Need help, maybe an amp?

Discussion in 'DJ equipment' started by tekknosurferz, Aug 26, 2012.

1. tekknosurferz

tekknosurferz Newbie

Hey guys, not quite sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm having an issue with my passive DJ speakers.
    I have two, 300w each (peak at 400w) speakers at 8 ohms. When I plug them into my laptop the sound is very quiet and is distorting. I was wondering, is this because I need an amp? If so, what amp should I get?

Thanks in advance,

NO1ZE.

3. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ NO1ZE,

Well, you have yourself answered at your question ! *yes*

*yes*

As a rule of thumb :

'Passive' Speakers --> need to be amplified
    'Active' Speakers --> don't need to be (externally) amplified, they are amplified by their own internal amplifier

I'm not enough qualified for telling you to buy a certain model, rather than another one, as this is also a matter of personal choice (and personal finances !), but in your case : DJ Speakers supporting 300 W (with peaks at 400 W), a reasonably good 'PA' (Power Amplifier) could be perfect. I write 'reasonably', in the sense that's not mandatory to get a 'PA' with 3000 W for smashing and slamming your 'DJ Speakers'... :rofl:

4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

As the previous poster stated, passive speakers are just that: speakers. Typically, you would be running your computer's audio output to some kind of Firewire or USB audio interface, but even if you were going straight from your laptop's (I'm assuming) 1/8 inch stereo output, the first thing you'll want to do is get a "Y" cable, one with a stereo 1/8 inch plug on the stem and two 1/8 (preferably, 1/4 inch) plugs on the other end. If they're not 1/4 inch to begin with, you'll need to 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapters. Then, unfortunately, you will have to buy a stereo monitor amp -- I recommend an Alesis RA series, but a few companies make some good ones (Peavey, Beringer, etc.). You'll probably want something in the 150 watt range (about 75 watts per channel), well below what your speakers are rated for, thus guaranteeing you won't blow them out, even if you have your amp cranked all the way up. Since most monitor amps take two 1/4 inch plugs, this is what those adapters will come in handy for. Hook the speakers up to your amp's outputs and you should be good to go.

5. tekknosurferz

tekknosurferz Newbie

Thanks heaps guys!

6. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

Everything been said but I'll just add 3 things

Your speakers are made for 300watt supply so aim for get a stereo 300watt amp. If you get a 600watt amp, every time its volume passes half way your risking damaging the speaker cones. 400watt and its anything past 3/4's that you risk damage the cones, you get the idea.

400watt peak means they where tested and broke on average around 400+ watts. they are made to take random peaks of 400wats not a signal at 400watts, in other words just cause they'll work at that level for a wile dosen't mean its agood idea to use them at that level all the time. My brother can't grasp this consept

Second Thing
    Try to use as few adapters as possible. This is just a personal thing but around adapters seem to be the most comon areas for stuff to break (breakers in wires / sockets comming loose, ect.) or it is for me. I'm guessing its the added weight on the parts with the frequent use.

But more people will agree with the fact that adapters are the most common cause of noise and you can loose them

Third thing
    The 8 ohms isn't important but it's for optomiseing performance of the electronics. If you match the two 8 ohms speakers with a stereo amp that is made to take 8 ohms load on each channel, the amp will use less electricity and stay cooler or not heat up as much during use.
    In other words less likely to over heat (I can't see power cobsumption being important).

Saying that I've never had an amp over heat and the people I work with set up the things with out thinking of such stuff.
    so it can be ignored with no real problems happening.

There's not much that you can do wrong so don't worry
    If you find your self useing, like I have once, a marshall guitar amp. remebering to turn the overdrive off it really helps

7. tekknosurferz

tekknosurferz Newbie

Thanks heaps, and I'll remember that if I end up using a guitar amp. ;)