My Macbook running mojave will not boot when i turn it on, fuck..... Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by CharlieCrizzle, Feb 7, 2020.

1. CharlieCrizzle

CharlieCrizzle Kapellmeister

i have been messing around with some terminal stuff and applications that give you access to things that arent supposed to be tweaked with. Also while running disk utility, i think i accidentally created a partion?.? Because now my start up disk is in 2 sections, one having basically nothing, and the other with almost 800 gigs occupied.

I tried to start up in safe mode and failed. I then tried to start up while getting rid of the Pram during start up and still no luck. Then started up in recovery mode and actually saw screens. I ran disk utility. The Picture shows the state of my disk. I accidentally created a partion that is named p:olj. Before this my single SSD disk image was Untitled. Now the Untitled has nothing and the p:olj is where basically 99.9% of my stuff is.
    This link contains images of the information of each disk visible during disk utility. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y1FjZ1dEclVycHM5Ym5DZ3RBUTNhSnFQNUFVZGJ3
    My start up disk was indeed yellow telling me that there was something wrong. So i ran first aid and then tried restarting. Still no luck. I am the type who will tinker and fuck with things for hours before legitimately seeking help. But right now I am halting everything until i talk to people who can convince me they arent dumb as i am. Any help will fucking rock my world and earn you serious cool points.

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Oh shit, man. This does not bode well.
    Are you able to clone all this to another drive temporarily so that we can start again and experiment with your drive in this current state?
    I mean, you're only supposed to create a partition before installing an OS etc. I have an idea what to do, but I'm not totally confident to say yet, under the circumstances!
    I don't want to say it, but I'm 99% sure that this is not going to have a good outcome for you. And I feel for you.
    But if you can even just copy everything across to somewhere else temporarily, let alone clone where you're at, we may be able to do something...
    Stay chilled for now; I'll be able to talk to a friend in the morning.
    Have you tried to boot from the main disk from recovery mode? By holding Alt down when you power up, until you hear the chimes?

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Brother, you have to run First Aid on the Internal drive. The Disk Image with the macOS base system is used for recovery. It' is not your actual drive or any of it's contents.
    Regardless of that, if there is a newly created and unwanted partition First Aid will not help remove it.
    Like Smoove said, backup what you can to a completely separate drive. If you are then sure there is nothing on the newly created partition (or have backed everything up), you can use Disk Utility to erase JUST that partition and reunify your drive. When you're done you can use Finder and rename the single partition to whatever you would like.

Do NOT delete the partition where you know your content is. Click the 'minus' button in the Partition tab in Disk Utility after selecting the empty partition. You can then safely rename the volume to 'Untitled' or whatever you like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

You know what, I thought you'd be someone who knew the correct answer @Pinkman! I knew you were Mac.
    You absolute star! Well done.
    I was hoping you'd show up, as I don't know if it's correct etiquette to just tag someone to get their attention.
    So the main partition won't show up as bootable in this state if op holds alt at power up? I said recovery mode, but I realise now that's wrong.

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@Smoove Grooves Alt (Option) - booting will show all bootable drives, including disks and USBs with installer images. The best thing to do in this case is, like you said backup, remove unnecessary partition then run first aid on the existing partition.

@CharlieCrizzle You could also reinstall the OS over what you currently have after deleting the extra partition. It will not delete your User directory, so all your files and content will be intact.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. charlie6495

charlie6495 Member

Guys I'm sorry I have nothing useful to say but people like you make me love this community and im glad to of joined it as of recently Thank you guys for helping others seriously I sincerely mean it the internet can be a very toxic place and im no saint either but seeing shit like this makes other people want to do positive this is positivity and love guys sorry I can't help but you guys inspire me to help others Thanks

8. CharlieCrizzle

There is 836kb on the newly created partion.... Could be the launch codes that Trump shared with me, but im like 75% sure they arent.
    So i was mistaken, the new partion i created was untitled and i somehow renamed the orignal disk as the p.olg or whatever... I have a 500g external ssd that i could try to clone what i can over. Thing is I have never cloned a disk before....

Alright pinkman, you are my captain now. If you want me to delete the partion and run disk utility, I will. If you say reinstall mojave on top after deleting the partion, ill do that. Im staying put until you give the command

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

9. CharlieCrizzle

If you want real solutions to real problems, this place is extremely helpful. I went to reddit with this problem and was immediatley told that i needed to completely delete the drive.. Some people here get silly with stupid drama and shit that just doesnt fucking matter, but Most people hear are well informed and and genuinely ready to help you. I think I have directly talked to pinkman once or twice, but just from knowing his posts I definitely trust him.

10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

@CharlieCrizzle If you've removed the extra partition, then do it, bro. One great advantage to OSX/macOS is their sandbox nature. You can reinstall the OS at the system level and the User profiles will remain untouched.

Theoretically, you can do all this without backing up but backing up your files is good practice. It's your call. Let us know how this goes and all the best.

Friend.

:mates:

11. Fufutos

Fufutos Member

It's been ages since I've had to mess with partitions and such but... shouldn't making the partition, which still has the OS, active through terminal let him boot into it? I'm pretty sure the empty partition is the active now so Darwin can't find the kernel on it. Activating the OS partition, after repairing it, should boot the machine, no?

try:
    -Boot again into recovery mode
    -go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal
    -Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on. Type in terminal:

Code:
    diskutil list
    -Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.) If you have only one disk it should be disk0
    Assuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), then type:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
    (use "rdisk" with your disk number there and give your password when asked!!)

-Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active". Type:

Code:
    p
    Verify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.)
    (Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ...")

-Set the partition "Active"
    Assuming it is partition 3, then type:

Code:
    f 3
    (use your partition number there !!)

-Save and exit. Type:

Code:
    write
    (to save your changes)

Then Type:

Code:
    y
    (yes you are sure)

Then Type:

Code:
    exit
    (to quit)

-Reboot

PS2: if you'd like me to tell you exactly what to type in terminal: boot in recovery mode, go to Disk Utility, right-click on the partition with the OS and click "Get info". Post a pic of all the info in the window that will open;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  12. CharlieCrizzle

i still need some help guys