Need Help deciding between studio monitor or headphone.

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Nehal, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Nehal

Nehal Member

Hello guys,
    Hello hope y'all are doing marvellously well. Requesting help to decide if I should go for a studio monitor or a rather decent pair of studio headphones. I'll mention the scenario of where I mix:
    1) It's a home studio for production, mixing and mastering, mostly DI instruments are recorded and SOMETIMES Vocals too.
    2) It's an open space on the first floor.
    3) Medium sized with NO options to do acoustic treatment.
    4) There's a considerable amount of echo heard if I Clap sitting where I mix from.

Q: Is it advisable I go for studio monitors or headphones?

The options I have for studio monitors:
    1) Yamaha HS5
    2) KRK Rokit 5
    3) PreSonus Eris E3.5

The options I have for headphones are:
    1) Beyerdynamics DT-990 Pro
    2) DT 770 pro
    Please suggest any other.

Do help guys. Thanks in advance.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I vote for the : Beyerdynamics DT-990 Pro

I would try to fill the open space with old doors or old closets for example.
    To reduce the reverberation, old carpets are good and molleton curtains ! Old sofas and old mattresses are also suitable.

Stairville Curtain 300g/m² Black - 14 € Price per linear meter (use clotheslines)
    www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_buehnenmolton_schwarz.htm?sid=7fefbf9c2e3332c1d95e89a7084b67a6&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1
    www.thomann.de/de/stairville_buehnenmolton_schwarz.htm

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This bad, really bad.

ATME, mixing on 5'' (or even smaller ones) is not possible.

So even if I hardly recommend it, in your case mixing with headphones only is probably the better solution.

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

of all the listed options, the 770 are probably best since they are closed back.

6. No Avenger

Mh, difficult. For recording vocals closed backs are better (for D.I. instruments this isn't necessary), for long mixing sessions open backs, I'd say.

7. BigM

BigM Guest

Maybe a m40x,

Closed-back suitable for recordings and m40x has a bit more balanced sound(better for mix decisions) compared to others in your list. But dt-770s and 990s are much comfortable on ears.

8. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

I would get the 770s for tracking with and 990’s for mixing along with the likes of Sonarworks

9. Nehal

Nehal Member

Thank you for the answer. I'm glad you voted for the DT 990s. I'll def keep the soundproofing with the materials you suggested and will do so eventually. Thanks again.

10. Nehal

Nehal Member

Thank you for taking time to reply. I want to be able to use the headphones for recordings, mixing and mastering. Recording vocals is like 1 or 2 out of 10 project sessions.

11. Nehal

Nehal Member

Thank you for replying. I understand about the monitors. Which headphones would you suggest I go for?

12. Nehal

Nehal Member

Thank you for replying. Which one would you suggest for mixing and mastering?

13. Nehal

Nehal Member

Thank you for replying. As per many online reviews the DT 990s have a balanced sound and mix decisions can be done great on them. Isn't that right? Well yes, my priority would be able to make proper mix decisions . I will manage with the comfort by taking sufficient breaks.

14. Nehal

Nehal Member

Thank you for replying. I can afford only one for now. Which one do you think I go for? With more pref to mixing and mastering as I'll be recording DI instruments mostly.

15. No Avenger

I'd go for cheap closed for recording vocals (~$40) because you can get in heavy feedback trouble when recording vocals with open backs.

In the price range of the 990 several HPs are in the line for mixing and mastering. This is a matter of taste and preferences like freq response, loudness/impedance, cable (spiral, replaceable, mini jack), clamp pressure, ...

16. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Until you know what your room is able to give you & you’ve taken the proper steps to reinforce the acoustics, then that’s the time to get serious about monitors. Until then it’s a guessing game mixed with luck. I’d recommend buying a great pair of open back cans first. Something like Sennheiser HD650 or HD600 used along with Sonarworks SoundID.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Nehal

Nehal Member

Talking about my taste, I am primarily a bassist and would def want my tracks to have a balanced BUT decently audibly Jazz bass tone, mixed with Good punchy drums and heavy riffs. The genre I produce, mix and master mostly iw rock and its sub genres. Do the HPs give neutral sound WITHOUT flavouring, like the DT 990s ( that's what is claimed).

18. Nehal

Nehal Member

Super informative. Thank you for replying. Agreed about the choice of headphones, but aren't the HD650s known to be NOT so comfortable while mixing heavy music with guitars, bass and drums?

19. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

The 600s & 650s are known for being some of the flattest cans in the market. In combination with SoundID they're even flatter. So, in my opinion I don't think they would cause ear fatigue when mixing heavy midrange information.

I've been using the HD650s for about 4 years now. I used the 600s for over 20 before that. I recently bought some replacement pads for the 650s & they are super comfy. I don't listen extremely loud so I don't get fatigued.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...open-back-audiophile-and-reference-headphones

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...elite-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd600

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...orks-soundid-reference-for-headphones-plug-in

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  20. Nehal

Nehal Member

Roger that. This points me more to:
    1) Buying headphones over monitors, given the scenario I mentioned.
    2) Going for HD650 Headphones.

One more doubt. Do they require any kind of headphone amp to give out the cleanest sound?

21. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Nah. I assume you're using a decent interface right? Ive used the Sennys for over 20 years. I love them. Others may not. So make sure you get a chance to preview them if you can. Some people really don't like flat headphones. I do because I want to start with the "whitest sheet of paper" I can. They aren't THE FLATTEST cans in the world. But they are flat enough for me & if they were to ever take a shit, affordable enough to replace & they'll be in production for many years to come.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List