My little compressor on drum loop comparison

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by No Avenger, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

They sound worse WHEN you use it with wrong settings.Otherwise with appropriate settings it just sounds better.And for some sounds,for recordings and for busses they are just essentials.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

As expected, reacomp/builtin DAW FX uses the least CPU

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List

3. Thank you. That's fascinating, but execution time is a very limited metric because it doesn't account for code efficiency. I'd have expected the Softube 1B to be much slower than it is, given its colouration, and that must be down to assembler coding. And, as always, Acustica thrashes the machine to buggery even using a simple compressor like the TAN, placing around 12 times the load the Softube does.

It's a lovely idea, the Acustica solution, but it just don't make it in the real world on real machines. It would be worth including an Airwindows plug. Very small and fast.

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Good idea, unfortunately, this man built 51 compressors!!! Are there one or two special ones you had in mind?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. No Avenger

[​IMG] :like:

Ok, I'll try compresaturator.

EDIT: Done, plus some more...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

I use an old second generation i5 and the CPU usage is lower than yours. Why is that the case?

• List
  7. No Avenger

Don't know, better mainboard, less programs running in the background? :unsure:

8. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Dunno why this thread is not sticky, this is def a great effort. Have to listen at home with HP,
    would be interesting to know which comps stood out for other peeps?
    Appreciate the work @No Avenger

9. The Freq

The Freq Guest

What I really want to know is in your opinion which one is the most effective and equally most transparent overall?
    Can that be determined easily enough from your tests?
    I will sacrifice CPU load for something great so while I think what you have done is fabulous, you can remove that from any answer if that helps? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. livemouse

livemouse Producer

Tin Brook Tales released an updated version of TLS 1295 LEA.
    the GUI has some great SNR
    [​IMG]

however, I've used this one and it also has a high SNR on the GUI
    [​IMG]

11. No Avenger

If by transparent you mean clean, which would exclude any tube, FET, opto and tape, Boz Manic Compressor in Sheer or Digital mode or stock digital.
    You'll find compressors without any added harmonics, though in case ofthe Boz the added harmonics are not audible, but only at the cost of a higher CPU consumption (with maybe the exception of FF's compressor, I didn't test it).
    For instance Sonoris Mastering Compressor is technically cleaner but produces a completely different sound which I don't like (with the same settings) and is round about 12 times as CPU hungry.

On the other hand, a few added harmonics are often perceived as more 'transparent' because they can make a sound brighter. But here it starts to become extremely complicated because the (excluded) compressors differ a lot in terms of kind (odd/even), level and quantity of added harmonics. And when to use which is a matter of source, goal and taste.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. The Freq

The Freq Guest

By transparent I mean it audibly, the tones/timbre of the sound does not change to the human ear and zero pumping. Talk to me like I know nothing about the technical aspects because I only know it from a musician's point of view, so only a little - Nobody has made a vst that accurately reproduces the Aphex compellor to this stage though I did read that UAD comes close. Thanks for the lesson Maestro :) So the one swiss-army knife compressor you would use as a default 'go to' is ??? - I also noticed Slate Digital was not big on your list. Only as a musician which means I am limited in contribution here, the compressor in the FX-G Mastering tool seems pretty transparent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2021
  13. No Avenger

Sadly, I never had the opportunity to test or use the Compellor. But it's not just a compressor. It combines several dynamic modules, partly or all frequency dependant, with different ratios and (automated) timings and even if you can use it on a single source, it's not made for this purpose.
    In short, it doesn't fit in this list at all (apart from being hardware).
    BTW, FX-G isn't just a compressor either. I tried it several years ago and all I remember is that it didn't convince me in the way that it didn't contribute anything I needed to the softs I already used.

A Swiss Army knife would be the Boz, DMGAudio TrackComp and FabFilter's Pro-C. They all come with various emulations and are fully adjustable. But of course they differ in GUI, handling, sound, price and CPU consumption.

14. The Freq

The Freq Guest

Great it means I the grasshopper here chose wisely. That's my default. I can actually see what it's doing, or I think I can at worst :rofl:

15. No Avenger

You know in audio, hearing is believing, right? :winker: Even better, comparing. You never know how 'good' or 'bad' a compressor (or an EQ) sounds unless you compared it. :yes:

16. 9000k

9000k Producer

judging from your samples Michael Jackson's Ultimate Compressor is my favourite
    guess I really knew what I was doing choosing this one to stay in my vst folder

• List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Where are Winrar and 7-Zip? Best compressors hands down. A bit CPU hungry but hey, nobody's perfect.
    Except Billie Eilish, ofc.

18. The Freq

The Freq Guest

That other compressor Winzip was great for a while until like Billie, it started to believe its own publicity.
    :facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

True fact. I even forgot Billie Eilish is not my idol anymore. So scratch that and instead nobody's perfect except Shay Bradley and Elizabeth Zharoff.