My new Track. Your Opinions matter

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Yellow Raven, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Yellow Raven

Yellow Raven Platinum Record

Hello everyone this is a new track I did. This time I think I did a better job Mixing, it kind of feel right at least to me.
    It started with the bass and the chord progression and then a lot of parts that I eventually had to leave some of them out.

Please give me your opinions. music wise is it appealing or no. any weak points?. any thought that crosses your mind while listening is welcomed.
    thxs for listening and cheers to you all.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Overall not a bad song at all. I'm not great at mixing/mastering critiques, but it sounded fine to me, in that regard.

I think the only thing I didn't care for was the choice of lead and the actual rhythm of that lead (just a little too basic for my tastes). Maybe the simple rhythm works better with a different instrument though. I get that it's kind of an 80s vibe to it though, so simple is kinda the goal, but it just didn't lure me in, personally.. that part. But other than that, no real complaints. The bass line is great! Drums sound nice too. Everything outside of that one small complaint is good. Nice job overall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Yellow Raven

Thank you for listening and taking the time to comment, much appreciated. yes I could've chosen a more contemporary lead with more movement but stuck with the one I chose deliberately.
    thxs again. cheers

5. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Platinum Record

I will join the solo in front of me. Maybe I would change the lead sound of the melody and wait for a beat or two after the hallo to start .. peace.

6. Yellow Raven

Thank you for listening. much appreciated. cheers

7. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

Agree on the lead. It's too loud in the mix. And a little piercing. Maybe a job for Soothe 2?
    Otherwise acomplished.

8. Sounds like Giorgio Moroder does James Bond. I'd love to hear a remix with 60's style Telecaster guitar twang and a mute trumpet doing the lead. I'd be in retro heaven.

9. stoiximan

stoiximan Platinum Record

Very good track and the mix is nice.The lead sound i dont like because you already have similar sound
    playing some arp behind it and it needs more movement.Great composition though

10. Tele_Vision

Tele_Vision Platinum Record

sound-wise it's a mix of 'berlin school' meets the middle east. Interesting. The bass has a Korg sound to it but I'm probably wrong. I might do a more Emerson 'Lucky Man' fat Moog style solo on it, but that's just me. I would add some interest to the drums by maybe automating a filter on the snare every so slightly to make it sound like the hits are bit different.

11. samsome

samsome Guest

if u like ur mix u like ur mix end of story but for me personally maybe the leads were a bit too loud

12. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Music wise? OH! :winker: Yeah, it is appealing and all that good stuff. Nice sounds, some nice mix touches like some thin, jangly bell thing, mono and slightly r. of centre, in the background! Nice...
    But...have you listened on cans to that final mix?
    For some reason, maybe it's just atmospherics and my ears tonight, but the bass had way too much power/spl in my cans such that I had to turn it down because it was uncomfortable.
    This is the first track ever that this has happened!
    Is it just me?
    And I'm aware that you didn't want the bass synth to sound too thin (even though that would be authentic!), so you beefed it up with some sub in a few places, but even when that wasn't happening the bass synth was too overpowering for this retro vibe for me.
    For me, it would have been more alluring to not hear the bass synth so clearly, and to have to make an effort to check out the depths of the picture, so to speak.
    Either it's a very digital sounding bass synth anyway, or maybe it's just too upfront and/or compressed for me.
    Great track though! Well done.
    My first synth was a Juno-106 in the 80s! :guru: Don't shoot me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

With age I am more realistic. Whether that is through age or pure impartiality as a direct result of age I have no idea.

You feel good about posting your music and so you should. :)
    Historically, the people who are regarded as being icons over centuries, more often than not, were not concerned whether people liked what they composed or orchestrated unless they were commissioned to write for someone else. They were focused on the quality of what they wrote and that they were happy with it.
    If your goal is to make money then that focus should be on pleasing others. If the focus is writing something for the pure love of it and the creative aspects of that process, then it does not matter what anyone thinks. That is my opinion, seeing you asked for it.

Regarding the genre of your creativity, I do not feel I can comment on it because I do not write in this style often, I can tell you enjoy it and that is what matters from my perspective. This is because additionally in my opinion, in order to be able to say how good something is in a specific genre or style, I have to love writing and performing in that genre/style. Keep doing it. Getting your music out there to the world these days is more important because it becomes part of the whole. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. This post was not relevant to Yellow Raven song, so I have removed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2021
  15. Yellow Raven

Thank you for the Kind words. your suggestion is worth giving a try. cheers

16. Yellow Raven

Thank you for listening. so glad you liked it. it seems all of you agree on the lead sound :sad:

17. Yellow Raven

Thank you for listening. the bass is just serum (maybe a copy of a Korg? I don't know ) as for the emmerson well that is way beyond my capabilities. the automation suggestion is great. the thing is, and this is my weak point, when i finish a track, music wise, I am always in a hurry to wrap it up. maybe I should take more time. cheers

18. Yellow Raven

Hey @Smoove Grooves thanks for listening and the detailed comments are most welcome. I did listen on closed headphones, but yeah I do struggle sometimes with balancing stuff, I fear it's going to go unnoticed. maybe because I tend to work on my tracks for long times I get accustomed to it. I need to take breaks.
    and thank you for liking what I did.
    Regards

19. Yellow Raven

Hey, Thank you for the little wisdom, I couldn't agree more.
    One thing I must say, I am really new to this (I mean completing tracks) I loved music since I was a teen & I studied few years of classical piano but then spent the rest of my life reading mags like Future Music, Keyboard & Computer Music... I never had a proper setup to create my own music and I always composed 4 or 8 bars and quit in frustration until like 5 months ago when I took the decision that I must complete tracks at whatever cost (I am simply too old for this), and so I did (hence posting my tracks here, 6 of them so far). to be frank I love listening to my music and I am old enough to know that not everybody will. I compose for myself but if somebody else liked it, it sure pleases me but no illusions.
    as for you last point, I have to humbly disagree. I listen to all styles and I certainly know if I like a composition or not, and that goes for Beethoven, Stravinsky, Bob Dylan, Duran, Jean Michel Jarre, Dua Lipa or whomever

once again thank you for taking the time and my best regards
    Long live Music & Musician
    Music is nourishment to the soul

20. Yellow Raven

I can see your point of view and it's true to some extent. but my point of view is that this is a community (at least to me) and helping each other, however little we can do, that is why when I listen to some of you who post here, I try to give the best honest opinion I can.
    where I live Almost 90% of music is Oriental the rest is the most typical radio hits so audience is quite limited. heck even my kids listen to Bieber and stuff like that.
    anyway once again thank you for your time and honest opinion.
    cheers

21. 8bits

8bits Producer

Hey...glad to listen your lovely track.
    Mix listening: The lead bell is too in front of the mix when the drums are not! Maybe focus on it and balance better the medium low freq because I miss some punchy and transients.
    Artistic composition: I like it, sounds a bit pre pop synth era some guys said Moroder like it and I agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List