My arrangement of the Deep Space Nine theme

Discussion in 'Music' started by littlewierdo, Dec 7, 2019.

1. littlewierdo

littlewierdo Kapellmeister

I posted this in another thread that apparently no one else can view, so Im posting it here.

Growing up, Deep Space Nine was a staple tv show, a future of space travel, the majesty of space and all its wonders, presented in a tv drama taking place aboard a space station over the course of 7 years.

The theme for this show was nothing short of majestic, presented in simple chord structures of 5ths and even had a rarely used in orchestral music, a diminished chord that was used (when you listen, it will sound like the trumpet is playing the wrong note, I assure you, it is the correct note). These simple chord structures are fantastic for brass, they are what gives the majestic feel that we love to hear.

This is my arrangement of this theme, heard in a way that has never been heard before. Unlike the original theme, which suffered from dynamic compression (softer sounds were impossible to create, so many older TV shows were all much the same volume), this version features a dynamic, bold, wall of sound that I believe the original version would have had if it were not for dynamic compression and frequency cutoffs. There is a bass line in here that will shake the pictures off your wall and the horns and coronet will cause your hair to leave your head momentarily, after which, it will return to its original location, asking, "what just happened?"

• Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

4. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Really well done. DS9 is probably my favorite orchestral theme.

Is there anything you feel like sharing about the production?
    Kontakt libraries, DAW, FX etc.?

5. littlewierdo

Cubase 10.5, Vienna Suite Pro FX (compressor, EQ, Exciter), MIR Pro with IR Synchron stage (reverb), the horns are using Blackhole reverb engine with the cathedral reverb preset, and the tail reduced substantially, Vienna starter edition libraries, (cannon from Smart Spheres, for the deep bass line), and one of the rumblers from omnisphere in the beginning to give more oomph.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Excellent.
    Well done!
    And the dynamics are lovely.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  7. waverider

waverider Rock Star

That's a really nice sound and sweet arrangement. I had no idea that the original was volume compressed. So I take it these are from the entry level libraries of VSL? I wonder how this would sound with the more expensive or more detailed editions.

8. littlewierdo

I dunno, their complete libraries will run over $12,000 and they are only orchestral sounds. Unlike others, VSL is only (mostly) orchestral, and they dont have alot of overlap between different libraries (spitfire for example has multiple string libraries that are much the same content with a different orchestra / mic setup - BBC Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra, Hanz Zimmer strings, etc.)

There is by the way, a new version of this I put on soundcloud with the proper panning, for some reason, the export had all of the instrumentation centered, this new version, the panning is correctly positioned so that the sound stage is more stereoish.

And yea, in this version, the reverb tail is too long, I need to fix that, but, will do that later, you'll have to forgive that part of it, and the barely noticeable "blip" of a wrong note near the end.

9. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

Thanks for the insight, and again, amazing job on this!
    i saw an orchestra perform it live on YouTube and it was awesome, but I can't find the link.