NE1 now how to exreact .Vstsound files?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by tfmc369, Jun 15, 2022.

1. tfmc369

tfmc369 Member

Has anyone figured out a way to open and extract the audio files from a Steinberg .Vstsound file ?

3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

They are syncrosoft encrypted packages and we won't be able to just unpack them.
    For breaking the encryption it's really another story. Trying to break a decent encryption by bruteforce measures is almost impossible. It depends on type of encrytion, length and complexity of the key.
    The only thing that might help would be the encryption key. Steinberg will be very careful with these.

Check here how long it would take to crack a key of 12 digits containing upper/lower case and special characters (!$ยง...):
    https://www.passwordmonster.com/

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  4. Lagring

Lagring Ultrasonic

Interesting... Wouldn't the encryption key need to be somewhere inside Cubase / Nuendo for them to decrypt the files?
    If so, perhaps the key can be extracted from there. I have no idea how this all works, just spitballin'.

5. tfmc369

tfmc369 Member

I would think there has to be a way, because like you said,
    "Wouldn't the encryption key need to be somewhere inside Cubase / Nuendo for them to decrypt the files?"
    I have Cubase, and they show up there as folders and audio files in the folders, is there any way to export them as audio files using Cubase or some other Steinberg program?
    Thanx

6. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I don't think its that easy.
    First thing would be to find where the encryption key is inside a software binary and the encrytion key may be encrypted itself. Its key could be extracted from a serial number, for example, so that it does not necessarily have to be in the software. Or the software does a request on the Steinberg server or if present on the eLicenser. There are endless possibilities.

There are reasons why states would prefer to ban strong encryption.
    https://proton.me/blog/usa-laed-act-anti-encryption

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022