Nebula 4 Jump on or...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vaijj, Oct 15, 2020.

1. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Stumbled across this while Googling for Lindell info. At 7:10 he gets one of the many memory & CPU warnings that result from just trying to use Acustica plugins in a DAW session. Happens multiple times during the video.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Don't know what's wrong with his system, but while I'm typing this, I run 14 Magenta channel strips with everything switched on and no stuttering or dropouts, no matter if I switch the EQs, preamps or even presets with completely different settings, at 256 buffer size and ~ 50% CPU load. Maybe he should use Reaper? [​IMG]

And regarding the price tag, Amethyst is half of PA bx_2098, has switchable EQs and a compressor - gimme a sec, I'm just duplicating a track and replace Magenta with Amethyst - jepp, correct and still no warnings (with the track running), oh and it sounds better. :yes:

But the vid looks interesting. :winker:

EDIT: Ah, the nerd is using the ZL version. Bad mistake, uses more CPU and sounds worse.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  3. Krugen

Krugen Ultrasonic

just tried tim petherick's ssl emulation and holy crap it sounds amazing :woot:

4. No Avenger

Interestingly, in this vid you can see:
    - AA Sand compressor 0,2% CPU load, 1310 latency
    - Tim Patherick L-Bus 1,3% CPU load, 2334 latency

:woot:

5. Krugen

Krugen Ultrasonic

i wonder if there are any settings in nebula we can tweak to make it sound even better

6. No Avenger

There are bunch of parameters in N4 to tweak. Sadly, these are almost a science on its own and mainly for performance, not for sound, AFAIK.

7. Krugen

Krugen Ultrasonic

I see. thanks for the heads up
    I've read somewhere you need to tweak a certain parameter to adjust some compressor's release time, which was a bit wrong

8. tamere

tamere Platinum Record

Just bought Nebula4 on sales. its so much better now having different setups for libs. very easy to do. still love my Aqua plugins but happy to be finaly on board after nebula3

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  9. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

You just need good monitors a decent room and reference material constantly.

10. tnc

tnc Producer

Several years ago I tried some Acoustica Audio and concluded that it was bloated shit. BUT. I just tried some Aquarius freebies from them.
    One EQ (Coffee The Pun) and one compressor (Tan Free). The compressor was boring but the EQ actually added something extra. It sounded like it went through some special treatment, nothing like the normal EQ's I would normally use (UAD Pultec emu's, Pro Q etc). There was some "mojo" involved, at least this is my first impression using headphones (will check in my treated studio tomorrow).
    It felt like the audio passed through a hardware unit somehow. Like using a convolution amp simulator, or convolution reverb with real-life recordings.

The free compressor on the other hand I didn't think much of, felt lame and didn't add any "mojo". I haven't worked with any expensive studio hardware in my life so I can't make a real comparison. I don't know what these VST's were trying to emulate either...

Now.. to me, Acoustica Audio has too many alternatives with weird names. The only way to know if they are any good is to try them all. Which is too time-consuming.
    Or maybe there are top-notch mixers/producers (I'm very picky) which can swear by some specific emulations/products. I don't trust most people on forums since you never know how good they are at mixing or what their productions sound like... so it's mostly useless information when someone makes a claim that something is really good, without adding audio examples with before and after added fx.

I don't really understand their different products (Nebula vs Aqua vs Aquarius vs hordes of different weird named "emulations").
    Anyone care to explain?

11. No Avenger

The difference is easy to explain.
    Aquarius is their download and installation tool, so no sound at all.
    Aqua are their main and own fully fledged plugins, like Gold (Neve), Pink (API) and so on.
    Nebula you can see like Kontakt. It's a host for their mostly smaller libraries and for third party libraries (i. e. Tim P. and Alex B.).

12. tnc

tnc Producer

Thanks.. they should really explain this on their main page.. it's like a sales representative made their webpage. They dont even list plugins that was released in 2014 which makes me wonder if they were any good back then...

They also have something called "Modula"... is that also a VST plugin? Does all their plugins use sampling-technology (convolution-alike)?

13. No Avenger

14. Hooman.Leys

Hooman.Leys Platinum Record

Deleted by user

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  15. Voekit

Voekit Producer

Well, N4 always have updated CORE Version.
    But I prefer Acqua because I can using multiple bands in one instance.

16. No Avenger

So did Aqua just recently.

But this
    is of course a big advantage.

17. tamere

tamere Platinum Record

Tim Petherick updated his ssl bus comp to v2 and with the new azzimov skin its wonderful to use and sounds awesome :)

18. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Fancy sharing your thoughts, please?

19. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

The SSL V6 Native bundle is the same DSP/sound as the V5 bundle made available on the sister site. The primary changes are the updated the GUI's.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  20. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I have the older version and know factually,that there are differences when compared. I personally never pay attention to the GUI unless it disrupts workflow.

Have also been testing Softube offerings & find the Weiss plugins excellent & easy on the CPU compared to Acustica plugins.
    Weiss & SSL have sonic qualities that are very unique. Also like the DDMF 6144.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List