My New Year's Project

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by kingchubby, Jan 9, 2023.

1. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

So, I had some credit in the local computer store I do business with and got this with it at $200 off the regular price:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...00/ideapad-3-gen-5-(15-inch-intel)/81x800klus

I know it's not much specs-wise (you can stop laughing now), but I decided to take the money I saved and buy a 16 GB RAM stick to max it at 20GB and a 1 TB SSD NVMe to exchange the 256GB factory drive. It does have an unused 2.5" slot and I have a spare 2TB SSD lying around. So the final stats for the machine are as follows:

Processor
    11th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 Processor (3.00 GHz up to 4.10 GHz)

Operating System
    Windows 11 Home in S mode 64 (changed it to Windows 11 Home regular. Fuck S Mode).

Graphic Card
    Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics for 11th Gen Intel® Processors

20 GB RAM
    1 TB NVMe HD (system and programs)
    2 TB 25" SSD (samples)

I know that at its basic config it can be an excellent little machine for basic tasks and whatnot, but I want to see what else we can do with it.

My question is: Would you use this as a mobile DAW/DJ rig? If so, what software would you recommend? Have at it, you fiends. I eagerly want to read your thoughts and suggestions! Thanks for reading.

Really you can stop laughing.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  3. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

all quiet? ok!

4. Semarus

Semarus Kapellmeister

What type of music?
    For a DJ laptop, you don't need a super powerful machine.

5. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

I play/program ambient, electronic, techno, industrial rock, alternative, shoegaze, and other genres. It. The laptop should handle the bass, drums, and some electronics. I usually have two guitar players and I scream (lol) and play some synths.

6. buckaroo

buckaroo Guest

"all quiet? ok!" indeed it is. I too have an open question nobody is answering :(

If just playin audio files probably fine, but if doing complex DAW projects with lots of processing, live edits and routing to mixer with other formats hardware and stuff I wouldn't trust it. But ya never know until ya try it yourself!

Maybe a better use would be as a standalone synth and/or processing plugins machine connected to your main computer DAW PC to take some CPU pressure off projects?

Software? Ableton, Rekordbox, Traktor, Serato, all the usual suspects. Or maybe if you find one with a nice CDJ skin you could use this laptop as a home practice setup that mimics real CDJ's and mixer? Ideas...

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Congratulations dear @kingchubby, you did it. A real performance PC. There can then for example NI contact or UVI on it.
    Except for the small display a great fast machine. How is it with the battery life and the heat development?

8. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Thanks!

I gotta test the battery life since this will be the one I'll take in the field.
    Heat development? The fans are not loud, but I've been spoiled by the M1 MacBook Pro's quiet.
    My only complaint? No USB-C port and a small display, but hey, I've got this cheap.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

2023-01-10_014158.jpg

Crank dynamo power station - 119,99 €

Self-sufficient power supply on the road: From now on you are no longer dependent on a power outlet! Thanks to the crank dynamo power station, you can charge your smartphone, laptop and many other mobile devices quite flexibly and conveniently on the go. Due to its compact design and low weight, the power station can be cleverly stowed in your backpack or handbag. The practical carrying handle also allows for uncomplicated and safe transport. The integrated LED panel and the flashlight, which is also equipped with an SOS function, also provide you with bright light.

Easy power generation by hand: charge your crank dynamo simply and easily by hand. Thus, you can supply your electronic devices with power at any time and are completely self-sufficient. The power station is ideal for camping trips, hikes or for crisis preparedness.

Rechargeable with a solar panel: Take advantage of free solar energy to charge your power station. All you need to do is connect a solar panel with a USB-C port to your Powerstation.

Extra-fast charging speed: The USB-C port with Power Delivery enables a charging voltage of 5 to 12 V and generates up to 18 W.
    Source: www.kopp-verlag.de/a/kurbel-dynamo-powerstation?setnocookie=3b27f6f9d25675103dd7298653ab62d0_1673311039-8c4c2d52d320a79ed2d8a5f4c73e3029

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List

Attached Files:

10. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Nice one! Gotta get one of these!

11. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Any suggestions regarding DAW usage on a machine with these specs?

12. Colin

Colin Producer

Any kind of equipment is a means to an end.
    There are limits to what you can do on basic equipment and you need to be realistic about that.
    On the other hand, you get all these people who think you can throw money at something, buy this, buy that, so and so says this thing is a must have. That's great if you have the talent to make the best of it. If you don't, it won't alter a thing.

Good luck with your purchase and I hope it brings you much joy!

13. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Thank you @Colin I do want to know the limits of this particular piece of equipment since I want to use it on the field. Doing some research and it looks like I can push the EAM up further to a maximum of 36 GB (4 that are soldered can't do much about that one and 32GB on the other slot). Theoretically, I could get an NVMe and an SSD with more capacity (4TB each if I really wanted to go all out), especially since sample libraries take too much space or set it up as a RAID to ensure it's backed up, but 1. it would be overkill 2. I think the processor's speed might not be worth it. I mean, if it was at least an i5 or ideally an i7 I would consider it, ee point #1.

Got some unexpected quid and I'm seriously considering getting that 32 GB RAM chip.

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

It's always very hard to stop the human greed for more. At that time 16 GB was the highest of feelings, then came 32 GB and today probably 64 GB, the film composer Hans Zimmer has a specially made motherboard with 128 GB. You've already given yourself the answer - the CPU won't be able to process the 64 tracks (plus minus) that you might want. Back then, when there was only 16 GB, it was also possible.

15. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Oh I don’t work with 64 tracks! Lol! 8 or 10 at the most, maybe a bit more. I figure I’ll try to use as much RAM as possible. We’ll see how it goes.

16. Herr Tony

Herr Tony Producer

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I would then open up 10 tracks and then use Task Manager to see how much RAM is being used. The Latency Monitor
    also tells you if your system is sufficient: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
    In my opinion 16 GB RAM is enough - 32 GB RAM would be better of course.

18. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

See below

19. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Thanks so much! I usually work 8-10 tracks so this would do nicely. I will test and report my findings.

20. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

FWIW,

Geekbench 5 Score
    Single-Core Score
    Multi-Core Score
    OpenCL Score
    Vulkan Score

21. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Managed to add 32 GB of RAM to it. so ready to see how many tracks it can handle.