in the list as it has not dissapeared from the list after uninstalling the motu, so essentially it it wasn't even related to any MOTU output / the unit was just plain not working, but all ins and outs would appear in the list once the unit was turnt on , so it was getting some recognition from Windows as if the USB port was working to some sort of degree.

Ive had issues with 2 motu travellers in the past & now this 828mk3 hybrid, I wanted to beleive in motu products but now im just clearly staying away from the trash.

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

You know, even a 100k console can leave you clueless and a "fuck this piece of crap I'll toss that and get xyz"-attitude won't get you anywhere. But I can totally understand your frustration! :wink:

On the other hand, buying RME is never wrong :)

10. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

You need to choose USB Audio device as your playback device, once you do that the "set default" button will be active and you can change the default after that. BTW It's not MOTUs fault you don't know how to configure win 7

11. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

are you retarted ? if your so mr motu know it all , provide a screen shot of what you speak. You really think i don't know how to set windows playback device ? well prove me wrong with useful information, and no, USB Audio Device isn't even a available option lol. All you have to do is choose the correct output which for me was labelled as "Main Out 1-2".
    Your post says to me "You don't even know about the problems you are talking about & im not willing to help, so ill just reply with a non-useful , non-relevant troll reply" good one bro.

12. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

[​IMG]

As you can see I had to set it to USB which is my Focusrite ,but before I had the Focusrite I had a Motu 4 pre hybrid. Even with that all I had to do was power down the computer and I could easily swap my 2 I\Os without ever going back into windows and having to make adjustments. It's always been set to 4-USB and always worked

13. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

Thankyou for the more decent informative , helpful reply, i appreciate it.

I understand what you are saying , however you must understand you are talking about 2 completely different interface models compared to the 828mk3 , hence these playback device option settings will be different varying from interface to interface.

Yes my presonus audiobox interface also has a simple 1 option of "Speakers / Audio Box USB Audio" & I don't doubt that alot of interfaces with minimal inmputs & outputs would have similar options.

However , what you need to understand is the 828mk3 is totally different , once installed I had all of the outputs show up in the playback device list and all the inputs for the recording device list , all of the S/PDIF , ADAT , Analog , Mics, Main Outs etc etc. There is no simple "Speaker USB Audio" option.

I was using the XLR main out connection & it simply wasn't working , if you read through the entirety of my original posts you would realise that I have basically tested everything, it did work once as expected for a brief period but the db LED meters on the front display were bricked on 1 light at -42db.

14. mark@WFstudios

mark@WFstudios Member

I can't be bothered with Firewire anymore as its not really supported on any devices anymore , you need some sort of PCIE card or usb to firewire adapter etc , Id rather let Firewire be a thing of the past , so yes I use USB only.

And yes I am using the power supply.

Theres not much really else to say people, thanks for all the input, its appreciated. But I have come to the conclusion that it is faulty & most likely driver & or unit related issues. Even if there was a fix I still find situations like this completely unacceptable from a high entry point interface.

After my MOTU Traveller & now this 828mk3 experiences , I can NOT recommend MOTU interfaces to anyone , the only thing worth buying from MOTU is Mach Five 3.

Im packing the unit up getting ready to return it.