Muted jazz trumpet?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Arabian_jesus, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I've been wondering about a certain sound that is heard in the background at 0:59 in the main theme for the new Bond film No Time To Die. My best guess is that it is a muted jazz trumpet, but my knowledge of brass instruments is not great, so it could be something else.

I think that the trumpet in the main theme for the series Homeland is probably played the same way.

Are there any trumpet players or brass experts here that can confirm my theory or correct me? :)

3. Ed Jachimowicz

Ed Jachimowicz Producer

The start of that sound around 1.00-minute mark is indeed a mute trumpet (at least based on the pitch) but it is mixed/followed up with a sample or synth sound of something more sinister.

4. Arabian_jesus

Thanks! Do you mean that faint bell/chime thing that plays in the next measure, or that it's a synth mixed with the actual trumpet?

I really love the haunting vibe of the song! Probably my favorite Bond theme song since Licence To Kill by Gladys Knight. Skyfall also had a excellent theme song, but the composition in this one is just sublime.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The homeland does not sound muted to me but rather the player's technique coming through.

6. Arabian_jesus

Yeah, that could be it. I just thought of the Homeland intro when I heard that trumpet in No Time To Die. Love the chaotic and moody vibe! Perfect theme for Homeland.

7. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

The dark sound of the trumpet in Homeland is because it´s really a flugelhorn and isn´t muted. The other at miss Eilish i didn´t even hear it, I really dislike her.