need help running windows on my mac

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by bldngblck, Jul 10, 2019.

1. bldngblck

bldngblck Newbie

not sure where to start. i know i need bootcamp or something like that. in 2019, what are the best set ups to run windows on a mac? what's the best windows operating system to use? xp? 7? 10? i have an ssd drive that i'll be running on my imac, and i want to dedicate that to running windows music software. any advice (besides buy a pc? lol) to help me in the right direction? thanks

3. recycle

recycle Guest

I use Parallel desktop, any windows works on it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

You need at lest 16GB ram if not more, otherwise your windows via Parallels will be heavy, slow and lagging, especially running audio.
    So Parallels is not good for serious audio projects.
    Try the W.I.N.E iniciatives by @keen here and on sistersite.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. darthloud

darthloud Producer

best windows forever windows 7 Professional x64 or windows 7 ultimate , more professional is better
    install latest directx , net framework and all runtimes for running all vst and daw

6. bldngblck

bldngblck Newbie

i want to run the utopia pro tools and the r2r fl studio... will those work through wine?

7. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

no.just pro.ultimate brings only bloat to the table ..
    further you got to streamline youre win7...but even on pro , got to turn off a lot off stuff which is not needed..better use light version...
    many ppl have lots of horsepower and dont see need in that but they would be pleased...

but OP asked

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

If you use BootCamp you will have a dual boot with Mac OS and Windows. The performance is the same as a PC with the same hardware. What Windows? I'd go with Windows 7/8.1. If your Mac is fast go with Windows 10 LTSC.

Parallels desktop is for running Virtual Machines. Very useful, but no for music, you'll waste resources.
    WINE is cool but still is a WIP, don't recommend it unless you're very experienced user.

9. bldngblck

bldngblck Newbie

thanks this is the option i think im looking for

10. statik

statik Audiosexual

bootcamp is in you utilities folder, easiest way (if not the only way) to get windows running properly on your imac (not using bootcamp will result in running an install and not being able to use your keyboard and mouse which sucks), it will download all the drivers needed for windows and partition your HD and format it but you might have to reformat the drive created by bootcamp from the windows install (osx cant format it in ntfs)

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Agreed. At the end of the day BootCamp is nothing more (and nothing less) that official Apple drivers for Mac hardware on Windows.
    Plus a tool to help you setup that dual boot and sometimes the Windows DVD/USB.