My interpretation of BWV 639

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Lieglein, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

I've recently finished an interpretation of "Ich ruf zu dir Herr Jesu Christ". I believe there are still some not so precise non legato parts but I think all in all it's pretty much perfect. All the other interpretations are played way to expressionistic of course (as always way to many ritardando) so I've had to do this by myself.

It's only 192kbps because of the limited file size so the original is way more clear but hear it for yourself. :yes:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019

Attached Files:

3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Knowing this piece it struck me that your rendition, ritardando notwithstanding, to me was a bit mechanical and lacked emotion, the human feel of someone playing their instrument of choice and expressing their relationship with what the song represents to them. This is meant to be played passionately which did not come through in your playing or arrangement. That is my personal take on it, tut mir leid.

4. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Ja, natürlich verstehe ich all diese Interpretationen, man versucht immer so eine Natürlichkeit in die Stücke zu bringen. Das ist definitiv nicht meine Philosophie. Das würde jetzt zu weit führen aber um es kurz zu machen: Ich bin da mehr auf der Seite von Karajan, der da sagte "Ein Stück kann nur eine richtige Ausführung haben". Und da muss man erstmal untersuchen, was denn der genaue Ausdruck dahinter ist und ob man denn wirklich mit seiner Spielweise zusätzliche "Emotionen" hineinwirken lassen soll (denn das klingt ja in manchen Aufnahmen schon fast wie LangLang es spielen würde). Und letzteres sehe ich ehrlich gesagt überhaupt nicht. Meine Ausführungen sind immer extrem geradlinig.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I do not believe in any way, shape or form, or that there is any rule that insists that you must express what the composer wished for any given piece, but what one must do is to inject one's own feelings, those raw emotions, your own personal interpretation filled to the brim with your soul in order to fulfill your own artistic semblance of worth. Why do it any other way?

My German sucks big time, and although I understand what you said, expressing myself is all but impossible to convey my passion for passion sake in Deutch.

6. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Ah sorry, because of the last sentence I thought you are German. My bad. :hahaha:

Yeah as I said. It's a bit too much to discuss this whole thing under these circumstances here. :yes:

7. It's amazing ...:shalom:

Composition, arrangement, orchestration, performance are totally different tasks. Music listeners should consider that fact beforehand. Good performance doesn't mean being good at composition at all.

For me personally what matters most is the composition and this piece fulfils that expectation. If I don't like a composition, the best performance of that composition on the planet would not catch my attention.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2019
  8. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Should be a good composition coming from the master...

And the pauses (or fermata in italian) wich Lieglein calls ritardando are of paramount importance in baroque music, same as the extension of the dotted notes. Cheers.

9. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Of course they are. But no this was not what I was referring to. :dunno:

None of this is part of anything that was written before. :unsure:

What does a dotted note have to do with an expressionistic playing? :hahaha:

10. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Make your search... And by the way, what do you mean with expressionistic? maybe the Schoenberg school?