My McDSP and Slate Digital plugins won't open in Cubase/Nuendo - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by Bunford, May 25, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

So I've installed both VST2 and VST3 versions of AudioUtopia's releases of the McDSP plugins. They installed successfuly, but have some weird issues. In Ableton, only 3 or 4 of the VST2 versions are 'seen' and open ok, but all VST3 versions are seen and open ok.

However, in Cubase/Nuendo (versions 12.0.60), the VST2 versions are not seen at all (and yes, custom location for VST2 is configured), and the VST3 versions do not open as it causes an error, as per below:

upload_2023-5-25_9-34-10.png

SImilar issue in Studio One (version 6.1.1) where the VST2 are not seen at all like in Cubase/Nuendo, and the VST3 plugin doesn't open, but if I open a preset they open like this:

upload_2023-5-25_9-37-54.png

In Ableton Live, these are the only VST2 versions that are picked up, and they all open up as they should:

upload_2023-5-25_9-42-40.png

upload_2023-5-25_9-43-1.png

....continued in next post....

Last edited: May 25, 2023

Attached Files:

3. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

...and these VST3 are all picked (as they are picked up in Cubase, Nuendo, and Studio One too):

upload_2023-5-25_9-45-30.png

But the crucial difference here is that they open fine in Live:

upload_2023-5-25_9-46-9.png

I have also tried within Reason (version 12.5.3), and all of the VST2 and the VST3 are picked up as I'd expect and all open up there too:

VST3:
    upload_2023-5-25_10-59-33.png

VST2:
    upload_2023-5-25_11-0-55.png

I also tried in Bitwig 4.4 and the VST2 don't get picked up there either, and whilst the VST do, they don't load, so identical to how Cubase, Nuendo, and Studio One behave with the McDSP plugins:

upload_2023-5-25_11-13-28.png

Therefore, it doesn't appear to be an issue with the VST3 plugins, but rather Cubase/Nuendo and Studio One's ability to open them properly. However, the VST2 may be a plugin issue as they're either not picked up or only picked up for 3 or 4 plugins instead of the whole bunch.

Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve for Cubase/Nuendo (and Studio One ideally) as I love these plugins, but prefer to use Cubase or Studio One for the mixing and mastering over Live, which are the stages I tend to use these plugins?

4. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

Run the 64 bit vst2 files via Jbridge then hide the original dll in your daws plugin list. Bridging the files fixed the issue of VST2 not opening.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Whereas this may resolve accessing and using the VST2 versions, it is still a hacked workaround that makes the preferred VST3 unusable and doesn't resolve the underlying issue. It doesn't just happen to McDSP plugins either, also happening to me for some other plugins, with the Slate Digital VMR, VBC, and Verbsuite being some other prominent ones that have the same issue.

It seems like there is something built into Ableton and Reason that is absent in Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, and Bitwig that allows for VST3 to open and load correctly. If it was the VST, then you'd expect it to be a consistent issue across all DAWs, surely. The errors in Cubase sometimes refer to it being a display issue, and so should be resolvable, especially as they open and display fine in Ableton and Reason. Whether that's resolvable by the user or by Steinberg, Presonus, Bitwig and co is another matter....

6. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

So, following a heads up by a fellow forum user (thanks @AudioMixing22 :wink:), I now have these working in Cubase and all other DAWs with a strange workaround. By loading in any of AudioUtopia's SoundToys plugins first, followed by McDSP plugin(s), the VST3 version of all McDSP plugins then load as expected and work perfectly. Therefore, loading up a SoundToys plugin and then bypassing it when wanting to use a McDSP plugin is a functional workaround. I assume there is some sort of 'proper' resolution to it, but I guess this hacked workaround will do until then :wink::rofl:

However, this doesn't work for the Slate Digital VMR, VBC, VTM, and VerbSuite VST3 plugins though :dunno:

7. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

That's why I didn't mention the 'fix' of loading a soundtoys plugin first, as it only works until you close the program. and then you have to repeat every time you open your DAW.

The Jbridge solution is set and forget. As far as the other plugins you mentioned, what versions are you using? Because those plugins have been updated in more recent releases, and should be working properly. You may need to do some system cleanup to make sure you don't have old dlls, or vst3 files that are being loaded rather than the updated versions.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

But jBridge only bridges VST2 doesn't it? May be a solution if me essay though, so will try as I purchased jBridge years ago so will grab the updated version.

The Slate Digital releases giving me issues are all the latest releases, being:

- Virtual Tape Machines 1.1.17.2 (R2R)
    - Virtual Mix Rack 2.6.4.0 (RET)
    - Verbsuite Classics 1.0.13.1 (R2R)
    - Virtual Bus Compressors 1.2.14.5 (R2R

They all have the same issue and all on a brand new machines with brand new hardware, hard drives, and a fully clean install on Windows 11, so nothing to clean up from previous installs.

Scorch Filter, Fresh Air, Infinity EQ, and Murda Melodies all work perfectly though.

9. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

I would turn that around personally. It's more like there is something going on with certain plugins that in some minuscule way, do not adhere correctly to VST standard. It's more like something lax is going on with lighter weight daw apps that are not sticklers for exacting VST standard.

Also what McDSP plugin pak we talking about here? The last AU McDSP pak was from 2015. It could very well be there are many plugins in that pak that (if they are still around today) have under gone many updates for issues such as the ones you describe.

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ok, so done some digging, and for the Slate Digital ones I've tried the suggested solutions such as installing latest Visual C+ Redistributable All In One and removing the settings.xml in ProgramData\Slate Digital\[Product] with no luck.

Therefore, this is my last attempt to get the VST3 working, and I'm hoping it will work!

I managed to do some trial and errors of links, and managed to find the Slate Digital naming convention for the links to their older releases of their products. I've now downloaded the original, genuine older releases from the links below:

Virtual Mix Rack 2.6.4.0: https://app.slatedigital.com/files/installers/vmr?platform=WIN&version=2.6.4.0
    Virtual Bus Compressors 1.2.14.5: https://app.slatedigital.com/files/installers/vbc?platform=WIN&version=1.2.14.5
    Virtual Tape Machines 1.1.17.2: https://app.slatedigital.com/files/installers/vtm?platform=WIN&version=1.1.17.2
    Verb Suite Classics 1.0.13.1: https://app.slatedigital.com/files/installers/vsc?platform=WIN&version=1.0.13.1

I now intend to try to uninstall the R2R/RET versions using IObit Uninstaller Pro or Revo Uninstaller to completely remove, restart the machine, install the legit versions from the links above, and then install the R2R/RET versions over the top. I'm hoping this will work, and that the original installers may install whatever component is missing that prevents the VST3 from working. All hypothetical and trial and error, but someone has to try it right :dunno::rofl:

Will report back if it works....or not :rofl:

11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This didn't work. Despite trying a few ways. I tried both fully installing clean legit version and then installing R2R/RET versions over the top and it didn't work. I took a backup of all the VST2, VST3, and AAX plugins from R2R and RET for later use.

I then cleaned everything and tried to fully install clean legit version and then just copy the VST2, VST3, and AAX files over the top and it didn't work either.

There must be something in the R2R and RET VST3 files that's stopping them from working I guess, as the VST2 and AAX open up fine.

12. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

Slate plugins are kind of weird on my machine.(windows 11 64bit)
    If i remove any one of them it breaks something with the others so, i have to uninstall all of them (using iobit uninstaller) then use ccleaner, then reinstall whatever i need. It usually works.

And with the MCdsp stuff i have to run my D.A.W in windows 8 mode, as administrator. It seems to pick them up fine. Both vst2 and 3 but i prefer the vst3 version over 2.People said this was a common issue with studio one but it seems to work in Cubase as well.

Good luck.

13. BigM

BigM Guest

I tried VMR(Ret) in Cubase recently(Around two weeks ago) and it worked without any issues :dunno:.

14. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

The VST3 version?

And what did you install? Only a single format, or all VST2, VST3, and AAX?

Also, did you only install VMR, or have you also installed any other Slate Digital plugins?

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I might try this. I may do a full uninstall using IObit Uninstaller Pro, then restart, then do a CCleaner clean, restart, then check for registry issues to clean, and then restart, so that there is definitely no trace of Slate stuff on my machine. That should then allow me to start from a clean slate.... 'scuse the pun :rofl:

16. BigM

BigM Guest

Currently I only use Fresh Air.
    Let me install again and report back.

EDIT : VST3 version works perfectly. I noticed that this release needs Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable Package (x64) in order to work properly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2023
  17. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

Just wondering if you figured this out? I'm having the exact same problem with a McDSP plugin in Studio One. The same GUI, and everything else. I'm wondering if this is a timebomb issue?
    Do you have any leads? Really wanna be able to use that McDSP plugin again

Strangely, it works fine in Reaper

18. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I just used jBridge to wrap them and use the x64 VST2 version of McDSP in that way.

Still not managed to get the VST3 version of Slate Digital stuff to work though, despite trying after a couple of fresh install occasions too, and making sure all VS C++ Redist's are installed using the latest and update all-in-one bundle from TechRadar.

19. Hybridstudios

Hybridstudios Ultrasonic

fyi, what i found dealing with mcdsp and getting that error, right click and run the daw in windows 8 mode with admin and mcdsp plugins will work. outside of that, ypu will always get that error when opening vst3 mcdsp plugins that are on the sister site

20. Maani.58

Maani.58 Member

Open one the SOUNDTOYS plugins ,by Audioutopia ,in your control room and disable it

Then open all mcdsp plugins
    :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List