Must have Plugins/Categories and how to categorize

Discussion in 'Software' started by flworius, Oct 16, 2019.

1. flworius

flworius Member

I'm setting up my new computer after being abstinent from producing for a while.
    Now asking myself which plugins to install and how to categorize them and which categories people can agree to existing. There are the classics/oldschool one like Dynamics/Compression, Modulation eg., newer one might be Transient Designer, Chord-Tools... While I don't want to fall into the VSTS/Gear Fallacy and be on the search, I also fear missing out by just forgetting about Categories/Plugins. I just want all the Soundmodulation Principles/Tools there are available and then choose from there. (As I've been out of the game, just a bit of trial n error again to find my favorite techniques/tools again) Im open to any Suggestion of Single VSTs that are special or necessary in your opinion and how you categorize your tools.

In general, I want to be as versatile as possible while having as little plugins as possible. So instead, for example of a flanger, a phaser, a delay I would prefer a plugin that is all of that. Only if a single-use plugin is exceptional in sound or just more practical, I would prefer it over a multi-purpose plugin.
    Also Multiband Plugins, I much prefer to have one that lets me split bands and then use it as I need instead of having a multiband plugin for every use case.

I´ll just add a Picture of my Folder Structure. Maybe there is something missing that jumps to the eye of an experienced producer instantly
    (like "that's all fine, but I see you don't have de-essers. You definitely need them!" ...)
    I myself, for example, see I don't have a folder "Vinyl/Crackle" right now. Just didn't think about that category of tools, just came to my mind right atm....im sure I'm missing something else...

Unbenannt.jpg

Instrumente there are subfolders: Synth, Drums, Guitar, Sampler.
    Kicks are Plugins soley for Bassdrum Creation.
    FX is everything that is not to categorize/multi-fx.

3. flworius

flworius Member

So im going to answer myself....I just stumbled along https://www.pluginboutique.com/
    It´s quite helpful for getting an overview of plugins and one can make use of their categorization too.

4. Meteo Xavier

Meteo Xavier Ultrasonic

Umm, if you're asking opinions about plugins that someone responding, like me, would consider "must-have", I nominate the following things:

* Ambiance Reverb plugin
    * Density Compressor plugin
    * Sonible Smart EQ plugin
    * Soundspot Focus plugin
    * Zynaptiq Intensity plugin
    * Korg MDX plugin
    * Valhalla VintageVerb

A lot of the other ones I consider must have for mixing are all FL Studio/Image Line stuff that comes with the software and may not be general use, but hopefully that's a decent start towards anyone looking for plugins that can work quickly for rough, DIY producers like myself.