My brand new workstation is a 6000$ piece of Junk

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by yabiss, Mar 27, 2018.

1. saltwater

saltwater Guest

disagree, thats the most important thing out of anything, even more important than the cpu.
    this is where macs shine and PCs will never ever come close.
    and the other most important thing is you start making music instantly without loosing time to set up your machine or reinstall all the shit over and over again, which in most cases you end up with windows. win 10 is a no go anyway with this retarded update system messing up everything on a regular basis.

for that amount of money one could get a brand new iMac pro or a pumped trash can, which are a both just a hassle free dream for Audio.

check this out, its insane, and since audio does not need a lot of sustained max power like gaming or rendering, they are absolutely silent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Partially.
    I built lots of computers for a lot of people, the biggest issue is xeons are not optimal for music production and while Cubase is not optimized for multi cores, it still handles stuff better than Reaper.
    There is this assumption about Reaper being the most efficient DAW which is incorrect, its cpu meter is not correct and while in the beginning of a session it seems as Reaper has a lot more headroom it starts to choke on bigger projects.
    Its just not better coded than Cubase PT or Sonar, its a mess of a DAW and not a real competition to Cubase/Nuendo.
    Yamaha/Steinberg have much better engineers and a lot more money for development.
    Right now no other DAW offers what Cubase does and when people have major problems with it( i never did), its usually their hardware or cheap non optimized audio drivers.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

You know we can say this about Microsoft and windows. Microsoft has more $ and better engineers than Redhat. But Redhat will out run Windows any day. VMware is not built off of windows It's build off of Redhat and you know HyperV is pure crapif you are a true IT guy. People I hear run it because is comes with windows server and I know because I do IT also. But in honesty just because it's comes with windows server does not make it better.
    So $ does not equal a better programmers. Peoples actual real world performance does to me. I am not the only one in here that sees the difference in Reaper versus Cubase. And I can tell you if Cubase was better I would state that. That is just not the case for me.
    Remember Windows is a Resource pig and if you put more pigs on top of it you get a very fat pig.
    Anyway it's not up to either of us, it's his decision and I said and stated if it works for him and he likes Reaper. IF not he can stay with Cubase His call.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  4. tnc

tnc Producer

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. tnc

tnc Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I think there are some slight misconceptions,
    pumped Mac Trash Can is definitely NOT a hassle free dream, there is no sane way to pump it up because there is no way except outdated thunderbolt2 to expand anything, workaround like this is not as reliable as I expected, one of the rigs from OB van went for warranty service just few weeks ago,
    Apple is automatically setting their device cooling policies to "slowdown before going loud as fck" which basically means their devices remain relatively silent at cost of performance drop, which is not that good - Windows lets you at least choose the cooling policy,
    Xeons are not optimal due to lower clocks, but on the other hand support of ECC ram is valuable and is not available on Core-i series, it's unfortunate Intel is crippling everything in some way, for audio production highest IPC (instructions per clock) matters, which is basically highest core clock frequency,
    to me Reaper does seem as better coded, it is usually choked by shittily-written plugins such as iZotope, or by audio driver/interface and the host OS,
    not sure what you call "bigger projects", but I consider around 200 tracks/busses a "medium project" and no DAW can keep up with Reaper at such scale,
    Cubase is burdened by legacy code and logic, although it has drastically changed, it's too bloated for what it offers (compared to for ex. Reaper or even Sonar), it's more than obvious reworking the entire code is impossible and writing new piece of software is undesired as well - this is a growing closed-circle problem of all major companies, such as AVID, Adobe, Microsoft, Autodesk etc..
    speaking of programmer teams, believe it or not, but most companies have less than 20 "true" programmers to work on actual product (and not some licensing bullshit, marketing and other stuff) and from coding perspective, it doesn't make much sense to have more people as this results in more code conflicts and bugs in long run,
    Windows is another legacy burden, I am happy I no longer need to use it, but let's be fair, it's designed as totally versatile product for anyone, so it is bloated by nature, obviously nobody sane has time to waste on deep optimization and cleanup of the installer to end up with something as light (or should I say "Lite"?;) as Windows 10 64bit consuming around 400MB ram when idle or Windows 7 32bit consuming around 200MB ram when idle, not stressing disk I/O and cpu cycles

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

9. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

I'm happy this post lead to an interesting debate. I'm learning things which is always a good thing. Thanks to you guys...:wink:

I'm going to a friend of mine this week end to try on his 8700k PC. Wait and see.

Did anybody test Studio One 3 by the way? Just wondering...

10. yabiss

yabiss Platinum Record

interesting...

11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I have found the same also with Reaper. Also people have to understand you can not just keep upgrading your computer to met software low performance or bad programing. Cubase would be great if they undid the bloatware. Now for a real world test. Can
    yabiss load up a previous project in reaper and in cubase and compare the results. This will be a real world test for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

Audio is always realtime processing. And intel i7 7700K (4.4 ghz) is better than a 2.8 ghz Xeon for realtime processing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

I have buy a HP Z600 with two xeon X5570, and wow i have more power than i need, i use mostly reason and pt12, and now i can use some cpu hungry plugins because now it's my cpu's who are hungry of plugins rrrr miam miam they say give me plugins to eats rrrrr, for 377 euro on ebay i'm good for a long time =), Reason work very well with multi cpu with multi core, pro tools too, i can't test with cubase unfortunately.
    Don't need expensive workstation to work, i'm on win7 pro x64, of course d.a.w and plugins are 64bit, just tapehead, and ct5 are 32bit.
    For exemple now i can use a lot of decapitator, before with w3660 < (something like that) two decapitator maximum, now i can use 20 decapitator with no cpu problem pops cracks etc...

14. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Looks like it all depends on the host and how it handles multithreading especially for 3rd party Plugins.

15. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

have you tried Diva ,Repro5, Serum and VPS Avenger ?

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

a PC with macOS might be even more performant ;) In his video he just use Kontakt which has a very low CPU impact. I wonder how the results would look like if he use Plugins like Avenger, Serum or Repro-5
    Avenger for example does Multicore Processing, but Logic cant read the load from 3rd Party Plugins as far as I know. Hence it might look like this (one instance of Avenger on a Xeon MacPro Desktop):

[​IMG]

17. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  18. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I just created a quick test on my ancient i7-4770k hackintosh.
    It can handle 105 Instances of Decapitator without dropouts and one core left

[​IMG]

But interesting is that Logic do NOT spread the loads across the cores, It just use one Thread / Track.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

from amazon comments when i remember right
    i heared the amd ryzen is really good in latency and realtime proccessing...someone said his lower ryzen works better than a higher pentium for audio....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

wtf huschiwuschi ....impressive..thx for showing