Need help figuring where to go with this song!

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by jayinthe813, Jun 24, 2012.

1. jayinthe813

jayinthe813 Newbie

Im working on an orchestral piece based off a video game. Im very new to orchestration, but want to get pretty deep into it, however, I dont have the strongest background with theory (yet)

http://soundcloud.com/jason-bayldon/battlefieldorchcurrent

As of right now, this is pretty much a base track, I need to also include some more percussion, but I want to put maybe a violin or something higher pitch in there to accentuate the track. Im just not sure what notes go well, like I know its up to the composer, but this is where my knowledge kind of falls off. I feel like i need to start on the first note, but "leave" the scale and maybe go up. Right now, to me it sounds generic as all hell. Hopefully someone will have some tips or insight. Anything is much appreciated, thank you

3. MARJU GRLYO

MARJU GRLYO Noisemaker

There's not enough instruments in the background in my taste, it's not BIG enough.

But it's mainly mixing technique problems, and if it's your first shot, bravo ! :wink:

That's all I can say, I'm new into "classical orchestration" too, so... I'm at the same point as you ! lol

Some other guys will probably come and give more precise point of view.

Good luck ;)

4. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ jayinthe813,

This Video Game is 'Battlefield Bad Company', isn't ?

Your previous article 'What is this orchestral sound ?' and its included 'musical piece' has some hand percussions played in a softer manner (as I wrote it in my comment). Maybe you could inspire yourself of it...

Here, I don't really understand the "something higher pitch". Do you mean another instrument that has a register/range higher than those already present in your 'orchestral piece', or higher than the proper register/range of a violin ?
    Because if you're looking for a higher register/range than a violin can play... good luck to you to find a 'stringed' instrument with higher notes.

Simply all those that are comprised in the scale of the Main Root used ! However, some suit better than others...

Undoubtedly, but the majority of Composers must still follow certain 'rules'... or they rather make 'experimental' music or 'atonal' compositions, but even in this last case, there's some rules to follow to avoid to play 'wrong'. They can use some 'outside' notes to a specific scale, but 'wisely' chosen and not just any...

Here also I don't really understand the "leave" the scale ? As previously written, you can do it in some cases, but beware of the chosen notes !
    In addition, why do you want to 'leave' the scale... I mean, you find and use a scale that fit well your 'orchestral piece', why would you to leave this scale, apart if you use its relative modes, but in this case, you don't really 'leave' the main scale, its relative modes are just 'extensions' of the main scale chosen.

For the "maybe go up", I can understand this by playing in higher octaves, isn't ? In this case, nothing prevents you to play the same scale to higher octaves apart the proper register/range limitations of the chosen instrument(s).

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

The strings sound they could use some reverb.

6. HebrewInTheRain

HebrewInTheRain Noisemaker

You need to ramp the vol on the violin/viola because that is the main sound heard in an orchestral. The drums are just a heart beat for the song, and they sound good. Just pump the vol and add reverb to the strings