Need help mapping MIDI controllers

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, May 5, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have 3 MIDI controllers that I use. I have a Nektar Impact LX61+ that I use as my main controller but also own an E-mu Xboard 25 and a Behringer BCR2000. My Nektar is mainly used but the 25 MIDI keyboard and BCR2000 are intended to be used with soft synth for hands on tweakability of most parameters.

I intend to use MIDI learn for the plugins inside Studio One to map the knobs and faders inside plugins to the knobs on the Xboard and the BCR controllers.

I have never really delved into MIDI mapping before and tended to use the standard MIDI assignments or he mapping provided by manufacturer.

Anyone got tips on how to do this easily? And also, can you easily map the same parameter to two MIDI knobs, such as one on the 25 key keyboard and the same parameter on the BCR?

Cheers all!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

I have a Nektar lx49 ,a M-Audio oxygen 49 and a Faderport , all running smooth In Studio One. You can map more than 1 controller to the same parameter, Studio One will give you a Pop up warning but it's not a big deal. Very easy to do. The only Tip I have is just put in the time and do it. Studio One will not give you any problems

4. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Just put in a bit more thought into what you were asking about, Best advice I have is to keep the Nektar in "MIX" Mode and simply map the BCR and the E-MU to your plugins. Let me know if you run in to any problems but I really doubt you will have any. Studio One is by far one of the easiest DAWs to midi map stuff in

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I will try this. One question, I know putting Studio One in midi learn allows you to map the plugins too, but only covers supported plugins. Do you advise mapping from within Studio One or from with each individual plugin? I hope that question makes sense! :rofl:

6. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

The Nektar only covers the the built in Plugs and instruments. Everything else needs to be done manually thru the Studio One midi mapping. Quick question...did you download the needed file from the Nektar site for Studio One/ I only ask because this is what it should be doing

The E-mu and the Bcr should take care of the rest, and YES you will want to map within Studio One, because once you do S1 saves all of that, so every time you drag in a plug it's will always be the same as when you first mapped it. Only problem with that for me is remembering what the hell I mapped per plug. I personally keep my LX49 in "INST" mode but then again I have a faderport to handle the mixing. I never use the LX for mixing , but in your case. I would use the LX for mixing and use your other gear for the plugins

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have installed the Nektar stuff and it works fine. Mine is the newer LX61+ too, so is slightly different to the original LX range. I also have a Faderport.

My aim with the EMU and BCR is to use for soft synths so my aim is to map the generic stuff to the same knobs for all, I.e. ADSR, cutoff, resonance etc. Should make it easier to remember what's where :)

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I use NYRV Agent for all my vst fx for sometime now in all DAWs, no matter which one. It is an outstanding piece of software imho, making complex mapping a breeze. No fiddling through each manufacturer menus/manuals/midi implementation etc etc.
    http://nyrvaudio.com/

9. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Oh in that case Use the Faderport for mixing and everything else for your plugins, Studio One can handle all of that. My daughter always get a kick when she hits a drum pad on my Oxygen and the lights on the Nektar pads light up or if she moves a fader on the Nektar the faderport fader moves. Too much fun.. so once you get it all set up you will have a ton of knobs, 9 faders+a master fader(faderport) and more than enough keys to do what ever you want, Actually seems like a good setup once you map it all out

@taskforce Studio One can do everything that NYRV Agent does all built in to the DAW and more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Quite correct and i love S1 for that, i do have v3, but the thing is i have to use many DAWs in the studio. Different clients with projects on Cubase, Sonar, Live and a couple with StudioOne and FL. The only way to carry over fx settings and complex chains from DAW to DAW and at the same time keep the same external control is with something like Agent :)
    I do get some ProTools projects too but PT is a different beast, i prefer to export and mix elsewhere like Cubase or Sonar lol

11. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

any problems???

12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

None whatsoever :)

13. RickyTerzis

RickyTerzis Newbie

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you can map more than 1 controller to the same parameter, Studio One will give you a Pop up warning but it's not a big deal. Very easy to do. The only Tip I have is just put in the time and do it.