Need a Good Reference Track - rock ballad with full orchestra - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Cardamom, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Hey there. You guys have been great to me in the past re some feedback and comments, so thanks in advance for this one.

Who here can give me their idea of the 'perfect mix/mastering job' on a song that features a full orchestra (including tympani drums, orchestral percussion cymbals, horns, strings section, etc.) AND a rock component (stereo distorted guitars, stereo arping guitars, acoustics, EZdrummer kit, tambs etc.) and the MAIN instrument being a piano and lead vocal?

The closest ones I can get to are:
    Don't Wanna Miss A Thing and You Raise Me Up (but no rockin' component there, though ...)

Want to make sure I mix this 'I have bitten off more than I can chew' work as best as I'm able.

And hey, if there's anyone who thinks that they would like to try their hand at mixing such a freak-monster, they are MORE THAN WELCOME to ask me for the raw tracks and I will let you go to town on it.

As this piece is religious, it is niche, but that being said, we have already got airplay on a song we wrote and which is not unlike this new project and it continues to get airplay, as evidenced from our regular (but very 'wee') royalty deposit-cheques! (Very hard to believe this is still going on after 7 years!) So it will most likely get into the same hands as before and get airtime. Mixing or mastering credits could be yours! Whoo-hoo, huh?

My ears have gotten so attuned to this one mix and my sporadic health issues don't always allow for regular time at the studio helm, so if anyone is seriously interested, let me know. And let me hear of any mixing experience (with examples) that would make you feel you could maybe take this on 'pro-bono'.

Thanks in advance for at worst, any good thoughts re a song that would be a better or equivalent mix reference to 'Don't Wanna Miss A Thing'.

3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Master Q seems to always be looking for mixing/mastering projects on here. He might be interested.

4. Master Q

Master Q Producer

[QUOTE="subGENRE, post: 230676, member: 1312"USER=28374]@Master Q[/USER] seems to always be looking for mixing/mastering projects on here. He might be interested.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Plug Sir... @subGENRE ! ;D

@Cardamom nothings a challege its all one big experiement but good thing I do this for a living ... Inbox me and we can talk details, sounds like a very intresting piece.

5. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

US rockers R3D are a perfect example (mixed by Ben Grosse):

fully orchestrated and very well done.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  6. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

You might wanna check out Quadraphenia

7. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Just found a live version, but try to listen to the ost. Has everything you ask for, and Zimmer is guaranteed to have a perfect production.

8. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Mutt Lange is a good reference if you like how he treats the piano

9. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Rage - Lingua Mortis

Nuff said.

:)

11. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

Oh wow! Just noticed all the responses! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! Looking forward to checking ALL of these out and sticking them in my DAW layout for my song.

Have a great long weekend (if you're American) and a great weekend anyway (if you ain't). :)

All the best!

~Cardamom

12. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Remember when Metallica mixed rock with orchestra? Yuk!!!!

13. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Oldie but goodie...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  14. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Just saw what you meant by R3D! This is an awesome track....it's on a top 5 rotation in my car and as a reference track!

15. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Kapellmeister

Not entirely with orchestra, but..

16. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

This one is really good

17. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Full orchestra doesn't make much sense to me in a Rock song which could result in things clashing with each other instead of complimenting each other(Metallica's S&M comes to mind). Maybe strings in the background and some brass stabs here and there, can't imagine timpani and other percussion in the mix unless used in a quiet part of the song. I would suggest Aerosmith's "Ain't That a Bitch" from Nine Lives album. It is more Rocking than "I Don't wanna miss a thing" imo.

18. cooper

cooper Member

Perhaps something along the lines of symphonic metal (or symphonic pop-metal if that's a thing ) ?

?

I can think of several bands that have incorporated full orchestras to their productions... But I can't think of a single song that fits all the criteria you pointed out... I recall several songs from that Within Temptation DVD that might be in the ball park, but not exactly as the piano takes some protagonism mainly during verses, or bridges...