Need help - music for vlog

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by Ankit, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ankit

Ankit Guest

In upcoming days, I have to make one 3min music every day for a vlog my friend is starting. There will be no voice-over, music only. I am not a musician and a producer. I have learned all the basic stuff here. But I face problem in making a good sounding track.
    I need is to make music that just works. I want to add some ethnic percussions/instruments.
    Every kind of advice is appreciated.

Can I use samples posted on sister site? How to stay safe?
    What genre to listen for ideas?
    What kind of song arrangement?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I think it's good to get in the water and just start swimming, so it's nice that you begin by having a deadline, and a goal to the productions you're about to accomplish.
    Is there a specific genre you're aiming ? For ideas well it depend what the vblog aims at, what it's about and all. Hyped music are all the "future" genres. References isn't what's missing out there, but you gotta know a bit what you're aiming. Once you have a more precised idea, things can get much clearer.
    Regarding samples, just avoid construction kits and things of the sort, they are recognizable so if you use them in a commercial fashion and it's pirated, well not good. For samples of drums, instruments, fxs, synths, and all, well it's all fair game, a lot sound close to each other (in a specific genre, usually there are specific kind of samples), they won't be recongnisable in context, specially after you've processed them.
    The arrangement relies partly on the genre you pick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Ankit

Ankit Guest

@Talmi

Genres from

to

It is not genre specific. But they are different than a normal song. Should I use happy sounding major scales or it doesn't matter?
    Should I start making music by referencing music from these videos?

What about simple percussion loops?

5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Okay, happy vibe so. The first one is closer the pop/electronic standarts (fairly classic kick and clap, and classic drumbeat, hats only come in for the drops), arpeggios, a lot of plucky sounds, a fairly simple sub that drops at about the end of every fourth bar, simple happy chord prog.
    Maybe try to reproduce this first one in your daw, its form. It rests a bit in the middle of the song during the prepartion/mixing of the dish, like suspended. Use the markers in your daw to reproduce exactly how it evolves. Lay dow as many tracks as there are elements, the ones that you pick. Folder with the different drums parts, then a track for the lead the sub, etc. BPM is probably something around 100 (maybe a bit less). Take your favorites synth and pick a few presets, for elements that require one, that are in the vibe of the ones in the song, pick your drums samples before starting your beat, make a drum set for this specific song. You can make a happy chord progression in the minor set too, there are as many major chords in the minor scale, it's just a different order, and the first chord is a minor. Minor doesn't have to be sad, and major doesn't have to be happy, it depends what progression you build in each scale. Make it simple, though.
    But don't try to recreate this exact song, it's just going to be a guideline, a starting point where most of the hard work that can slow you down at the start are already done. Make something different but with this vibe, with this structure.
    The second one is quirckier. Funny one.
    Percussion loops. Well some are very distinctive, but in the end it's pretty rare. Those should be chopped probably. For most with a bit of processing and with the other elements of your song, you should be fine. It really depends what packs you have and the type of perc loops it contains, some exotic percs loops I'm fund of are probably very recongnisable...

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Thats all I needed. :thanks:
    I will reference the electronic track.
    Much appreciated.:break:

7. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

No problem. I hope you nail it:mates: ! :wink:

8. Downlo

Downlo Producer

Maybe listen to this guy for same crazy, wacky ideas. It's the happiest music i know.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Just wanted to add that IMO making 3 min everyday is not as simple as it seems. You need the idea, the ingredients (samples, loops, synth patches,...) and then comes the right mix and if we skip mastering at least little polishing - level checking. Listened to the first video - search (on the other site) for something like "future pop" or something like that, listen to the demos and pick what you like.
    Do you play any instruments like keyboards? Than you can start replacing loops from the pack with your fav synth/sampler melodies.
    Arrangement - in the video they mainly add and/or subtract elements..
    Should you be concerned? For synth patches I would say no way - just turn any knob a bit ;) For samples, I would say no.. but it depends how serious the project is, will you be hitting 100k+ views,.. If you want a complete peace of mind and if you like a sample pack maybe that 20-30$ isn't that much. Of course "try before you buy!" (quality, quantity) and remember those demos are professionally processed. ;)

If you need any further help, we're here ..and good luck! :wink:

Edit: as Talmi said, minor can be happy - in fact the music in the 1st vid is in C#-minor :yes:

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Aha...A French, pioneer of electro music, and I had never heard of him. Cheers for the vid, man. :wink: