My acoustic cover versions

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by kearnsy, Mar 28, 2014.

1. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Howdy all

I've recorded a load of covers live for an acoustic project i'm working on to try and put some bread on the table, playing round the pubs, busking, that kind of thing

Everything is recorded live through the one mike to try and get the sound of how it would sound in a live setting

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think, even though it's not an acoustic forum

Cheers folks

http://soundcloud.com/kearnsykearns

3. Demon

Demon Producer

Hey mate,

I listened to about 10 of your songs.

Walk on the wild side was very nice. It has that raw feel and your voice really suits it.

Friday I'm in love is also a very emotional song. I like what you've done there. The best thing about this one, and all the other tracks really, is that you turned it into your own version instead of trying to sound like the original.

Let me end by saying that it takes some balls to go out there and play these just like that: you and your guitar.

Well done!

- The Demon.

4. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

First of all I think you've made a good selection of songs and you do a fine job on both the guitar and harmonica. I would drop some cash in your hat if you were busking around my neighbourhood.
    Not sure about Common People though, to me that one seems like a song not very well suited for this stripped down sound.
    Agree with The Demon about Walk On The Wild Side, your voice fits great.
    Love Her Madly, Hound Dog and Goin Up The Country also sounded really good to me, and special props for Watching The Wheels, haven't heard that little gem in ages :thumbsup:

5. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Cheers guys, so do you think i can get away with hitting the bum notes in some of the vocals then? '0)

That's what I'm worried about you see when doing it live, hitting them duff notes and seeing the peoples faces cringe

6. Demon

Demon Producer

I really think that if you use your own style, which you have done, you just show that you're playing your own version of the songs.

I say go for it. If you play "Friday I'm in love" or "Walk on the wild side" and someone expects you to sound like Robert Smith or Lou Reed, well:

1. Those dudes can't sing for shit anyway, so you did the songs a favour.
    2. Why would you want to sound like him/them anyway?
    3. This applies to every song.

Enjoy, so therefore make them enjoy.

The Demon

7. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

I like that way of thinking...enjoy the bum notes '0)

8. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Yeah man, you have some bum notes here and there, but I don't think it was too crazy.
    So if you just apply a kind of cool and laid back attitude to the singin and don't try to do too much with your voice I think you're OK.