NAMM 2017

Discussion in 'Software' started by thantrax, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

2. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

3. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

Apparently I'm not the only one trying to access their account there right now. I really want to try this as my 3rd amp was a POD XT Pro + a Rocktron Velocity followed by many other L6 POD variations up to the HD series. I've tried the Helix in a store and know it can't compete with Thermionik but it would be a nice solution for any non-computer playing...

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I'm a Kemper user, so I am interested in the FX, but I'm not sure how the gainstaging will work out.

5. blacknblue

blacknblue Producer

think this deserves a separate thread. might be a gamechanger in ampsim world.

6. Polymetrix

The VST got highly tweakable in- and output levels. So there should be absolutely no problem.

After trying it for almost an hour now I have to say: the FX are really still superbe and the amps are exactly how I guessed they'd turn out if I try them at home with my preferred IRs: okay at best. They definitely improved a lot since the HD era but compared to Thermionik or S-Gear they're just good enough for emergency backups.

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

It's what I am hoping for :) Feel free to make a new thread. I just tagged it onto this one after doing a quick thread search. So far I have read lots of good reviews from owners of the Helix hardware, they said the sound is the same.

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I can reamp with my Kemper and the amps are really great, but the FX is still a bit limited. If I can combine the two it may be the best of both worlds, since all the reamping is done via spdif in the digital realm.

Likewise, you may be able to utilize the Helix FX with your preferred amp/cab VST's?

9. Polymetrix

Yep, already tried that too and all the FX I want work fine behind (or in rarer cases upfront) Thermionik. Can't buy it atm but at least I know it's there and I can get it. Now the only thing I still lack is the DigiTech Turboflange. Sold the pedal years ago and no VST or different pedal offers some of the sounds in this purple thingy. Not even other DigiTech products.

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The digital future is very interesting. If you like great amp sounds have you checked out the Kemper amp? It's different to VST amp sims, very responsive and dynamic, and close to real valve sounds. I wish there was a Kemper VST pluggin.

11. Polymetrix

Thermionik is extremely good as well you should try it if you haven't. It's extremely dynamic and responsive, rolling off the volume pot and playing softer enables you to switch from almost clean to crunch just by playing - like a real amp. I've tried almost all the competitors and Thermionik is way better than the likes of BIAS, Amplitube and stuff. I don't care about looks - but apparently most people do. It's not convenient to have all the amps as single plugins and they all look the same but they sound fantastic. Great Clean, just breaking up, glassy, crunch, metal - it can handle anything. Even quite quirky stuff if you use the Chimp. In all honstey: I've played amps that sounded worse than Thermionik - valve/tube amps.

I've tried the Kemper and loved it but I'll never be able to afford all the amps I'd wish to have profiles of and I don't share the "common" taste so just hoping for profiles that I like to exist is too risky for spending that amount of money even if I had it. When the time comes to bring my project on stage I'll probably settle for a Helix OR a Grandmeister Deluxe 40 as I actually use zero effects during playing live. Maybe a little chorus for clean but that's in the Grandmeister too...

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

What sets the Kemper apart is the hardware, the whole guitar comes alive without even striking a string when you plug it in, they have really nailed the pickup sensitivity and response.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017