MXL 990 vs. Neumann TLM 102

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Deceptive, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

2. Cube Sixty-Three

Cube Sixty-Three Kapellmeister

Right, wonder why you're so pressed. This a broke person comparison, it's a Nuemann so just buy it and save everyone's time. Now you've to go buy a capsule to replace the damn cheapo. Wish you luck like :wtf::trolls:

3. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

Nuemann :wink::wink::wink: ....:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

4. Cube Sixty-Three

I saw the petty thread you opened and I see it got deleted, yeah your pettiness is worrisome.

Let me break it down so maybe you can learn something that common sense should have already given you.

— 29 Studios across the country.

I can recollect these cos they are the most asked for or preferred by clients

3 x SONY C800G
    3 x TELEFUNKEN ELEKTROAKUSTIK U47
    2 x TELEFUNKEN ELEKTROAKUSTIK ELA M 251E
    8 x Neumann U 67
    7 x Neumann U 87
    4 x Neumann 103
    2 x Neumann 102 (newly acquired, left me :woot:)

Do the math, wait a minute... I think I'm actually over $350 grand... this is the one I remember for now. I'll check tomorrow :cheers:

5. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

JP.jpg

350 000 Dollars Mic Collection ....:hahaha::hahaha::hillbilly: ....$350,000 studio owner, hangs out and waiting for free R-R plug-ins :hahaha:

6. Cube Sixty-Three

Goodluck :wink:

7. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

come on, why 29 studios ? hit it one more ... make it 30:hillbilly::hillbilly::hahaha: ... it doesn't cost anything ... you're in the Az forum ...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  8. Cube Sixty-Three

Damn, I need to quit arguing with you, not worth my time. I don't download cracked plugins, I buy everything I use. Don't always assume everyone is here for cheap mics and cracks, again good luck, keep well.

9. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

Thank you for sharing your $350,000 microphone collection with us:rofl::rofl:

f1f580c8-700e-4c18-8eaf-c9de2430b162_1.b103dc4248552d471c515b5f519ef6c1.jpeg

10. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

come on, i'll give you a studio so that a round number becomes...30! ...

@Cube Sixty-Three , here is your STUDIO NUMBER 30 !!:cool:

81sMKOlhztL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

11. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

12. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

Don't always assume everyone is here for cheap mics and cracks
    yes sure , you are here to meditate with us ...:invision:

13. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

Well, I do have also high end microphone collection, (Sony C800G, 2x Neumann u67, U87, Custom C12/251 ect...) and have tested in depth over a hundred microphones, Vintage M49's, U47's C12's, Manley, Blue, etc... as well as many cheaper and more modern microphones, many of which were manufactured in China.

And this is what I can say:

1. Price and quality are certainly not linear. I've used all type of high end, vintage, and cheap gear. More expensive doesn't always mean better, sometimes it just means 'different'.

2. Vintage is not always better. Many modern designs are cheaper to produce and components are tighter in terms of tolerance and fidelity. To me, in my experience some modern designs are simply improvements over older more romanticized designs, and tend to also come in a cheaper price points.

3. The overtly critical hate for Chinese made microphones and components is ignorant and unfounded. There are many great sounding microphones that are of Chinese origin. Its literally the same logical fallacy as bigotry or racism, assuming there is inherently wrong with a product, rather than taking the time to assess each product or weaknesses on its own merit. capacitors and components don't care which county they originate or are assembled in. Just ask Telefunken, when they though they could sell the $200 Apex 460, (aka: Nady 1050, TCM1150, HST-11A, AMC 1200, etc..) rebadged as a $1200 Telefunken mic (Telefunken M16).

4. I have found that for modern and contemporary music sometimes a brighter, cleaner sound is actually an advantage over what some call "warmth" associated with other microphones. I have found several cheap microphones that I feel compete with my high end microphones that I recommend to buyers on budget. There are also many affordable clones of high end mics, some of which sound just as good, and some better than their original counterpart. I've also in many scenarios preferred the sound of a Chinese capsule over an Australian or German made capsule. it really just depends on preference and application.

I personally take no gripe if one chooses to ignore these facts, so people can be as snobbish, or as opinionated about it as they like, it doesn't personally bother me either way. But I will say the MXL 990 is a great mic, and sounds good in its own right. The Neumann TLM 102 is also a good mic. They are different as, I would say the MXL 990 is cleaner, and Neumann mics have a 'house sound' where the mids are saturated/colored. Either way, both can be used to professional results in the right hands.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List