My new Latin House Track ( Rough Mix )

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by jack1958, Aug 10, 2024.

1. jack1958

jack1958 Ultrasonic

Any Mix Suggestions are welcome !

Greetings Jack

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think you have enough problems going on where I would chase my tail trying to fix it, and end up not getting it where I wanted anyway. A rabbit hole. Your kick is most likely the source of a good portion of your problems. From a time point of view, I would almost start over. It's a very busy track and getting lost and in the adjust everything 5 times loop would be easy to do. I would re-anchor your kick, bypass every plugin, pull all the other faders down, and get your rough mix done with no plugins. Compressors especially.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I think that approach would save you more time in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. jack1958

jack1958 Ultrasonic

Hi Clone, thanks for your opinion. I have very cheap speakers and a non treated room, so it`s hard for me to do a proper mix .I`ll just dropped Ozone on the Master Buss to make it loud.

5. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

i hear it on cheap no low end speakers and dont hear any trace of kick when drop starts .
    with so much going on you must duck the shit out and get ballance between kick and all that top end stuff or use automation,filtering and what not to seperat a bit and clean it up.

seems also you have way to much litter going on in top end .

save up for a pair of dt770 , them are low endish headphones , payable and should be good compare to your speakers.

no(at least in these state and not that preset,also ozone presets just a startingpoint)

just glue a bit...use vca comp

but clones approach first i guess

Last edited: Aug 11, 2024
  6. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

this

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Blu

Blu Producer

Not my cup of tea but I'll give you my 2c.

It doesn't sound bad, on the contrary I think that it sounds already pretty professional, from an arrangement and choice of sounds point of view (if the goal is a "commercial" sounding track) but there are things to correct.

As has been noted the kick is really buried in the mix and has to stand out more, even if the genre doesn't call for a massive kick it still has to be present enough: sidechain and volume balancing is your friend here.

Bass is also very light but I think it's a stylistic choice, anyway I'd raise its volume a couple of dBs and add some harmonics to make it a little bit more present, just a touch.

There's harshness and congestion that seems result of over compression/limiting: try to not go over 2/3db limiting on the master bus and use proper gain staging if using analog emulation vsts, it's a good practice to do it regardless.

If you used compression/saturation on single tracks/buses try to reduce gain reduction/saturation till it sounds more relaxed.

I think you used loops to make the track, often loops are already heavily processed so you have to be very careful to not process them further to the point that they sound like shit. Limiting more than 3/4 db maximum on the master bus if you don't know exactly what you're doing can result in a ruined mix, especially when there are many things going on in the high-mids, like in preprocessed percussion loops like Vengeance sample packs or similar preprocessed sounding sample packs.

Try to use some gentle lowpass/shelve filters from 10/12k hz in some channels to carve some space for the sounds that you want to fill that space (for example the high hats).

Again: don't overcompress to achieve loudness.

8. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

:drummer:

9. jack1958

jack1958 Ultrasonic

Thanks for all the Tips and Suggestiones. Mates ! I am very grateful.

10. DJ PUKKA

DJ PUKKA Member

Sounds abit distorted.maybe too loud.Also try moving the instruments about [pan/eq] .Check your mono/stereo field.Alot is clashing in the mix..

11. Pinhead12

Pinhead12 Ultrasonic

Hello! I like your concept and the overall track. Here are my suggestions:

- The kick drum lacks strength and presence in the mix.
    - The abundance of percussion and drum loops creates a chaotic high end that overwhelms the track.
    - The bass and low-end suffer from the same lack of presence as the kick drum.
    - In Latino house music, the piano should stand out more.

You're heading in the right direction. I recommend listening to Afro Medusa's 'Pasilda (Knee Deep Mix)' for inspiration. When I played this vinyl in clubs 25 years ago, the crowd went wild. It remains one of the finest examples of Latino house/disco Latino house.

Remember, often "less is more." Use the track as a reference for how to structure yours.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hey. I dig the track although it's kinda messy heheh. It tries to capture a party vibe which i particularly like. Too many ideas crammed in there though. But let me start with off topic to go into it.
    For my mate @Auen Fred: For dance music and mixing in general, on a 150euro/dlr budget, I'd pick the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x over the Beyer DT770 anytime. It does have a flatter response and will give you a much nicer bass response, which i find most important in the electronic dance genres house,techno etc. Where the Beyers excel is clarity, more profound and refined highs which mind you though can be tricky for mixing and slightly better stereo image. But they are more suited for tracking/recording instead of mixing imho.
    I don't particularly agree. Not only because his piano is big with reverb and the likes. But also, if there's one generic element in Latin, be it traditional or house hybrid, it's percussion. And this should be detailed, articulate and upfront, also nicely panned and eq'd. And i don't particularly get a percussive vibe here because although it is there, it gets lost in the chaotic mix.
    In this mix everything is huge and as it is mostly constructed from loops, you -as others did- correctly pointed out that it becomes messy especially in the high end.

So for the OP. My friend you should start re-mixing with everything turned down much lower in volume. And make styling decisions. As it is your track flirts with two things. One is really old school piano house and the other is latin house. And it really is more the old school "Ride On Time" style rather than the Latin House you were probably aiming for despite the brass, perc and the occasional latin piano where it occurs.
    I would focus much more on a percussive latin groove rather than a old school house one. Both melodically and rhythmically. Find a bass pattern that works and stick with it making the melodic changes to fit the parts. As much as i tried i couldn't tell what your bass is really playing. Harmony behind the vocal parts is not always what sounds best, you should look into this as well. I find your brass very tasty and the Santana-like guitar breakdown is welcome too. In general you got the vibe, i 'd focus in having less instruments (and vocals perhaps) in favor of a much more articulate rhythm section than throwing in everything that fits the tempo, i'm sure you know what i mean.
    Remember the golden rule in house music. If you can start tapping your feet and move your head with just drums/perc and bass you are heading on correctly. The rest should be easy to fit in once you have the rhythm section grooving and stomping. And before i forget it, swing the effin thing a bit if you can. It 'll help too.
    Cheers

PS: I don't know if i can help with a personal example further as although i love all aspects of Latin i rarely had the chance to work on it. But i did produce a Samba House Remix for New Orleans brass band called Soul Rebels, about 15 years ago.
    Here's the original for comparison purposes:

And here's my "remix". Got a People's Choice award in a - now demised- Indaba contest. Quotes to remix because i completely changed the harmony and kept only some of the brass and vocals. 40+ tracks of drums and percussion, bass, Rhodes and Godin classical guitar which i had my mate Al Dente play, who also helped me re-harmonizing the song. Some fx and a few loops. It does follow what i call "live house" as it is much more organic rather than electronic, more of a song you can dance to, rather than a "house track". Not everyone's cup of tea, but happy enough i guess, hope you find something interesting there. (Bass might be more prominent than supposed, not my best master hehe).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  13. jack1958

jack1958 Ultrasonic

Would be great, if anybody`s could mix the Track properly. I can provide you with all the Stems i did in Ableton. Greets Jack

14. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

15. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

not my cup of tea but man ,this some proper shit my dude .

16. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Producer

@No Avenger
    i get 12%:mad:

17. reticular

reticular Producer

Can you export your mix without any Fx on the master and post it?

Also, how much attention you give to gainstaging or not clipping the plugin input while producing?You know, the question is are stems already clipped in some way or distorted baked like that or are they smooth and workable.

I think you got an ear for this genre and i heard your other tracks and i always think how cranked and loud the tracks are, and thick, energy wise, which is again good but i dont know, i feel this is the stuff Luca Pretolesi is good with.

18. jack1958

jack1958 Ultrasonic

Wouldn`t it be better for you,if i send you all the Stems without any Plugins on the individual Tracks ?

19. reticular

reticular Producer

Well, it might be good to post it here since this would be a good place to hear opinions, from production standpoint any plugins you have should stay on but this last step of mixing it should be "picked apart" or started over..or done is smaller moves step by step.

It might be a lot of work, but also maybe you could do it yourself so i would suggest posting versions so if somebody hears something you could understand your room better too.

All three tracks i heard so far remind me of this "vibe", similar busy top end, round clean mids.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024