Native Instruments - Legacy products "End of Life" - no more activation possible

Discussion in 'Software' started by waverider, Mar 10, 2020.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

This is some super secret mystery library that you can't pronounce its name? Btw, what the OP initially shared is inaccurate because NI's decision to "kill off" all legacy products was partially revoked. But you tldr the thread and preferred to ask. Do you know the "think before you speak before you make me mad?" Just watch Rockarolla. Only in your case should be "read before you speak".
    Waves offers the option to move your license via Cloud service to any comp and you can activate your product(s) directly to your comp via Waves Central. No dongle needed. Since like 6+ years now. I guess that's tldr for you too ?
    https://www.waves.com/support/move-licenses
    https://www.waves.com/support/activate-licenses
    You got me here lol... Which is it.
    Also fyi, there is no Native Instruments product that was released after 2005 that can not be activated but one, which is Absynth 4 released in 2007:
    https://support.native-instruments....ervice-Center-and-Legacy-Products-End-of-Life
    TLDR mate ?
    So from the list, there is only one discontinued drum library, Battery Studio Drums from 2004, so if i am to believe you, you went and bought a 10 years old library in 2014, that actually isn't a Kontakt Library but a Battery library. Although it should work with Kontakt as well.
    Bottom line my friend, you are either terrible at registering products or you suck at telling lies lol.
    Peace.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Not possible. The member is on macOS.
    Ah! You didn't mention that in PM!
    I know this!
    Yeah, you'll be sorted.

3. Smoove Grooves

:)

4. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@Smoove Grooves :rofl:
    What up bro. I admit it was funny with the slight difference that sorry you were wrong. So i will not re-quote meself lol. Abbey Road 80s Drummer is NOT discontinued. I posted the official discontinued list link, if you can find it there i will apologize for being rude and write ten times in purple (Prince colour) bold italic "Smoove rules" hehehe.
    EDIT: If i wasn't completely clear not discontinued means you CAN activate it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  5. phaser1

phaser1 Noisemaker

Lotta issues here.

I'll start with Waves. Their own customer support people told me that, Yes, I -Am- stuck with using a USB dongle to perma-host my licenses because their WavesCloud option depends on you running a piece of their software that Cannot run on my version of macOS. What they had me do was use a newer computer of mine to use their software to send my licenses to the Cloud, then, save it down from the cloud to the USB stick. Then when I asked them is there anyway to further copy it off the stick on to the computer's own hard drive, they said, "no." And that was the end of the support case.

Now, back to Native Instruments. The library I'm using is Abbey Road 80s Drummer. If that would have helped in better assisting on what to do in my case, I apologize in advance for not offering that detail in the first place. However, my understanding was/is that the sample library itself is/was irrelevant. And that the problem is with Kontakt Player, since that's the thing used to "Activate" use of the sample library.

Not a TL;dr issue at all. See this from their support forum:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...80s-drummer-in-kontact-5.447015/#post-2055567

And this article:
    https://support.native-instruments....2056519-266551833.1612056518&sscid=11k5_xvil9

Here's what happened:
    1. In April, 2014 I bought the Abbey Road 80s Drummer plugin from Native-Instruments' website and used the Kontakt Player 5 software to be able to use it with Pro Tools 10 on a Mac Mini that had OS X 10.7.x on it and everything was working 100% fine.

2. Because of my need to change the hardware to another Mac but continue running the same exact working setup as before, I put mac OS 10.8.5 on another Mac with a more powerful CPU on it, and re-installed Pro Tools 10.3.10

3. I attempted to load a PT project I had sequenced using the AR 80s Drummer plugin but I was presented with a warning screen that everything was missing and was prompted to go find the missing files/folders

4. This ultimately led me to re-running my installers for the plugin and eventually Kontakt Player 5

5. Eventually, everything worked and the Drummer sample library successfully loaded - however - they were all in DEMO mode and so I hit the "Activate" button, which threw the "Authorization Failed" error because NI discontinued whatever system makes that possible.
    I hope from This time line it is clear that I did not create a brand new set up this year and then decide to go back and find, download and install software and then cross my fingers to hope that it worked. Two things: first, had I known that this was a possibility, I would have continued avoiding software synths altogether. The second is, if I for some reason absolutely Had to use one anyway, I definitely would have bought whatever they (or whoever else) is *currently* selling. If I somehow gave the impression that I intentionally went back to try and use discontinued software in a brand new rig of mine, I apologize for that. That would be a really weird thing to do indeed, but, that's not the case here. I hope this makes a little more sense now.

I am aware that Native Instruments Did eventually give users a way to keep using their legacy plugins. However! Even that program requires mac OS 10.9.x, which per Avid isn't supported for Pro Tools 10.3.10. As I mentioned in my original reply, I did see someone somewhere claim to get PT 10.3.10 to run on Maverick, but a lot of other people complained that the OS itself is problematic. Considering that getting everything set up and running right just changing computers took a ton of time, repeating the process again to go to OS X 10.9, and then potentially encounter Additional problems because of it seemed sub-optimal. This was when I decided to see if there was a way to just use a k'd version of this, even though I already bought it (hence my use of the phrase "not really a warez guy").

The main reason for me saying that was to make it clear that if there are any tricks and/or insider know-how to getting this stuff done, I'll likely need a little more information than usual. I'm fine with RTFM, but you can go down a rabbit hole for DAYS on searches looking for the right docs before you finally just need to stop what you're doing and simply Ask somebody, "how do I do this?" This is how I ended up here.

If it turns out that somehow I managed to completely and totally miss a way of getting this done the right way in spite of what the Other forum told me and what the link at the NI website says, I would absolutely Love to get a hold of the instructions that explains the right way to activate Kontakt Player 5 with the AAX plugin on OS X 10.8.5. It just looked like that's not possible and so therefore, I was trying to find an alternative means to not rendering my six years worth of multitrack originals impossible to remix/re-edit ever again.

6. Luka-S

Luka-S Noisemaker

I found FM8 to sound very different to FM7 and I don't like it. Screw you NI. I own multiple NI hardware they are famous for dropping support.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@phaser1
    I am sorry to have doubted you. Your post seemed dubious at first hehehe, so excuse me.
    First of all lemme say that all your problems arise from sticking with OSX Mountain Lion. PT 10.3.10, as reported by many users, runs ok on macOSX 10.9 Mavericks. In fact a couple of my clients tell me it runs better on macOS 10.9.5 than on 10.8.5.
    So just make a backup of your system and off you go upgrading to 10.9.5 mate.
    And to make amends if i was insulting before, if all fails, pm me and i personally promise to direct you to the "right place" for the "try before buy" Kontakt version.
    Cheers :)

8. Smoove Grooves

haha! I was already helping via PMs, and I messaged pretty much this a few hours ago!

"Great minds think alike..." !

9. phaser1

phaser1 Noisemaker

I appreciate the guidance in any case. It seems like the whole world decided to say F macOS 10.8.x because you guys are right about how a lot of issues are because of needing to use it. Lots of Other stuff (not critical, thankfully) just Doesn't work unless you have at least 10.9.. If PT 10.3.10 really can run on OS X 10.9.x then I've got the DMG (and remember now to reset the NVRAM) to see how that goes. I have Fresh backups using Time Machine as always, so, I guess when I have another bunch of days to burn up re-doing everything a third time, I can try it.

In the meantime, I'm going to see if these VST hosts I've been reading about might work. Because I do have a k'd VST version Kontakt 5 plugin at least. I'll try wiping all the NI stuff again, do a fresh install without the AAX plugin when doing the base install, and then see if a VST host will get the job done. If it does, I'll be really happy (I will report back how I did it, if I succeed).

If I go to 10.9 and ***k up my rig, I will be really not cool with that, so fingers crossed on the VST host.

10. Smoove Grooves

You can't!
    Just get CarbonCopyCloner, create a bootable clone to a fresh drive partition on a seperate drive, and you're set to experiment and you're safe!
    You can always reboot in your original OS!
    Ta-Daaa! :bow:

11. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

Since NI introduced their Native Access scheme, I can no longer use my NI products on my offline machine, despite having bought the licenses previously (including NI Maschine hardware).

Now that NI is essentially owned by the Wallstreet, I doubt that we will see an increase in customer friendly policies and longterm product support, quite on the contrary!

At least there is Dexed, which is free and superior to both.

12. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

This is why i don't feel bad about warez.. how much was east west? You could of bought a motif.. and been either been able to use it forever or resale and atleast get some of your cash back shit even in some instances and you buy from the right manufacturer you can make money off of your vintage analog gear.. I feel like if they discontinue a product they should give everyone atleast a voucher to something on there site.. at the very least

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Hazen

Hazen Rock Star

NI needs to be legally challenged about this, I doubt that their policy is compliant with European Union customer laws, since they essentially invalidate a valid license. Not even satan himself, Bill Gates, has been so brazen.

But then I doubt that Justitia has Native Instruments on their radar, unless someone sets a precedence and charges them for compensation in any court of an EU country known for customer friendly interpretation and application of the law.

14. Smoove Grooves

Just in case you are looking to part-exchange your old gear, 100% of dealers will PX using your old vintage gear because it is so profitable to sell on.
    I know. I've worked for them!

15. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

This is the thing about NI stuff, they drop support really fast so one should consider long and hard what to get from them.

For instance I had a Rig Kontrol 3 (the pedal for Guitar Rig) that I gave to a friend, and it won't do the same things with the latest GR as it used to. You basically have to re-setup the thing and it's still not the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

I am sad about Pro53, FM7, which i rly liked, but on the other hand i dont own it, rather downloaded the AiR release or other relases.

i think the list is quite fair and to be honest, who still uses Battery 1? or any of the rly older versions?
    Sometimes its alright to clean up data a bit and to get rid of older stuff.

Also making it work without registration would require to rewrite the code, bcs NI uses challenge and response, which is tailored to the specific hardware and there everybody would need a special serial. Nobody/No company (remember Ni was aquired some weeks ago and therefore needs to make money) will ever invest money into making something free ...

So im okay with that ...

17. phaser1

phaser1 Noisemaker

As silly it was to read an email from Waves telling me, "yes, you have to use a USB for your license if you can't run the newer software that works with WavesCloud," at least they DID provide away for me to activate my product offline. It seems to me that if the database At Native Instruments can see my email address, the name of the product I bought and my serial number that there should be away to Microsoft-style phone in my activation code or something so that there's some way they can be sure 500 people aren't using my copy of the same license; but then ALSO I can actually keep using it. Like others have said, if I buy a JV-5080 or Motif, that thing works basically forever. I own a Kurzweil KME61 (discontinued) that sounds great. How mad would I be if I bought it, but then because I moved 10 years later, and needed to "re-register itself" at my new home address or something absurd like that and can't, my $700 investment goes down the drain? What happens if a pro-audio maker goes under and there is no server to talk back to?

Like I said, I don't mind paying money for a quality, legal product but if a company like NI is going to do something like this, and producers need to go back and get paid to work on a project by remixing or editing a previously sequenced piece of work, what choice do you have but to do this? I completely agree with you.

18. phaser1

phaser1 Noisemaker

That's a really good idea. I should try that.
    As always, you've been really helpful. Thank you very much!

19. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

This is crap. Luckily with our cracked ones, we don't need Native Access. I still have not even installed Native Access :)

20. Howard Carpendale

Howard Carpendale Platinum Record

Is there an alternate for ni spectral delay ?