Need help to identify effect

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Arabian_jesus, May 21, 2020.

1. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I am doing a cover of Audioslaves Show Me How To Live as an assignement in school and I need some help to identify the effect used by Tom in the "solo", if you can call it that. There is a kind of step filter(?) effect on either the guitar or maybe a synth in the background of the solo part, but I can't find any vst or synth to replicate it. Does anyone know what kind of effect and vst I could use to get a similar sound?

It starts at 2:49

3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

(I don't play guitar or know anything about git fx) Isn't it just fast tremolo effect and prolly some filter (wah)? I'd just use Soundtoys' Tremolator and it's pretty easy to go from there, 16ths? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    (I dunno why you'd wanna make anything sound like that tbh >_____> )

4. Arabian_jesus

Yes, I think there are two guitars panned hard left and right with tremolo and phaser on but there is also some kind of step filter effect or something going on in the background! You can hear it clearly in the end of the solo at around 3:11

Yeah, I don't know what Tom where thinking in the studio but the assignement is to mimic the song as closely as possible :I

5. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I didn't listen long enough! I think Camelphat has options to produce filter effects very like that. It seems almost like a weird (ie keyboard played) effect like XILS 5000, except pared back a lot / very tame.

6. evolasme

evolasme Producer

7. Arabian_jesus

Yes, I know what gear he mainly uses but the neither the whammy or the wah can produce this effect. When they played live he pushes some pedal just once in the end of the solo to get this effect and I can't find what that pedal is :S

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Tom Morello uses a kill-switch (or a mic switch), which is a switch to kill the sound (on/off) basically. You can buy a tremolo (square) pedal if you want the same effect in pedal form (or find a tremolo plugin). Or if you want to add a kill-switch on your guitar, then go ahead! It's one of the easiest mods to do on your guitar. :) You can even implement a button-style (momentary) kill-switch.

There are stock/native tremolo plugins in your DAW most likely. :) If you want the same effect on a synth you assign a square LFO (tempo-synced or not) to amplitude/volume.

Free VST: https://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/02/best-free-tremolo-plugins-pc-mac.html

@4:45:

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Arabian_jesus

I went through the Soundtoys effects after you recomended them and got really close to the sound with the resonator filter in Filterfreak 1! When it comes to effects mostly used for synths I am totally lost but I guess this is what he uses for that sound. Thank you so much for the help! :mates:

10. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

It did sound (to my non-guitarist ears) like Soundtoys on first listen. Very keyboardy in general. I'd recd you use (generally) Decapitator, as well, which is kinda awesome!

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Try BOSS SL-20 slicer (hardware pedal) for the square 'choppy-gate" LFO sound, and look at the AdrenaLinn VST fx plugin or hardware pedal for the random S&H sequence at the end of his solo. - that's my first thought.

*edit*
    @evolasme linked to TM's gear page and it looks like he's using a BOSS TR-2 Tremolo pedal which would maybe explain the rhythmic gate, but in studio, you want it to sync up tight to tempo, so I would use SL-20 and midi-it-up to receive a clock signal. But, who knows? :dunno:

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  12. evolasme

evolasme Producer

dont forget he runs a killswitch as well that creates that choppy sound

13. Arabian_jesus

In this solo I don't think he uses it because he always plays straight 16th notes on the e string with his left fist raised up for some reason :rofl: Check both the video and live performances! On the left and right guitars I managed to get the tone pretty fast with a tremolo set to 16th triplets and a phaser set at 1/4! The problem I had was finding the resonant filter effect that is in the background centered, that you hear best right in the end of the solo!

14. Arabian_jesus

The first thing I tried was Unfiltered Audio Byome with the filter set to bandpass and connected to a S&H module for timing and it was close but still not quite there. When I tried Soundtoys Filterfreak with the rhythmic resonant filter it straight away sounded 95% like the effect in the song :) Just needed to add a touch of reverb afterwards and play with the rhythm settings! Now I am 99% there and don't think it can get any closer! Thanks everyone for the help! :wink:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List