My midi loop refuses to be midi.

Discussion in 'Logic' started by hugeskystalker, Jun 19, 2021.

1. hugeskystalker

hugeskystalker Noisemaker

So i have a midi loop i saved about a month ago, its now a green apple loop in the loop browser - but when i drag it in it creates a new audio track and becomes an audio file.

All the other loops work fine but this one just refuses, no matter what i do - any tips?

I tried looking for the loops folder but there are only aif files which apparently "contain" the midi files, which is fucking stupid since theres no way of extracting midi from them.

Growing more and more tired of logic each day, this loop is very important and logic just fucks it up for no reason.

3. I don't think it's Logics problem. Have you tried using the "Import Midi" function from the drop down menu under File, then Import?

4. hugeskystalker

When i do that, and go to my user loops folder, all the loops are greyed out, possible since they are all AIF files.
    I saved it as a MIDI loop, its a green loop in the loop browser in logic (O), but apple save all loops as AIF so theres no way of getting midi out of them except for dragging them from the loop browser into a project - but when i do that with this specific loop - it becomes an audio file, which is an error that needs fixing.

5. Have you got another app that can open midi files and resave it?

6. hugeskystalker

Yeah but thats the thing - i dont have the midi file. When you save a midi loop in logic it saves it as an AIF file, and then somehow the midi is contained within that AIF, and an AIF is an audio file, so i dont have the midi file - which is what im trying to get

7. OK. I think I see the problem now. You saved your midi file instead of exporting it. So it converted it to what instrument you had assigned it.
    It may be possible:
    https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgcpe2fd1b83/mac

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you haven't already fixed it, post it zipped up. it does sound like "user error" due to one of the quirky ways logic does handle "some stuff".
    I haven't bumped into this one. I don't really use the loop browser because I have some sort of conspiracy theory that by importing waves to the project through it that it is doing "something" to the sound because of how it wants to time stretch everything, etc. (I realize this is probably not technically the case, btw)

9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Ok, I'm talking out of my arse (since it's been a while) but most likely Logic stashed the MIDI file and is using a rendered copy for "convenience", if you know the name can you search for it <loopname> .mid (mind the space inbetween)?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2021