Need an all-purpose good,cheap microphone for music production. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by notremid, Jun 17, 2017.

1. notremid

notremid Producer

So I am thinking of buying my first microphone(preferably XLR and not USB) for my home studio to record vocals mainly but also a bit of hand percussion instruments, flutes, acoustic guitar, and maybe even an amp etc. I am looking for a super cheap microphone(max. 35-40 USD, yes I know:) which can do a good job for my needs.

I am looking into the Neewer N-700 or 800(both are condenser microphones) as possible candidates. Anyone has experience with those?

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and run a Windows 10 PC with Cockos REAPER as my main DAW.

Any recommendations for a micrphone(dynamic or condenser)?

3. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

a used shure 57 or 58

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. zandretta

zandretta Member

at4050 runs around 900$ sounds awesome,how ever i would suggest using something like a voice channel from art in the pipeline so things are not super dynamic and spikey coming in......

5. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

Rode M3 was advertised for sounding richer than it's price tag. I had a pair of Rode NT1a.. didn't like the sound (but that can be irrelevant)

under 150 (for vocals).. difficult :dunno:

6. TW

TW Guest

Shure sm 57 (or 58). That's probably the best mic that is near your budget range and meets (nearly) all your requirements. And it is well known and trusted.

7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

would have to agree with the Shure 57 or 58... get them used.. they are ubiquitous..and versatile..

sadly you will find.. 1 mic will end up not being sufficient.. unless maybe you will be working mostly in the box..

neither one of those mics is stellar for recording vocals.. but those are your starting point.... used
    re-stating the obvious... 57 for amps/drums (snare is classic) , 58 for vocals

I have seen some reviews of Neewer mics..and hate to say .. the guy really
    only bought it for the accessories that came with it... ouch !

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2017
  8. Please, if for nothing else than for your art, hold off on only spending your max $40 and save to buy yourself at least an SM58/57. Either of these two mics will kick butt over the Neewer microphones that you have asked about with both arms tied behind their backs, blindfolded and drunk. Yes, both of the Neewer microphones will pass signal, but I have seen their guts and know that they have not only the cheapest of the cheap components, but that anything that you would record with them will mimic the sound of fingernails scraping a blackboard. The Scarlett has enough clean gain to help make the Shure mics sound very good and you could actually record a gold selling album with these tools at your command. Not so with the Neewer, the best you could ever do with them is...not even close to even good. So, if you had the greatest tunes in the world and were an amazing producer you would still damage the ears of those listening to your work, they are that shit. However, with a bit of patience and a little bit more money, if you wished that large capsule condensor that you asked about, I could guarantee you very, very good quality recordings (if you used them to their capacity with good mic placement in your room ) if you bought one of Gushon's extremely affordable, quality controlled using very good components 3U Black/Blue CM1 microphones. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Audio-BL...ophone-Vocal-Instrument-Pro-Mic-/112028227016. He uses Wima capacitors and the tone of the microphone is uncolored, HAS ONLY 7db of SELF NOISE, can handle any loud sound that you throw at it, and in addition will be exponentially more a cherished tool in your studio than your original query could ever be, IMHO. So, please heed my advice and warning, save a little and be happy, or wind up having to spend more money replacing the shit sounding and worthless Neewer microphones after you throw them against the wall to kill them or drop them from a height just to watch them break apart on the sidewalk below.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. notremid

notremid Producer

Thank you all for your valuable insights and recommendations. In light of that, I will hold off on getting one right away and try to get a good deal on a used Shure SM-57, which I guess will be a good option for me.

SM-57's are ubiquitous in studios, I have seen and heard them recording drums,guitars, amps etc but how do they fare on recording vocals? Will it require a pop filter or foam cover to record vocals with the SM57 ?

10. TW

TW Guest

you should get a popfilter or a foam cover for vocals. There are people mainly in the voice over corner that they with a foam cover it sounds "more" like a sm7b than with a pop filter. I prefer the foam cause it smoothes out a bit more "harshness" from the 57 vocals than a popfilter does. But thats my subjective feel.

I dont want to start a discussion a sm7b is a glorified sm 57 (which in my opinion is the truth :yes:)

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I'll be interested to test this claim.. but I'm dubious... based on price for one.. $300 vs.. $100
    and the fact that sm7b is often used as a broadcaster mic...

but to your point the 58 has the same cartridge as the 57 just with the globed grille
    which you can probably find separately .. and voila 2 mics for the price of one !

12. TW

TW Guest

I got 4 sm57 (2 tranformer moded) and a sm7b. And the sm7 is better but it is not 3 times better than a 57. I did some tests years ago. And well recorded ...in a mix ... blind test ... good luck to spot a sm57 against a sm7b :winker:.

Edit: vocals i am talking only about vocals ...

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I will say the sm7b.. has a very pronounced bass response with vocals.. I'm shocked if you are asserting that the 57 does too.. :cool:

14. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    You cannot find a decent studio mic for 35 bucks.
    Save a little and get a condenser. Dynamic mics require some vocal tricks to sound good.
    I would recommend a Behringer B2 Pro, it's the ultimate bang for your buck deal. A pop filter isn't absolutely necessary. Put the diaphragm a little sideways, and sing in an oblique direction, not directly into the mic.

15. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

16. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Shure SM57. I think I know mics and I will happily use anything as long as it has a cable attached but the 1 all-rounder is the SM57.

17. Oh my goodness, let's not get into a big tussle about 57 vs SM7B. The reality is they are two fantastic mics, differently engineered as well as differently voiced. They have the same capsule (I believe, never took either apart) and one has a transformer and the other not. They look different and sound different but are certainly within the same family of tone. I would venture to say that perhaps 96% of any record with live drums or recorded guitars has a 57 listening in on the conversation, and the venerable SM7B has been put to use on thousands and thousands upon thousands of vocals, kick drums, guitar cabs, toms, and other percussion. Of the two the 7MB is the more versatile with it's bass rolloff and voicing switches, so right there it says much concerning the difference in price.

@notremid .. you will get lots and lots out of your 57 when you finally find one that you can afford, and it will sound good on a variety of sources. On a side note, they have been using 57s at the White House now for decades as THE mic their rap vocals, president after president. If the 57 can make even all that bullshit sound good, just imagine what you'll accomplish with one!

18. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Who here tried removing the transformer of a 57?

19. TW

TW Guest

Me. Got 2 standart sm 57 and 2 that i used for round about 2 years without the trasnformer. I modded/added (cause i got them cheapo) 2 tab funkenwerk transformers. A nice upgrade.

They sound smoother without the transformer but have a lesser output .... obviously...

20. peghead

peghead Producer

Sorry but I clicked the "disagree" by mistake and don't know how to fix it.

21. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Hit the "undo rating" thingy on the right next to the rating you've put.