Native Instrument Komplete Kontrol 'S' Keyboard - any thoughts?!?!

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I currently have a Korg Kontrol 49 MIDI keyboard that is pretty rock solid and good. However, I'm not a keyboard/piano player, though i would like to learn.

I have Kontakt with tons of libraries as well as lots of plugins that would usually benefit from being able to play piano/keyboard efficiently.

I have been eyeing up these keyboard as I like the idea of Kontakt library 'active' keys being lit up and that it can also light up keys within scales and so on as I think that would help with my improvisation, as well as learning to play properly over time (as opposed to using 'key lock' MIDI features of DAWs).

Grateful for any thoughts on theses keyboards.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i can't offer any insight to NI's keynoards, but i just wanted to say that welsh people are awesome.
    god i love that accent (female of course)

4. Cashmeere

Cashmeere Guest

I have the S49 and it's a very nice feeling keyboard semi weighted, would love a fully weighted one but i don't have the space for the 88 key version but the keys are very good for a midi controller. My only hiccup on it is the software could be better and it doesn't record midi from smart controls which is kind of annoying. You also have to load everything through the komplete kontrol software to make use of the light up keys and smart control features like scales and stuff. I find loading everything through komplete kontrol a bit of a hassle so i just use it for it's nice key bed and don't bother with the software.

5. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

Uuu, great you say that, totally spared me being dissapointed after buying one.

I admit that i was mainly going to buy it because of the pretty lights :) it would have been worth it for that alone, and of course the good build quality

Also no midi recording from knobs? What are they thinking, that we like to play around with knobs just for fun?!?

R.I.P. Dream of funky lights midi keyboard, guess it will have to be something else.

6. LordFunky

LordFunky Ultrasonic

You can record knobs as automation

For me it is a wonderful midi keyboard, great purchase.

I use kontakt everyday and the light guide for keyswitches has changed my life

7. Cashmeere

Cashmeere Guest

So do you load everything through Komplete Kontrol? I found it quite temperamental in ableton live so just avoid using the software, that was a long time ago so maybe they've fixed things now

8. abcordle

abcordle Ultrasonic

I have an S88 and I love it,,,,one thing to noe , if you have maschine and you open anything in there if will function as if going through KK, actually you can browse right from the keyboard without opening KK as well when inside maschine. My major gripe is that for some reason whenever i open KK in Ableton it crashes Ableton.....PITA

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

10. abcordle

abcordle Ultrasonic

Hey thanks for that help bro, yea saw that thread also while looking for a solution, mine doesn't crash unless i try to load KK and of course they are on 7 im on 10 and live 9.1 vs 9.7 but really do appreciate the attempt, right now working with Ableton support on a Push 2 connection issue but once thats resolved hopefully they can help figure this one out too. I can usually solve anything simply digging through forums but these 2 things have got me stumped