My Novation Bass Station only coming out 1 monitor (cables question)

Discussion in 'Studio' started by freakymofo, Feb 24, 2016.

1. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

I have a Scarlett Focusrite 18i6 interface, and I plug my Novation Bass Station 2 (BSII) into it via a TRS cable, out of the BSII's Analogue Mono Line Output, and into one of the 6 Line Inputs on the 18i6. (I'm using Line Input 3 for the BSII).

Now, sound only comes out of one speaker, the left speaker, and when i plug the BSII into another Line Input of the interface, say Line Input 4, instead of 3, it plays out the right speaker... And os on, left and right, for input 4, and input 5.

http://imgur.com/5X2QCdl (interface)

Why is this? When i play and record it within Logic, it plays out of both speakers....

Do I need to get a different cable to what im using? Maybe a Single TRS to dual TRS? I just thought because the BSII just has the one output slot, i only needed to plug it into ONE Input slot on my interface..?

http://imgur.com/I7BcW8Q (BSII)

Can someone tell me what cable I need to make this right, or, is it okay to keep it how i have it, as long as its playing out of two speakers when im playing & recording it into Logic?

The manual says the Line Output (MONO) is unbalanced, I've been using a balanced cable, TRS, don't know how good or bad that is but at the same time, the 6 line inputs on rear of interface are balanced...

Do I need an un-balanced Mono TS cable to Stereo TS, or to Dual Mono TS!? Maybe this?http://www.amazon.co.uk/HosaTech-CPP...ono+jack+cable

3. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

Anyone? Need to know if I'm using the right cable or not also.. Using a TRS cable, the bass station output is unbalanced, but the line inputs on my interface are balanced..

4. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

5. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

I'll help you out. The cables and inputs/outputs are working correctly, you just don't understand what "correctly" is. Hint, all of the outputs and inputs are Mono. Like you said the output on the BSII is Mono, what makes you think it wouldn't be plugged into a mono input somewhere else. Both of your monitors are Mono that whats why they both have their own input. That fact was proven by you when you plug in you BSII to one of the other inputs in the same row as that monitor's output.

As far as Logic is concerned. All DAWs route what's in the mixer to a Master track/buss, whose outputs are stereo. Which is why you can record a mono signal like a guitar on a track but still hear it coming out of both speakers. These things are just bussing fundamentals.

Does anyone read their manuals anymore?

6. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Well, mono means mono.
    Do you monitor using your DAW?

7. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

Okay, so it's perfectly normal for the BSII to be only coming out of one speaker when I'm playing it on it's own, and it playing out of both speakers when in my DAW, Logic, correct?

Guessing the inputs on my interface are stereo pairs

8. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

Right, opened up Scarlett Mix control, and the Bass Station is centred.... http://imgur.com/e6QNhSx
    So I'm not sure why it;s only playing out of 1 monitor.

I'm guessing the interface inputs are stereo pairs, so that's why it plays out of left speaker in 3 of the inputs, and the right on the other 3..

As long as it's not a bad/glitch thing, I'm okay with it.. It plays out of both monitors when in Logic.

I'm just making sure that I'm not loosing the MONO sound or creating any audio issues

9. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

You got it. But again, the manual says this and other things. so there is no reason to guess.

10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

Okay. Did that and it now plays out of both speakers.

Thanks.

I know I should resort to manuals more, but I find it hard, easier to post on a forum online and get more detailed responses, maybe a bad habit, my bad.
    Thanks for the help!

12. nickveldrin

nickveldrin Member

upload_2016-5-25_14-10-51.png
    upload_2016-5-25_14-11-20.png

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, and yeah, you need to figure out if your inputs are stereo or mono and connect things up the right way, otherwise you're right in that it won't work properly.

Glad you got it sorted!