Need advaice on OSX upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by pandroid, Sep 29, 2018.

?

Which OSX would you recommed for best audio performace?

1. OS X 10.11 El Capitan

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. OS X 10.12 Sierra

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. OS X 10.13 High Sierra

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. OS X 10.14 Mojave (rather not I assume)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pandroid

pandroid Member

Hi guys!

My master computer is Mac Pro Mid 2012 with 2x 3.33GHz Intel Xenon and 48GB of Ram. I'm currently considering upgrade it with a fresh OSX install. I'm currently on 10.10.5 Yosemite since at least 3-4 years already :) And I feels it's time to upgrade since there's a lot of trash in the system and I believe it will gain performance boost from that. I wonder though where to go, I'd like to do it once and forget about it for at least another couple of years. Could you let me know what you experiences on certain systems or the upgrades itself?

Thanks in advance!

3. statik

statik Audiosexual

if any you should atleast upgrade to 10.11, 10.10 has several issues that could cause problems and/or slow down your system.

if you wanna use logic pro 10.2 (i think) and up you'll have to upgrade to sierra

4. Old X

Old X Guest

As I recall El Capitan is solid one, if you aren't using Logic X tho which requires Sierra, many vendors list 10.11.x as minimum requirement these days as far as I can tell, so it's safest bet.

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

High Sierra, reasons:
    1) El Cap would be no big leap forward from your current Yosemite, not worth the hassle imo
    2) right now, High Sierra is at latest "final" (10.13.6) release, so shouldn't require any (major) updates anymore, so whatever you install now should be good to go for some time
    3) your MacPro might not be compatible with Mojave (and so any future MacOS) depending on graphics card you have, so High Sierra could be the very latest MacOS you can actually use without major issues.....until your Mac Pro dies completely
    4) High Sierra offers new superior filesystem for SSDs, so assuming you'd get SSD for OS, you'd take a major advantage of it (also keep in mind any DMG image made in recent MacOS versions have specific filesystem, so you'd need adequately newer MacOS to open them anyway)
    5) as of today, El Cap is already not supported by various softwares (current MS Office requires Sierra and up; same for current Logic or Final Cut), due to major change in graphics API (Metal) introduced in Sierra (and literally same since then) I guess
    6) High Sierra is somewhat polished Sierra, and even Mojave isn't major leap forward, so you're literally getting best without missing anything fancy (except dark mode, yea who cares)
    7) you haven't mentioned your audio interface, but I assume its manufacturer won't bother releasing newer drivers for older MacOS (unless it's RME)

6. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

go with SIR. 10.12 the most stable I install. mojve and make a big mystic, not only as music but geek stuff to
    it was not giving you modified many think in mojve !
    plus the dark theme is not worth it !

stay with 10.12 !

7. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

10.13 had issues with plugins getting registered by the system. You have to reboot every time you install new ones like it's Windows 98. How horribly can one dev fuck up an os?
    10.14 doesn't work for me at all on my hackintosh. Everytime I load a waves plugin the whole host crashes. Probably an GPU rendering issue. Sierra works smooth like butter for me since 2017.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Soulmattho

Soulmattho Newbie

Go up to Sierra and stay there. I have it working with Protools an everything works great, you don't need all that Home Hub software on an audio system, and for sure you don't need a new file system, that has lots of issues and can only be used on newest computers.

I also heard a lot of bad stuff about audio plugs and 10.13. Might be better now, but why go there.

The only problem in 10.12 is Display-Link, because the drivers are almost broken, but if you don't use it, forget it

9. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

I went from Snow leopard to Sierra then High Sierra and I am staying here for a while because it’s been very stable.

No major issues with any plugins.

10. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

OS 10.12.4 Sierra. It's just ultra stable and I run everything through it with no fault. I still hear problems with High Sierra, Let alone Mojave.
    Plus the smart move is to Never jump on the newest OS by Apple when it first hits.

Good Luck! :wink: