Nebula Vintage Equalizer Shootout on Vocals (API, Neve, Pultec, RND, SSL)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by covaloid, Jan 26, 2017.

?

Which is your favorite of the following equalizers?

1. API 5500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Neve 1073

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. Pultec EQP-1A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. RND 5033

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. SSL 4000E Brown 02 Eq

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

In continuing with my previous thread I decided to test the other typical vintage equalizers out there using the various Nebula libraries I currently have. Like the previous example I used the "Tonio" Vocaloid library for the example (sorry for not using a real human's voice); I used a snippet from another one of the songs I am making a piano and voice cover of though.

Note
    I uploaded two of the Neve 1073s one normal without any post eq, and another with the high end reduced a little to be somewhat similar to the frequency curves on the other examples. Other than that all the examples show pretty much the same frequency response with slight variations due to the Q factors on the different equalizers; I cut the low-mids about 6dB and a boosted around 4-5 kHz at about 6dB. Due to high end hiss in the Vocaloid samples I didn't do any high end boost over 8 kHz except in the first Neve example which only has a high end shelf and no bell.

I tested a API 5500, Neve 1073, Pultec EQP-1A, RND 5033, and a SSL 4000E Brown 02 Eq which you can listen to below.

Thoughts
    I think I am leaning towards the API, I really like the edge it seems to give the vocal. The Neve without the high end reduction actually doesn't sound too bad either, I might go that route if I can get it to sit well with the piano track. Please share your thoughts and vote on your favorite equalizer.

3. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Nice post. Very gearslutz-esque. :)

4. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

Here are the uncompressed 16 bit wav files for those of you who are interested.
    Code:
    http://www106.zippyshare.com/v/ulPN4zra/file.html

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@covaloid thanks for the presentation...somehow I wish you used a real human voice for this... the vocaloid "weirdness"
    (for lack of a better term) sort of got in the way of my evaluation... maybe others are attuned to that sound,
    but made it sort of un-listenable for me...

6. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

@Herr Durr I was making all these comparisons myself for some Vocaloid covers I was doing for fun so I decided to share them here in case anyone was interested in the sound of these equalizers, sorry again for the "weirdness".