Native Instruments is laying off people

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by mrpsanter, Sep 4, 2019.

1. In a business environment, where the accepted wisdom is that you never, ever operate a DAW online, NI moving to a cloud-based business model seems a very challenging choice.

2. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Hope they finally raise the quality of their shitty low cost Pots used in hardware.
    Until then I won't buy any hardware from them anymore.

People complain from the beginning that the Pots (yes they are physical endless potentiometers, no encoders)
    first loose resistance, then wear out , start to parameter jump and finally break totally.
    But people still buy that crap.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

There is a strong feeling about people being made redundant that I want to comment on. Over the years, watching, on the News, hundreds, sometimes thousands of employees being laid off or made redundant, and it has made me uneasy about how easy it is for companies to get rid of people and in most cases ruin people's lives, wreck families and generally make them suffer. Big companies will give reasons like 'Profits are down, shops closing' or 'moving car plant to another country' and so on. We accept this as OK. But it's my opnion that companies should not be able to do this so easily. In the UK there is a common law called 'Duty of Care.' It basically means that companies have a duty to make sure their employees and even consumers and customers come to no harm, physically, emotionally or psychologically. Firing someone without a good reason breaks these laws for sure. I wish that new, stricter laws would make it very difficult to get rid of people once they employ them. We should now have a new set of conditions under which they are able to get rid of employees; it's far too easy. One exapmple: If a company like NI plans to restructure their business model, they must make every effort to offer employees different positions within the company, re-train them if necessary, I strongly believe that when a company hires someone, the company is their responsibilty. In other words, the employee's life becomes so dependent on their employment that the company should now recognise that they are 'responsible' for their well-being, and must not allow them or the family they are supporting to suffer. This willy-nilly hiring and firing must be stopped by new laws. There must be strict conditions under which employers can fire employees. Regarding this topic, companies still have the power to destroy lives or strongly disrupt lives without a care. Unions rose up to protect people, but even they don't have enough 'law weapons' with which to fight back. I know this feels like politics but ultimately every part of our lives can be viewed in terms of politics. What I'm saying is let's look at the resposibility of employers through the lense of caring about our fellow brothers and sisters. The minute a company gives a person a job, that person is now dependent on them for their livlihood. THIS HAS TO MEAN SOMETHING.

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Hahaha that's why we get so along, we're like-minded man.
    Fun spoiler b*tches... :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

"DJ manufacturer"
    I thought DJs were humans... holy cow...

6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

It won't just be NI employees outta work just after New Years, or what we might be calling, New Tears. There is no more whack-a-mole cash to keep the system afloat. When there are no more safe financial havens to flee to and countries, corporations as well as banks can in no way provide the slightest fiduciary responsibility, it is all bust in this insane capitalistic nightmare. Good luck sisters, brothers and all in between.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

wow, some interesting ass shit going on right now in the world of digital audio... I have noticed somethings going down through all those discounts thats been happening recently.

I don't think I've ever gotten plugins and software for much cheaper this year than any other year...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

spoiler without context

:chilling:

• List
  9. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

i said a long time ago...that chef etage fcks it all up..this was the greatest company but its bad company for some years now...
    ---
    centralization and controll and concrete for the single individualist...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

As far as NI are concerned, they have shareholders who prolly want to have a few holidays on a spaceship this year, and Elon Musk drives a hard bargain! Can't explain why NI would cut off any / all future growth; guess market rly is saturated & they've simply given up like Scrooge McDuck? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, everyone expendable (cleaners, robot butlers, Prime Ministers =) is on what is called a zero-hours contract, designed to get around anything as inconvenient as a law. Which may as well be someone's fantasy from 10 years ago, when laws still almost mattered! It means you effectively and exploitably work freelance for the vulture capitalists. Or capitalists as they're known to themselves.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Gyro Gearloose

holy clone:winker:

12. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Didnt think about this yesterday when I first saw Uli's awesome jab at NI haha. Damn, if Behringer could scoop up the right devs from NI oh man. Hardware.. Absynth.. BOOM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Gyro Gearloose

stephan schmitt was one of the names i alway saw in credits

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Holy droid? :rofl:

15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, I've been (at least partially) joking until now, but you guys have made very interesting comments about the movement to cloud-based "whatever-we-can" by the big companies.
    It's an interesting topic with lot of ramifications. It would make an excellent thread as long as we stay calm lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

And this is exactly why this could be a problem... :rofl:

18. Scarlett

Scarlett Guest

You broke it ;)

19. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

You have no idea how close to the bullseye you are on that one ! Excellent ! Find my previous posts.

20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I wonder how this affect updates of Battery, Battery hasn't been updated for years now