Native Instruments Service center (busted???)

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogue86, Oct 4, 2015.

1. rogue86

rogue86 Newbie

Hi i downloaded guitar rig free version and there was also the NI service center included.
    When i opened it all my NI libraries appeared, they are downloaded from audioz.eu.
    You think they can track someone this way? or unless you dont update anything there is no problem?

Thanks!

3. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

Best Answer
    you will not have any issues.
    service centre acts as a way to manage your licenses and update products.

you can block service centres outgoing if you want, but i have some legit ni stuff and some non and i've never had any issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. rogue86

rogue86 Newbie

Thank you!

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

[Edited: I only use Kontakt from NI, so there's no need to worry if you use cr@cked/KGned NI stuff]

rickbarrayy, are you sure? For the same reason that is the tool to manage your NI licenses including checking them using internet they could easily track you if they want. I'm not saying they do it, but I wouldn't push my luck.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

It's possible but I don't think companies would go that far. And if they track a person in that sense, track him for what exactly? To sue him/her? I don't think they will waste that much money and time to to get compensation or reimbursement for few hundred dollars.

I have legit and warez NI products and never had any problems going online with service center being active. On the other hand, many people advise not to go online when using wares as an extra precaution. Another thing you can do if you worry, just block whatever product from going online by modifying your host file or use other apps like little snitch if you are on mac. I don't know what application windows use in this case.

7. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

No worries. I used to run a bunch of K'd and legit N.I. crap together all the time. The K'd versions bypass the service center and if you take a double look at rickbarretts post, it is easy to block the app with a few keystokes on your keyboard

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I don't know, perhaps a warning if you have very expensive warez NI stuff (Komplete?). I go online always blocking the soft it needs to. With warezed NI stuff Service Center does nothing. When you install legit NI soft you're exposing your warezed NI stuff.

Anyway, if there aren't reports in sites like this I suppose it's not dangerous.

I just remembered reading your post that I was thinking only in Kontakt libraries (I only use Kontakt from NI), which don't have Kgn nor the possibility to block Kontakt if you want to use legit libraries. Well, at least if you want to register them.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I use both LEGIT Kontakt and K'd to check out new libraries I am not sure I want to spend a months rent on... I can tell you that I use service center regularly , and it is no problem....

10. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Just because you add a library to Service Center doesn't mean you HAVE to have a serial number. If you don't have a serial number (on Service Center), it only means you didn't register it. For all NI knows, you were using a trial version of a library and never bought it... happens all the time. I have tons of stuff on Service Center that I don't even have in ANY of my computers/drives because I deleted them (because they sucked!!)

BTW (for you Paranoids!): On a Mac, you can delete everything from Service Center by deleting the plists. Be sure to make a back up (.zip file works best) of all your current plists to reload them later. Delete them, then launch Service Center and it will update YOUR Service Center. I do this once in a while just to freak out NI... You just have to remember to block Service Center in your Firewall. You will have to add ALL your libraries to Kontakt again... so some of you may not want to do this. Also... if you screw up your plists, you may lose some libraries... so if you don't know what you're doing... just remain VERY paranoid as you are being watched by the Internet Police and the DCMA...

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Good to know. I'm not a security paranoic but in this case may be I was.

You use both legit and Kgen'd Kontakt? I read in Kontakt Guru's thread that it's hard.

12. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

It'll make it easier for me to reply if you quote me then i can see the notification.

you'll be ok and if you are that paranoid buy it.

a lot of the NI stuff is well worth the value, i rely on massive so much wish i could pull myself away from it and dive into serum more, but massives like a cuddly old girlfriend :)

think of the libs as basically a preset.
    you load it, it loads the samples and you have a GUI.

only the officially licenced stuff will have a code.

13. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Perhaps it is, and I was afraid to try, but I am in a unique situation, where I use Ableton most of the time when writing, and Ableton allows for a separate VST folder for just THAT program… So that's where I put my k'd Kontakt (on OSX btw), and I have not had a problem yet! I have legit Kontakt in my AU folder, and they don't conflict, I have actually used 2 different versions of Kontakt 5 in the same session no problem….

As lucky sevens explained better, Service center just thinks perhaps you are demoing those libraries, "it" doesn't care, and I don't register them through that, but that way I am able to check out stuff and some of the more expensive libraries before spending too much money on something that blows!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I forgot. Anyway, I was just curious and other users cleared my doubts. For me it doesn't make a difference if I'm paranoid or not with this topic because I always use Kgned Kontakt. I have legit K.Player libraries but tweaking the scripts and effects puts full Kontakt on another whole level.

Haha, I know the feeling. It's just I don't use NI stuff other than Kontakt. I'm a metal head and Massive is not my thing. But only reading every audio soft site on the planet I can tell Massive must be great, as well as Serum. You know, "Sylenth vs Massive vs Serum" hot discussions and so on. Good times for synth lovers, right? ;).

Yeah, that was my main doubt. If you want to register a legit library while using non legit ones.

Cool... I'll tell this trick to my brother in law. He has a Mac and sometimes he plays with Kontakt.

15. oscill8r

oscill8r Member

Don't you have to login with NI Centre anyway? Kinda stupid to do that if your are running warez, otherwise who cares if it talks to NI?

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This thread is about one user who has legit _and_ non legit NI software. I don't find it stupid at all.