Need advices for Compressor Limiter / Analog rack for EDM

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Kunter2011, Jun 25, 2024.

1. Kunter2011

Kunter2011 Ultrasonic

Hi All,

I want to experience some hybrid setup for my studio. I would like to take advices for best options for analog rack Mastering Limiter which works best for EDM genre. I am not interested with plugins; I am making researchment for analog device before I buy.

Thanks in advance.

3. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

4. Kunter2011

Kunter2011 Ultrasonic

Between 3k-5k usd

5. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

Save your money, no mastering will rescue a bad mix.

A good mix just need a limiter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

with that budget and no additional info, I think you will end up at the Bettermaker.

7. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

It sounds you need a limiter for live use, a pair of Empirical Labs Distressors will do nicely. Not cheap though.

I have (and others have gone the same route) of just using FMR's RNC as a master safety valve. Because it's cheap, cheerful, and tiny.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

The tools are pretty source agnostic for this particular purpose.

Consider something with recall like a Bettermaker the price is within your wheelhouse add a Tegeler Audio Creme RC and you are at 5K with good compression and limiting and a color machine with EQ. Both have recall and can that can greatly simplify your life as you learn them or even if you just like to experiment and don't yet have the habit of taking constant notes / stepped controls / that rabbit hole is deep.

for 5K you can also get a RND Portico.

Like I said to start with mastering dynamics gear is pretty signal agnostic, mastering color EQs are a different beast though.

What issues are you having with software limiters that are making you think a hardware unit is going to give you better results?

9. Kunter2011

Kunter2011 Ultrasonic

Thank you for your advices. There is no prob with software plugins; I just want to change the way of my hobby. Till so far I have Bettermaker Mastering Limiter 2.0 and this Tegeler Audio Creme RC added to my plan list. Tegeler seems interesting...

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

Obviously, this is some sort of attempt to talk your work up to yourself; but really this comment is completely counterproductive. Even for that purpose. It makes it clear you do not know what you are talking about.

You can't (and shouldn't) "fix a bad mix" when you are mastering someone else's project. The mixing is done already, and not your problem. Everyone who is going to pay someone else for mastering fully knows "you cant polish a turd". But all your negative outlook will fix is them not giving you the work or their money. If someone sends you something for mastering, and you almost verbally reject their work because their mixing is not to your liking, you will never get another track from that possible "Customer". Don't make unrealistic promises of results you cannot deliver. Telling someone their mix sucks when you want the work is nothing but condescending.

11. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Hmmm Hardware limiter

Erm

Hmm

"Well , i will say this> Regarding compression. although its rare as rocking horse shit, the tubetech cl1b Hardware is pure gold"

Which isnt a limiter i realise this.

im trying to think of what ive used before regarding hardware limiting/clipping
    cant remember if the focusrite stuff i had was just compressors as i had like 7 of them,

Lemme take a look and see if i can help

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is why I spent the appropriate 30 seconds typing what will end up being the correct answer anyway. The Bettermaker is kind of famous in the EDM production world for being a great clipper, and not the $12,000 other units may cost. Maybe the best clipper in the price range. Similar to how the RND Portico is known for being maybe the best bus compressor ever. But It's still often followed up with a dedicated limiter like the RND MBC. By that point you are doing some maybe world-class summing too, though. That little 8 channel SSL mixer for about $1000-ish and the "cheaper" Bettermaker 2 may still make more sense in the long run. With no details given to existing gear, workflow, or any of that you are just comparing some units. That is almost always going to result in a bad decision, such as you suggest. I'm not going to worry about the rest. There are lots of other "studios" on here that only exist in fantasy land.

13. shinyzen

shinyzen Rock Star

14. Kunter2011

Kunter2011 Ultrasonic

Dear LinoBanfi

First of all I dont know who you are and you dont know who am I... So please kindly save your abusive comments to yourself.

As I am 48 years old human being who is against this kind of snobbish approaches and I dont want to see this type of insulting and abusive comments under my own topic.

Secondly whats the idea of getting attention in an audio forum? Nothing and this is so childish... so please stop this!

This is my 3rd year in music adventure and I want to advance myself within time and I decided to dive into analog devices also wanted to hear opinions from people who have experience and knowledge for this topic.

Lastly yes I am hobbyist and people can expertise themselves with their hobbies. I ve no attention of changing your mind and the way of your toxic thoughts.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

Partially agree, I tried to put the focus about the common mistake that consider mastering stage as a mix rescue or a game changer, an analogue chain can't do better of a digital one if in wrong hands, 99% of the work is done by the mixer engineer, producer, composer etc