NAAM Winter Show 1998: A 20-Year Trip to Memory Lane

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mercurysoto, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

OMG yes. The slow TC lockup when you ganged the units together...

2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

True, bro. My first PC audio card was Sound Blaster AWE32! :wink: And afterwards I used M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for years. That's still a good card for when you only use your DAW for mixing as it's got a SPDIF out.

3. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

Still got one of those
    upload_2018-2-23_3-37-30.jpeg

One of the first sample based drum machine,

And remember these guys ?
    upload_2018-2-23_3-38-41.jpeg
    upload_2018-2-23_3-39-11.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List

Attached Files:

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I worked with this monster with 64 channels, a bunch of synths/expanders, the first SoundScape version and were so proud we could playback 8! audio tracks with Cubase (synced in both directions!), but hardly none of the equipment were my own :(, [​IMG].

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus Producer

I still have this (in storage) mc-4.jpg
    It is bigger than it looks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  6. Jeff Maneville

Jeff Maneville Ultrasonic

I had the 424MKII. My wife bought it for me I could record with my stepson. I think it cost her something like $800 back then. I still have it (but don't use it). It was great!

7. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Couple of other other gems from back in the day:

Edirol UM-880 MIDI patchbay - the best midi patchbay ever built. EVER.

[​IMG]

Yamaha A4000 - My weapon of choice for sampling back in the day.

[​IMG]

BOSS Dr Groove 202 - my first drum machine... not terribly difficult to program but I never could vibe with the sound.

[​IMG]

ECHO Audio MIA MIDI - one of the best soundcards Ive ever used... wish I still had it :(

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

9. I remember spending way too much money for the Tascam 246 Portastudio the big one, probably for about $500.. If it didn't run at 2x speed it would have sounded even worse than it did. When I bought the Ensoniq ESQ-1 I was finally able to sequence keyboard parts so not burn up tracks and need to bounce to keep freeing them up. Then in the '90s,, thankfully, I was able to up the game with two 8 track ADAT machines, a Mackie 24-4, and a Kurzweil 2500SX. I didn't have a computer until maybe 2005 and didn't begin doing stuff ITB until fairly recently, probably around 2010.

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You've resisted the newest tech for a long time... cudos. :) Me, I've started using PCs for audio in 1997, then sold all my digital and analogue babies in 2000 [not only because I thought VST is better, but I moved to the other part of the world for some time, too], only to discover that I want them back about 3 years ago and combine the two worlds. I gave up hope on plugins doing perfect analogue emulations for now and it's more fun using hardware. But you can get tired of using hardware, too and then I go back to my PC. :rofl:

If I knew what I know now, I would never have sold anything in the first place. On the other hand, I'm having loads of fun with stuff I didn't have before, like Akai S3200, Yamaha A5000 and E-MU 4XT. I used ASR-10 and S-950 for sampling at the time, in the mid 90s. ASR was a beast. :drool: So nicely sounding machine. But what I miss the most is my Matrix-6, Jupiter-4, Promars, 808 and Arp Axxe. :sad: At these prices today I'll never be able to afford any of these again, but OTOH I think software can fill that hole these days just fine. Thanks u-he, D16 and Synapse! :wink:

Ah memories. :) Love'm or hate'm, I generally love them. Although I've been mostly making techno-rave at the time... I'm more fond of having a synth-pop band memories and making kinda alright pop songs [DM-Erasure-Yazoo-ish]. :wink: I didn't like it that much at the time... lol I've always had issues with pop and looking to make more edgy stuff.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This was my first ever 'proper' DAW I remember properly using regularly, though had used one or two different things as one-offs before this.

12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Give it another 20 years and you'll be saying the same about what we are using now :rofl:

13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I picked up something in 1998 that set me off in the programming direction. I original had one of these that I was was recording acoustic indie/britpop demos onto:
    [​IMG]

But then I picked up one of these off a mate for £50 with 6 of the memory cartridges, and could then make demos with electric guitars and drums, before then developing into the whole electronic music scene (I've since lost all 6 cartridges and people now list them for silly money on eBay!):
    [​IMG]

14. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I still miss the mam vf11 and boss vt-1 from that days...

15. The Kurzweil shipped with 2 megs of memory and the next 64 cost over 100 bucks. There was a huge difference between the cconverters in the ADATs, which I was happy with, and the converters in the sampling card of the 2500XS which I thought lost lots in translation. The Kurzweil needed two people to safely put it in its case and I had a very strong stand for it. I still think that there is a zip around here with some of the samples I captured and created. The action was piano-like, heavy but very playable and it came with a fantastic sustain pedal. It had 8 individual outputs for the different sequencer lanes or to record the 8 parts of the multi-layer patches you could conjure up. I loved the ribbon controller. It is a beast of a synth and anything could modulate anything else, so it was very deep.

Memories...of the way we were.

[​IMG]

16. spyfx

spyfx Guest

i want a Korg Prophecy again :bow: :

Korg :keys: are you listening ? :keys: a remake please :keys:

also @mercurysoto nice thread :wink::bow:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Thank you, buddy. I appreciate all your sharing. In an all-nostalgia mode, I've just purchased a Hohner B2B Steinberger bass from the 80s, one of those headless bass guitars. I've always wanted one. It was so out of reach in those years that I can't believe I have one. It's had its use and abuse, but it's an original instrument from the era.

18. Congratulations!! An awesome bass!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. spyfx

spyfx Guest

:bow: Bass players are always the coolest !,take the bass out of any song/track & you are left with like a car with no wheels.
    BASS BASS & MORE BASS.

Indeed :bow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

In 1990, I was working for a Montreal radio station as a sound man on remote setup. In parallel, I was playing covers in bars and hotel dining rooms. This era was the best time of my life (so far).

This is my home studio in the little centennial house I had back then. This was my oasis to practice and prepare my sets...
    (nostalgia just hit me with this thread...)

upload_2018-3-3_15-44-29.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-3_15-44-52.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List