Native Instruments Massive X - First Look & Features Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Pollice verso, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

"In this video we are using an early beta version of Massive X that might differ from the K12 release version"

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

It sounds great and looks like kinda like a Reactor instrument...not a bad thing, just saying.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Such a disapointment.. After the hype they tried to build and the delayed release i was for sure expecting something more than a already outdated plugin. Sure there are some nice features but after playing around with it for some time now it will now be something that will fall back for other more inspiring plugins. Clearly not as ground breaking as Massive once was.. Well, maybe time will change my mind but i doubt that..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

NI stated that Massive X is not a Reaktor instrument and as such, cannot run inside Reaktor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

Warning! Needs an cpu with AVX. Won't run otherwise. Hope they reconsidder...UVI did for their The Plate plugin.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. babuk

babuk Producer

You mean it needs at least an old i5 cpu from 2011 (sandy bridge)

8. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

Haha yeah, I have 4 core2quads machines running @3.6-4ghz (3 VEP slaves) with PCI audio RME cards. I know I am not the only one. UVI fixed the AVX demand too. But I am not to hopeful with NI. The UVI plate already ran without AVX, but with very high CPU load. They optimized later which reduced it by over 60%.

9. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

You know, I got Pigments not that long ago... Seems like this doesn't offer a whole lot that Pigments doesn't do except for a little more freedom in routing (which admittedly is a big deal for me), and from what I can tell, it seems like pigments has a much better workflow and UI.

Having to establish every single connection within the synth through a patch cable system in its own window seems like a big fat pain in the ass. I don't think anyone has managed to do this whole "modern modular" thing better than Avenger. Who, again, doesn't get enough credit IMHO. Boggles my mind to see the popularity of things like Serum or Massive and the relative obscurity of Avenger, which is objectively better in a whole host of ways and only falls short in some minor details

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

its purely coded in C++ they said from ground up.

everybody still hates the devs behind Avenger and their super secure protection and therefore nobody talks good about it. (just my guess ...)

11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Possible, I guess. Like how everyone hated Cubase until it went on sale, now everyone on here has cubase :rofl:

Avenger itself doesn't use elicenser though. Just the rest of the Vengeance lineup

12. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

13. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

I guess Lois Lane only means, that it has a look (GUI) of the Reaktor instrument..
    I spend way too much on these toys.. have also a devil's deal w/ NI. So I can and I will download it.. later. I am paying for this, but I sincerely hope they crack it ASAP, otherwise it's a dead synth. You have to give this stuff to the kids.. just look how many tuts are on YT w/ Massive vs say Avenger. Even ADSR&co don't bother too much. Remember Sylenth1? Dead.
    U sure? It's hard enough (for me!) to work with a tool that I hate(d).. let alone w/ one that make me feel old. :rofl:

14. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

This one was "cracked" even before it was released.:rofl:I think NI rushed it. No stand alone and many issues :

Mac OS 10.14 Mojave: mouse handling, grant permissions to the DAW in Security & Privacy,
    Accessibility
    FL Studio 20: can freeze while quitting the host with Massive X loaded as an (AU)
    FL Studio 20: when loading a preset (VST) the interface will shrink. Fix: close and open interface.
    Text input does not work correctly when Massive X is hosted in Komplete Kontrol software or
    Maschine KPI view - with specific DAWs (Cubase and Studio One)
    Using the freeze function in Logic 10.4.5 or Ableton Live 10 may result in incorrect rendered audio:
    save your project before freezing the track.
    Logic 10.4.5: toggling track on/off without saving the project, will result in Massive X reloading the
    previously saved state.

15. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

Oops, sry can't get around all the legit and ckd stuff so fast.. LOL. @The Pirate, do you have a secretary..? :winker: U 2 fast & effective for a one man band..;)
    So, the good news:
    The bad news: this is half baked synth.. it's so obvious, they could non postpone it another time. I mean, there is almost no visual feedback.. What year is it?! And the worst part, from the beginning of this project I had a feeling that they don't really know what they want to achieve. If it wasn't backed up by the NI aggressive marketing.. Well, let's see, what is this capable of.

I am worried, how will Baxter explain synthesis to us, like: "Bring up The Gorilla and then just low-pass.." :hahaha:

16. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

While I really like Massive (old) and I'm sure Massive X is a great synth, AT FIRST SIGHT it seems to me that Reason Europa could be up with it, and is more lightweight.
    However I'm very curious about the routing window, it reminds me of Reaktor (and the gui a bit too).

17. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Been playing with it all day, and thoughts are.

1. it sounds nice, like Massive but much more detailed. Much modulation.
    2. its half finished/not finished.
    3. I suspect paid patch packs will play a bit part in how much more development it gets.
    4. I have a copy of Serum, Hive 2, Pigments and now this. Out of all of them I like Hive 2 the best.
    5. It seems like the majority of NI's team works in the Marketing Dept.

18. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

Sylenth1 v3 im almost everytime using, dunno its proabably the synth ive used the longest time (11 years now ?!) and i still discover sounds on adding effects on top of it.
    it has NI protection, so i guess it wont be to hard to cracker it proper, NI dont add any hard timebombs or other stuff ...
    i have not tested yet the VR release, could be its already a clean release, if not we will have something clean - give it a week or so ...

i know mate, but do you see an uptodate Avenger version somewhere? this shows that the protection is not easy ...
    you are right, if Avenger would go on sale, people would feel a lot better and we would see people talking about it. but right now, nobody will ... ;)

actual the GUI, is not based on reaktor, it is more like a NI default design for the GUI, nothing else i would say, like i wrote Massive X is totally coded in C++, so ...

@techdevil Hive2 has definitely a great sound, but it does use to much cpu without a cpu saving more, at this moment i hope Massive X will have a cpu saving more like Massive had.

the X in it stands for 10 years or when was Massive released? was it not in 2007?

19. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

@ArcticStorm I was just talking about the way it looks and not on it's guts. I'm not a fan of it's looks, but as with most things in life, it's what's inside that counts.

[​IMG]

I know you love me for my beautiful mind!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

@ArticStorm
    I'm really surprised you say Hive 2 draws to much CPU, I seem to be able to run shed loads of instances without much of a drain on my CPU. I can't say I have done any kind of comparison, but my default arrangement has a copy of Hive in it, when I added Massive X to try it yesterday, the performance meter shot up much higher than it would if I simply added another instance of Hive.

Will need to check some more but somehow, I don't see Massive X being any less power hungry than Hive 2, in fact quite the opposite.

21. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Massive X is CPU-heavy for no reason. I ran the older massive on 192 khz and the best quality settings, creating the same sound in both synths. The CPU was 1/2 or 1/3 lesser in older massive on these extreme settings, so use the new Massive only, if you really are going to do something new in terms of sound design (which will probably involve something with their new wavetables, everything else is doable already with Reaktor). I can't see it using it atm, it's a waste of HD space (1.5 gb installed with presets!), imo.
    Maybe in the future we may seen decent preset packs for it (maybe sound effects and dubstep/electro/dnb noises), but for now there are just better synths. It's also somewhat "unispiring".
    About Hive2 - I noticed that some of the patches are really heavy. It's funny, because it's advertised as low CPU synth. Hive1 - before addition of wavetables - was light, too bad that Hive2 overwrites it. Zebra is lighter than Hive1/2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List