Need help to reduce eye strain on Win10 (theme, skin)

Discussion in 'PC' started by Matt777, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Need some help to ease the pain.. I never change the gui of anything. If the plug, app,.. looks ugly, I just let it be. Had to change to W10 time ago and now I have the os under control..

except the default theme is really painful for my eyes. I have the "dark" mode engaged in CU, but that doesn't help much. Most used windows (like file explorer) remain white.

Any suggestions from experts greatly appreciated. I am looking for stability, easy install (no 5+ additional progs req., one or two it's ok ;), any dark/soft would do..). Was looking for something like this:

https://unisira.deviantart.com/art/SEDA-Theme-for-Windows-10-632936467

Tnx in advance!

Windows version 1703 build 15063.296

3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

There's liek a thing in Win 10 that lets u use something called "night light", I think, that makes everything orange as the day progresses. It may help? It basically reduces that blue screen thing that makes u insane @ night; although I dunno if that's what ur talking about?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Warped Effect

Warped Effect Ultrasonic

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Thanks, ATM I'm @ the "beach house" on a shitty 17" monitor and I have to move and arrange thousands of files and folders starring at that damn white file manager bg (crying like a baby, literally). I'm already all orange, following famouslut's (didn't know that feature was W10 inc.) and junh1024's suggestion - technically, lowered the temperature to ~4000+ K.
    I was also looking for glasses like those many times and will probably get a pair (there are similar for night driving.. and shooting, lol)

This will hopefully get me trough this week without getting totally blind. But it is not a long term solution, unfortunately. As I'm dealing with photo/video and 3d rendering I have X-Rite monitor calibrator on the "real" screen. And that one will go bananas if I change anything. (the monitor and printer are calibrated and light conditions do not change 24/7)

So I'll probably have to find a "dark" skin/theme, without too many keyloggers and backdoors, lol. I was just wondering if anybody had experience with any of these,,

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

8. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

9. Demon

Demon Producer

I concur. Get Flux now!

10. nospectre

nospectre Member

i don't think there's a way to change explorer white background without uxtheme patching. but u can try other file explorers like nexusfile. or any that change the background color. only thing being is the getting used to.

11. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Flux installed. Nice lil prog especially when environment light changes. Has a strange effect when scrolling (but that may be my shitty graphics ATM). Totally useless though when you work with monitor that is calibrated for color accuracy. It's like trying to mix/master with monitors that have (e.g.) a low-pass filter on. Guess you can just turn it off when you work /w video/photo and similar.
    Was thinking about explorer alternative.. but already have UltraUXThemePatcher ready - I like to mess with reg&stuff lol. Just looking for the right theme (maker) now.
    :wink:

12. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. pacsus

pacsus Newbie

f.lux may cause audio glitches, but okay in 'Safe Mode'

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  14. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Sorry to hear that. I would just add eyes and ears! A wise man said - you once may get rich enough to buy any equipment, but you just won't be able to replace those..

Thanks for the tips. As I'm still at the "testing the system" stage, I'll try the 3rd party theme thing. If anybody can recommend a good one, please do. The main problem will be when W10 updates, but I have the defer policy ON ..anyway nothing is certain (but death and taxes ;)) The point is to find a popular one frm designer that updates it. Will report..:yes: