My Steinberg USB-dongle(s) - Im saved!

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by phloopy, Dec 25, 2017.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I´m not really a fan of dongles in general even the fact I´ve lived with them for many years now and I´ve always been afraid it would break some day, so ........ here we go:

I had an accident with my very old Syncrosoft USB-licenser this morning. I got it almost broken in two pieces which is a true nightmare in every way.

The dongle was still workable so I found another (newer) USB-dongle in my basement and did a transfer of all my applications to this new dongle and yes: IT WORKS!!

Im still not a fan of dongles but I must admit the Steinberg system works fast and smooth in every way - Im actually impressed.

End of story :wink:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Someware

Someware Ultrasonic

Hi, glad you managed to transfer to another dongle. I will need to do this very soon, the plastic outer shell on my dongle has become brittle and came apart the other week when I was moving it between my laptop and desktop PC. So this is good to know that it is possible, Thanks :) Happy Xmas and New Year!

4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

It takes you under one minut Someware - that´s it!

Hope you´ll succed doing the same soon :wink:

Happy Xmas and New Year to you!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  5. Thank goodness it worked out for you. What a nightmare that would have been, eh?

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I have purchased several dongle protected editions.. including the "beloved" Cubase...
    ( and pro tools which I won't even bother to mention )

my dongles are all in mint to near mint condition... since they cannot protect the developer from people
    not being interested in their products and... switching to Reaper... :bleh:

but good luck for you @phloopy you had an extra, next time it'll be $50 or so...
    ( Reaper itself about $65 :rofl:)

cheers and Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2017
  7. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

True, elicenser is relatively hassle free. I just don't get why the housing of the dongle has to be such a shitty plastic crap. There are licenses of hundreds or thousands of bucks to be protected and it falls apart when you look at it from the wrong direction. How about a cool metal housing, how about shrinking it a little more in size. I'm pretty sure if your dongle had been completely broken you could have sent it to steinberg and they'd have restored your licenses, but would'nt it be better to make that little thing a bit more lasting?

8. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

They only restore their products...not those like Vengeance that rely on e-licenser. You have to contact every single one of them to have them issue a new license for you based on your karma. Good luck with that.
    So in the end, it's worse than iLok

9. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

All protection dongles are evil IMHO.
    Some more, some less, but iLok and ViennaKey are definitely leading the pack.

License transfers $259 with iLok, with ViennaKey the licenses are lost with the dongle.

10. SyphonX

SyphonX Kapellmeister

You were just lucky.... Dongles will always be a pain in the ass.... :yes: