Need Advice For Track.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by sada asdasdasd, Dec 9, 2017.

1. sada asdasdasd

sada asdasdasd Member

Greetings, I finished A new track and I wanted to know your opinions about it! :D

Thanks In Advance! :D :) :bow:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  3. Satai

Satai Rock Star

The speakers/headphones you're listening on when mixing are hyping up and exaggerating the high frequencies. So you've made the track quite dulled-sounding, it lacks the high end to the point that the listener's like "why is that chopped off, then?". It's a lo-fi dream but still needs the high end revitalized somewhat.

Best way to do that is laborious and boring. Load a similar track that you like the sound of, already mastered and released. Listen to it then flip to yours, then back. And make high end adjustments until you got the balance pretty close, so your track does not sound too muffled compared to reference.

4. sada asdasdasd

sada asdasdasd Member

5. sada asdasdasd

sada asdasdasd Member

Like this?

6. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Yep! The high end opened up nice. But now you lost the original balance of the low Thump relative to the high end sparkles (always happens when you adjust either of them).

Your kickdrum's being way too boomy and overpowering currently, and I think it could use more definition, tightness to it (multiband compression targeting just the bass/kick, maybe). Also try taking out some 300hz with an EQ , to see if you get more tightness that way.

Another trick with the reference track you can use: get a plugin VU meter, use it to measure the average level of your track. Turn it up (or down) until you see the VU meter needle sitting at around 0. Do the same thing on the track where you have your already-mastered reference. Now they're roughly the same average loudness. Look at them with a spectral analyzer, and pay attention where the big boss bass peaks are sitting in the reference (how high they climb, where they hang out most of the time), compared to yours. Adjust so that yours is balanced more like the reference. This will help a lot even if your speakers are shit at reproducing the bass properly. The balance of the highs will be lost again so you will need to adjust that again relative to your new bossy reference-matched bass, the goal is to make the balance between them sound good - and it's way easier to hear the mids/highs on shit speakers than the bass.

If yours has way too much bounce (I don't think it does in this track,but in general) -> you probably need to multiband compress the bass area.

If yours has similar bounce but is just going way higher than the reference's, then you probably can EQ that area down so it's closer to reference. Use an "analog" type EQ for bass, linear phase ones works better for highs.

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Maybe a bit more like this? (despite the hh)

8. sada asdasdasd

sada asdasdasd Member

I tried my best with the bass :bow:

9. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Much better!

10. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

You gotta be careful with the referencing tho, unless we're talking about loudness level comparisons. Other than that, When it comes to overall frequency or area peaks like bass or etc. You can't accurately relate your song to the reference song unless it has the same count (AND TYPES/recording sources) of elements/tracks and also playing in the same key. If it's not super similar in all those aspects then I find it pointless unless (as stated already) we're talking about just the loudness levels. Referencing with an orange track when yours is a pear, it won't accurately help much in the end. Being in the same genre is not enough. It needs the same key, same elements, same articulations, similar vocalist, similar amount of backing vocals during either the verse or chorus, etc. You can only get a shallow and brief idea of how "official release" sounds like, but frequency comparing and diving too deep into referencing won't help imho, unless the songs are darn similar as mentioned.

Evorax

11. jei.doublerice

jei.doublerice Newbie

i think the hi-hat is pretty overwhelming tbh, maybe try turning it down a little and add just a tiny bit of reverb?