My ableton crashed in Windows 7.. help?

Discussion in 'Live' started by holdyourhorses, May 3, 2014.

1. holdyourhorses

holdyourhorses Newbie

My hardware is really nice, lots of RAM, nice processor. Etc...

But there are two things that are happening:

1. with Google Chrome, sometimes it says "waiting for cache" and this freezes all of my programs, including Live, and sometimes makes it crash. Is there a fix for this?

2. Also, I have a LOT of samples and plugins. If I were to keep this in a Usb 3.0 Compatible external hard drive, would this help? What's the standard process for keeping ableton lean and kicking?

Thanks,

HYH

3. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Not sure about he cause of your problem but one thing I do know is that Ableton Live crashes a lot, especially in 64bit. I still use though ... and get mad :p
    This might not be the best solution but maybe switch to Bitwig ? I'm considering making the swich more and more myself. It's very similar to Ableton Live but it has a crash protection system where each vst runs within its own platform so if one vst crashes, you can just reset the vst and it doesn't crash the whole program.

4. xHitoKiri

xHitoKiri Member

Do you have an audio interface?

Sounds like that could be your problem.

Ableton would probably be faster on a SSD drive than 3.0 external but i doubt that's the reason for the crashes.

5. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

Keep your samples ideally on a separate internal drive from your operating system/program drive (which is best to be an SSD). And do a clean install of your operating system every year, it takes a a little bit to put all the programs back, but it makes such an amazing difference in performance. And yeah, it you don't have one, get a better audio interface. Also this program http://www.raxco.com/home/products/perfectupdater works absolute wonders.

6. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If this happens, try downgrading chrome, or using another browser instead?

7. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Chrome is using too much ressources. Use Firefox instead. Some Harddisks turn off when in idle. To reaktivate they need 5-10 seconds sometimes. And Ableton Live can also crash if you have bad 3rd party plugins. Try to cleanout these bad plugins.

8. happyshoppa22

happyshoppa22 Newbie

Are you making a tune or reading facebook

9. virusg

virusg Rock Star

from what ive seen on some others folks chrome opens up from 6 to 10 (if not more) instances of the program when you only use one page ...uts the dumbest browser ive seen but ! ...i make you the same question as happyshoppa22 : Are you making a tune or reading facebook ??? ...lol