Need help for a travel set up

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by hayabusa, Oct 1, 2019.

1. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Hi guys!
    I need your help.
    I'm travelling a lot, got a MacBook Pro December 18/i9/32 Gb RAM...running Live onto it with a headphone. I did a few tracks recently but all the time, I got the same remark: why the sound quality is not good?
    1/i start so my lake of knowledge could be mainly the point, I recon
    2/however, in my headphone, it sounds great...HD 25 Sennheiser...here is the need!
    Got a lot of producers around me and they all came up with : change your headphone!!!
    No problem, I will do it...I was looking for the Sennheiser HD 650 which seems to be excellent for music producing...
    BUT, and, there I need you guys...
    If I plug the 650 onto my Mac, don't you think I will have some troubles with the Ohms things??? My Mac soundcard is 32 Ohms if I'm correct and the headphone needs,regarding the characteristics , more than 200!!!
    So, do you recommend me to buy a soundcard in between those 2 gears(laptop/headphone)? If yes, which one knowing that I need a small one to travel with(Budget is not a point).
    Many thanks for your help

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

You do not need to match impedence stats (measured in ohms) in this case. The headphones should sound fine. Love Sennheiser products. They have a high impedence to protect themselves from overload damage. I would suggest a set of self powered near-field monitors to help yourself out, since budget is not a problem. With near-fields and a set of Sennheisers you should be able to get a good idea of what is in the mix.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Thanks for your reply.
    Ok,I thought it was important that Ohms thing...
    Why?I read a comparaison between the 650 and 660 S and they explain Sennheiser reduced this impedance to permit to use it on IPhone ,IPad and obviously on laptop.
    However, they explain the 660S is not neutral as it’s little brother .
    Regarding monitors, at home I got Adam S3X-H and the AVANTONE MixCube.
    My main concern was really the part on the go.I cannot take monitors in my luggage...after it is not called a luggage but a container!!!
    I will definitely go for this 650 then with a good hard case to protect them .
    Thanks!

5. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

A higher impedance doesn't say much about the quality of the headphone. It means you'll need more gain to keep your headphones at a reasonable level. So if you don't want to carry a hp-preamp with you, and you want to use the headphones directly on the macbook, you'll need a low impedance HP. You could also try the AKG K-812, for example. These are operated with 36 ohms, but cost a little more. the most important thing is: try different headphones! We all have different listening habits and the headphone you choose for you should match your listening habits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Hi Sinus Well!
    Thanks for your explanation!Carrying a Pre Amp wouldn’t be a Pb if the size is relatively small as well...if you know one, please let me know!
    I will check the 812 also ,didn’t know this one.
    I was targeting the 650 because it’s reputation of being neutral is not anymore a concern, it seems to be a state!I have to admit,I don’t put as loud as I can to protect my ears(they are my jobs security!!!!)but at least a minimum to listen to all the frequencies in my mix, which is my main problem at the moment..the HD25 is not suiting for that purpose and it is part of my problem.

7. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Are you using an audio interface?

8. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Hi
    When on the road, no...at home, got the STUDIOLIve séries 3 Presonus.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

ah ok... I have an old NI Kontrol or whatnot that I use when traveling, helps with that kinda thing with more volume attenuation, also supplies 5 pin din midi if i need it and whatnot, but I can understand why others would not want something like that...

10. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

HD-25 is a great headphone. 75 ohms I believe? What equipment do the people use that complain about the quality? How do you judge the quality of your work on that equipment yourself? Maybe the real problem is you need to learn how to translate from headphone to speakers.

11. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

You are totally right on your remark Boomoperator.
    Those people release tracks and are well more pro than me. At a certain stage, beginners like me have to trust people that coach you in a way to permit you to be at a pro-level(which I'm not...maybe I should put my track on the forum to be judged by the members here).
    Those persons are Dj also and told me about that HD 25...feasable to mix with it but with already a certain experience in mixing, which I don't have.
    The HD650 seems well more adapted for my suit, my style of music...a lot of producer in my genre are using the 650, I can honestly say myself, there is a reason...
    Not saying to follow like a goat the move but at least, it helps to follow a guideline.
    And yes , also, to learn how to translate from headphone to speakers, that is another point...gosh, this is a job that music thing!!!:wink:
    here is the track I'm talking about to let you have an idea...

12. playtime

playtime Rock Star

If you go with neafields, I can reccomend IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors. It's crazy what they're capable of with such a small size.
    Got a free travel bag as a part of summer promotion.

As for the headphones, I'd go with Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 Ohms or Sennheiser :wink:

13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

14. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Thanks guys...will check all those gears when at home.Playtime,carrying with me those tiny speakers wouldn’t be possible I tell you...I am away 14/15 days a month and it would be a pain in the h...to carry that on top of everything with me.
    I will definitely check those headphones.

15. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

I listened to the track on my HD25-II, on Samson SR805 ($40,-) and on my nearfields. The lows sounded best on the low budget (but well praised) Samsons. On the nearfields, of course they're gone.
    I guess the low end in your mix needs polishing, you should learn how to let it work around the 150-300Hz range. Plugins like Rbass/Maxx bass together with some multiband compression could do the trick. I don't think buying an expensive headphone will be of much help.

16. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Really appreciate the point Boomoperator!
    I will have a closer look on that aspect of my mix and check the plug ins you mentioned.
    Regards

17. FelixGo

FelixGo Newbie

Hi man! If you are travelling too much I suggest you use "show my map" because in there you can find everything around you, like knowing the city you are in and even more without problems. Also, you can enter map coordinates in there if anyone sends it a direction like this. It is completely easy and interactive, I suggest you.

18. hayabusa

hayabusa Producer

Thanks!
    Definitely check this out !
    Appreciated!
    Cheers

19. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

audio technica ath m50 x : excellent all-round headphones!!!