My Hosts File Gone

Discussion in 'PC' started by Wowbagga, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Wowbagga

Wowbagga Member

A couple of plugins from Aurora DSP (R2R versions) stopped working recently with unusual errors, and while I was searching for a possible reason I have noticed that my Hosts file was missing. I don't believe I had deleted it myself by mistake (nothing can be 100% certain of course). So I am wondering if any software can do this? As far as I know "etc" folder is a protected system folder :dunno:

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

There are many reports of this from Windows users. do a search for "hosts file" on here, with both boxes unchecked and you will get many resulting threads. It can definitely happen.

4. Mechanix604

Mechanix604 Kapellmeister

https://hostsfileeditor.com/ You can also archive the hosts files there. I've been using it for a long time and don't want to miss it anymore

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. deathroit

deathroit Member

Are you using a TinyWall firewall?

6. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Did you install any of the free plugins from Aurora DSP? They are prone to wiping out host files.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

Windows and some installers/updaters make backups, look at any hosts.* files in the same directory.

Hosts file editors usually make a backup so it might worthwhile to use one in the future, and make personal backups. I use the Microsoft Powertools "Hosts File Editor" that does error checking and backups on changes, but most similar apps should work.

8. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

You should change the permissions and security on that file as well as back it up every so often with the rest of the system. I have limited control of the hosts file given to the system and it's marked READ-ONLY as well.

9. Wowbagga

Wowbagga Member

No I use Windows Security alone

10. Wowbagga

Wowbagga Member

Yes I had my lesson a bit late and with some damage. Interestingly that did never happen before, for almost seven years since I have installed Windows on my PC

11. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

In rare cases, specific third-party software, particularly security or system optimization tools, might unintentionally delete the hosts file as part of their cleaning or modification processes. Therefore, creating a regular backup is advisable. However, outdated backups can be ineffective in specific situations, as they may lack recently added critical information.

12. Wowbagga

Wowbagga Member

Indeed. I have checked some host files shared in the forum but most of them does not cover my plugin collection ;)

13. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I'm almost 100% certain one of the big Windows 10 updates (like 21H1 or w/e) reset my hosts file at some point.