"Must have" programs / tools for daily use.

Discussion in 'PC' started by ZUK, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i'm just going to be a mac douche and post my essential mac menubar apps despite the fact i am wholly not welcome here

menu.jpg

Moom - finder enhancer to make positioning and sizing of windows (all apps) much better (yeah win native window management is much better)
    Karabiner - key remapper . probably the most useful app ever. great for making custom daw keyboard hacks
    Yoink - drag and drop helper
    Screenfloat - easy way to take screenshots on a mac. better than the stock one. used to take the pic above
    Caffeine - screensaver/display sleep blocker (very useful!). click to make coffee cup full= sreensaver never comes on. click to make it empty, back to normal settings

with our work windows 10 PC = relief its not windows 8 anymore. and antivirus, we got fucked once, and we wont let it happen again!!
    and i am really enjoying all of your comments, i'll use some of your suggestions to help improve our pc at work :)

2. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Thanks, this could be useful at times, same as Bulk Rename Utility. I don't like programs that get too deep into the system [context menu, systray...] and find utilities usually do. This one has CL app I can use when needed once in a blue moon. When you keep everything tidy into their folders as I do, you don't need any find tools. :wink: However, since I disable Windows Indexing [recommended wholeheartedly to disable] my searches would be even slower, and Windows find is like 10x slower than Linux find, so this Everything will come in handy. :yes:

4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Just remember to check 'Start Everything on system startup' or at least launch it manually before you need to use it, else that initial Database Load just goes on and on. Especially with the external drives with TB of data.

@SineWave Is there an advantage to using an older version of Bulk Rename Utility? I'm on v3.

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Regarding Bulk Rename Utility, the older version I use [older than 2.7] is smaller, faster, and a bit easier to use. That's pretty much it as for advantages. Most of the programmers at some point start adding useless features to the app, just so they can say there's a newer version available [people detest anything older than 6 months for some reason eh? :hahaha:], but adding nothing really useful to the app. :winker:

The perfect way of using Everything in my opinion is to run the database indexing at times when it suits me, not all the time. I hope that's achievable. I haven't tried the app yet as I'm still in a holiday mood and just screwing around, eating, drinking, watching Solarmovie all day. :rofl:

Cheers!

Here's the last Bulk Rename Utility [no installer] version 2.7.1.3 as it is not available from the developers website any more, nor is this no installer version: https://app.box.com/s/wx0ceovaz6owst31ws4ipkc5vrxudd6s Works with all Windows. :wink:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

WinRar64 and 7-zip
    FastCopy
    NTFS-Search
    foobar2000 (for playback and conversions)
    Goldwave (for basic analysis)
    métamorphose (bulk rename)
    Free Download Manager
    Iron64 Portable and Firefox Portable
    Handbrake
    Irfanview
    Libreoffice
    Magicdisk
    Softperfect Ramdisk
    Foxit PDF reader Portable
    VirtualBox
    Encoders (for audio compression): FLAC, opus-tools, WavPack, qaac, LAME 3.92, vorbis-tools
    and SoX

No antivirus, no firewall

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  7. muaB

muaB Producer

you perv! :rofl:
    keep her busy while i finish this track. and give me that beer!

macfag :bleh:
    i would do all these things without tools! even if it would take 10 minutes on this shitty win 8 config menues.
    But i think win 8 and 10 are weird, as you notice M$ struggling to throw new stuff onto their systems.
    the "touch" start menu and these side click things in Win 8 make feel like i want to swich to linux.

get sumatra pdf http://sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader.html

as far as i know the fastest reader out there and its open source - its simple and effective.

i was fighting with these pdf programms which open pdfs after 15 seconds or so and pollute the system with copy protection.
    I tried foxit and nitro. never again! they have put new stuff in their software and made them slow. but earlier versions were nice!
    and Adobe has this stupid update crap - extra tool for updates, then check every 10 minutes. still like that?

Oh, i forgot dbPoweramp- the all purpose converter that never let me down.

8. ehrwaldt kunzlich

ehrwaldt kunzlich Rock Star

total commander - filesystem stuff
    foobar2k - playback, conversion, tagging ... all that jazz
    regedit - registry (duh)
    virtual clone drive - iso/mount
    virtualbox - virtual machines
    malwarebytes - occasional scans
    process explorer - taskmanager replacement

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

SumatraPDF has become the best PDF reader indeed. I used to use Foxit reader years ago, but when I tried SumatraPDF I never looked back. :wink:

However, now I use Evince with Debian Linux and it is as quick as SumatraPDF but has better rendering and features. It would be nice to have Evince for Windows but as I've phased out Windows for daily usage I really don't care that much for any of the Windows apps that are not specifically for audio or video in some way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. ehrwaldt kunzlich

ehrwaldt kunzlich Rock Star

i'm a lamer :(
    pdf opens in my chrome...

edit:
    bulk-rename... ctrl+m in total commander :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Using a browser to open a PDF doc is alright for as long as you use Internet in your audio OS. :wink:

Firefox contains a rather nifty PDF reader, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I actually have a lot of external FAT32 stuff. The logic here is that I'm not convinced NTFS will veer be stable on OSX and I often use some of my data on other people's Mac systems and also dual boot my system with Windows and OSX. Using FAT32 (or exFAT) is the only solidly reliable and stable way to use the same drive fluidly between the two OSs in my opinion.

13. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

Freeware
    • Rename Files: Bulk Rename Utility (when I just need some basic renaming and don't want to write a python script for it)
    • Scripting: Python 3.5 (can automate pretty much any operating system related task if you dig deep enough, I also use it all the time for web-crawling)
    • Browser Scripting: Greasemonkey
    • Programming: CodeBlocks, Eclipse, Dia Diagram Editor, Notepad++
    • Note Taking: XMind 2013 (new versions are resource hogs so still use old version; mind maps are far quicker to review than traditional notes)
    • Cleaner: CCleaner
    • Audio: Foobar2000, iTunes
    • Video: Media Player Classic (with LAV audio and video filters)
    • PDF: PDF-XChange Viewer or Acrobat (depending on how I am feeling)
    • Office: LibreOffice (Micro$oft is a waste of money)
    • Video Encoding: VidCoder (for when I want to optimize something for viewing on my tablet)
    Commercial
    • Adobe Master Collection CS3 (still using the old version of this software, use pretty much all the programs though)
    • Adobe CC (only use this for Premiere Pro because older versions encode so slow)
    • JetBrains CLion (C/C++ Programming)
    • Mount/Create Image: PowerISO
    • Music Scoring: SmartScore X2 and Finale 2014
    • Tablet Stabilizer: Lazy Nezumi Pro (I can't imagine drawing anything on the computer without this ingenious software)
    • Speed Reading: AceReader Pro (I like to do a bit of this to warm up before any serious technical reading)
    • Downloader: Internet Download Manager
    • Ear Training: EarMaster Pro (mostly use tablet apps now for this)
    Boot Disks
    • Hiren's Boot CD 9.9 (old version but use all the time for disk backup using Norton Ghost)
    • Active@ Boot Disk v10.1 (mostly use for wiping/formatting hard-drives)
    • Linux Mint (always have a version on my bootable USB for when I want to do anything secure like online banking or checking email)
    • YUMI Multiboot (I used this to put 5 different bootable images on one USB drive)
    Android Apps
    • aTimeLogger (makes me more productive by helping me keep track of where I spend my time)
    • ES File Explorer File Manager (move, delete, side-load apps, etc...)
    • MX Player (prefer over VLC media player)
    • Quizlet Flashcards (use mostly for foreign language study, large assortment of study cards to be found online)
    • SimpleMind (best mindmap app I have found)
    • Rotation Control (for when apps reorient my screen when I have it on a tablet stand)
    • Complete Ear Trainer (good sounds and really quick for reviewing intervals and chords you already know)
    • MyEarTrainer (I like being able to answer on a virtual keyboard instead of multiple choice)
    • Swype Keyboard (I love the speech to text functionality, good text complete, and slick interface)

14. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I use Chrome to view PDFs too. I think I'll try SumatraPDF.
    easy-hack: you can unsecure and remove editing restrictions and the owner password on a secured PDF by opening it in Chrome then printing it as a new PDF file.
    :yes:

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Hardcore311

Hardcore311 Noisemaker

Adware/Malware: No, never for audio PC
    Audio Conversion: dBpoweramp Music Converter
    Antivirus: No, never for audio PC
    Compression: Winrar
    Defrag:
    Downloader: jDownloader
    Mount Image: DAEMON Tools, Winrar
    Registry: CCleaner
    Font Utils:
    Files Search:
    Files Copy:
    Rename Files:
    Change windows visualization:

Windows PC,

16. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

I hate to admit it, but oxycodone and hydrocodone have helped me immensely with finishing songs and beats. It eases stress, and keeps you focused.

17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Oy, covaloid, great list! :wink: Are you into IT, support, helpdesk perhaps? Be careful as it chops up your nerves slowly but surely. :mad:

Great tip about hacking secure PDFs, Pinkman! Thanks! :wink:

18. mail22

mail22 Ultrasonic

Eset Nod (planning to uninstall)
    Agnitum Outpost Firewall
    FolderSize
    MyDefrag (former JK Defrag)
    CCCleaner
    Foobar VLC and Windows Media Player (K-lite codecs)
    PowerISO
    Sandboxie (!!!)
    HardLinkShellExt (is very VERY useful utility), 400 kb weight, right-click context menu VERY simple functions) Create Symbolic Link, Paste Sym.Link. Move huge folders from system partition

I don't understand why use internet downloader. The internet connection speed 50 to 100 mbit is enough, it all downloads in seconds using browser ( I don't know what prices do you have, we here in Russia pay about $4-6 per month for 50-100 mbit broadband)

19. covaloid

covaloid Ultrasonic

It isn't always your internet connection that determines the speed of your downloads. IDM is good because it can break large files into multiple chunks and download them concurrently. This is good for average and slow servers that sometimes seem to limit the amount of bandwidth allocated per connection. Instead of being limited to only 512 kbps for a particular file you can download 16 chunks (or however many you set) each at that speed for a total of 8192 kbps. True, some fast servers will transmit one connection at speeds faster than your connection and you may not need IDM in these instances but for the slower servers it can drastically speed up your transfers.

20. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Agree, I've been using DOpus since my days back on the Amiga, don't know what I'd do without it these days.