N.S.A. Foils Much Internet Encryption

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Catalyst, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

3. muaB

muaB Producer

but they dont have pgp yet

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

4. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

I bet they didn't crack Cubase 7! :rofl:

5. johnyrebb

johnyrebb Ultrasonic

Hahaha! The best comment!!

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

:rofl: good comment!

a serious note, they can hack w/o any reason everything they want? Then they punish hackers for breaking into any systems? In my opinion the NSA isnt better as those hackers.

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

:rofl:

Absolutely my friend, nothing but a bunch of scheming hypocrites. They just say it's in the interests of national security insecurity and get carte blanche to do whatever.

8. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

this didnt age well.

i guess NSA is more interested in traffic that any HDD encryption. Or im wrong?

10. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Totally right its more about monitoring network traffic and if someone is interesting for them they will break into your System, but i don't think anybody of us is interesting for them.

I just wanna let members know that there is a secure protection for their private Files which can't be cracked by Supercomputers or Quantum Computers. (I think most people don't know about OTP)

Just saw an Episode of Elementary yesterday where the P versus NP problem was involved which isn*t solved yet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_versus_NP_problem, but if it will be all Asymmetric Encryption Methods would be outdated, because there would no longer be the need of bruteforcing it would be like a super shortcut.

11. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

If Americans can face 20y in jail for using VPNs, I guess the VPN encryptions are pretty good...and hard to crack?? (Tiktok ban bill)

12. Haliax

Haliax Guest

I have started to use proxy chains more and more, and after reading this I realised that it is feasible to go through a proxy and then VPN

13. loveriuz

loveriuz Producer

At least, in my country you can buy VPN with cash, vouchers or crypto so that's great.

14. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Normally all VPN Providers use AES-256 and yeah stupid laws in the US. But they are hackable like snowden leaked Years ago. The most simple is stealing the decryption key or using backdoors to the Providers VPN Server.

15. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

This is useless to do as a Proxy is not as safe as a VPN.

A proxy server is simpler and less secure. VPNs encrypt all traffic while proxies do not. While your IP address is hidden by a proxy because it replaces the client's IP with the proxy IP, it otherwise doesn't match the level of privacy that a VPN offers. A VPN not only protects you from hackers, but also from ISP and government surveillance.

A proxy works at the application level, while a VPN works at the operating system level. The former means that only the data of a specific application or browser is redirected. A VPN connection, on the other hand, redirects all data traffic.

If you got one device only i recommend https://protonvpn.com/ which is free and unlimited for one device and has a no Log Policy.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Haliax

Haliax Guest

Do you know what proxy chains are? It's not about encryption, it's masking the source. That is why I mentioned about going from a random proxy in the chain to a VPN.

For perspective in this discussion, masking the fact you are using a VPN by going through one or more proxies is a possible solution if that proxy is outside of the country.

Let's say I sign up for a free AWS account, I can have a proxy in France and another in Germany. I route from the US to France, then Germany and finally through a VPN.

If I just want to mask my source, I can use chains to randomly switch between proxies for each HTTP connection I make

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2023
  17. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Which is why you dont use a vpn that is based in or is in the jurisdiction of the 5-eyes surveillance alliance.

18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

The only issue with that is with each route bounced thru a proxy the connection becomes slower and slower. VPN's, especially those that change ip's/spaces every few minutes become extremely hard to track and still provide the best source for continued privacy. Just pick your vpn wisely and don't employ one that is known to have ties to Five-eyes surveillance alliance.

19. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

14-eyes.
    1. United States
    2. United Kingdom
    3. Australia
    4. Canada
    5. New Zealand
    6. Netherlands
    7. France
    8. Denmark
    9. Norway
    10. Belgium
    11. Italy
    12. Germany
    13. Spain
    14. Sweden

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

The Problem with that is your ISP is able to see what you are doing if you use proxies, you only hide who you really are to the Webpage you are visiting, be aware some proxies will even tell the Page you are visiting your Real IP.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List