MUSICIANS MAY BE UP TO THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO SUFFER FROM DEPRESSION COMPARED TO THE PUBLIC

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by superliquidsunshine, Nov 3, 2016.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Try oats with sunflower seeds and flaxseeds and a glass of lemonade for breakfast. That's what I have every morning. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Pristine

Pristine Newbie

Is it a place to shout your depression? :woot: :dont:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

@Pristine
    Sometimes you just got to vent and let it out. And whats better than an anonymous forum on the interwebs? Especially one with like minded people (musicians/producers) that can relate. Beats paying for therapy.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. thepie

thepie Ultrasonic

Music may well have been escapism for me as well. I had anxiety around 10ish due to a bully form teacher. It disappeared for ages then came back when i had a bereavement recently. Told i had GAD and they also said i probably always had it and it stems from my youth. On a side note i think music has also given me elements of OCD.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Music is the way I can feed my OCD healthily

6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

hey brother, how you been?
    you can call it "attention to detail"

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Me personally......

Bit deep me sayin this to you all.......But here goes>>>......"its saved my life on several occasions"....

"Programming im specifically reffering too"...

We all struggle in varirious wayz mann!...
    Inherantly as musicians /programmers..."We are incredibly complex creatures, that day to day society simply doesnt understand"

Thats no god complex talk whatsoevere...Just that pretty much everything ive read in this thread....."I agree with".....

And the sudden realisaztion that im surrounded by more like minded people thn i realised ,Is something a lil special that i appreciate!....

To put it bluntly ,and not to waffle on ,cuz i got a serious tendancy to do tht ....soz guyz....>

...."If i didnt have the music flowing thru my veins ,i wouldve died long long ago....Overdosed most probably....accidentally of course!..

Lifes often a Bit shit ,for all of us at one stage or another...

But its Honestly only becasuse im able to program my way thru my addictions ,that i survive each day ya know what im sayn?..

Im kinda hardcore at that shit unfortunatley....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

yes science backs it up so even the most brickheaded people like us computerlovers get it

Also science makes vitamin D available in tablets, sun to go, for when you absolutely cannot go outside..

9. rickking

rickking Member

I am on Wellbutrin (Bupropion) and I thank god for it. A few years ago I had a bout with depression and suicidal thinking and they put me on this and eventually it worked great without any side effects. I wish I had been on it as a teen when I first developed depression.

10. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

200w.gif
    code monkey
    On a serious note though, when my girlfreind of over 20 years passed last year, it was the audio and video timelines that helped me cope. Ableton, REAPER, After Effects, and Premiere..Complete immersion in my creative zone. I owe them my life

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

i believe it is true but

in my opinion it applies only to the classic artist souls, sensitive people, empathic individuals, solidary human beings.

most probably not to small time fascists that happen to make music.
    ive seen fascist minded creeps, nazis, racists and all sorts of assholes call themselves "musicians".

to me they are just assholes that just happen to make sounds.. they might as well have sold guns instead or anything else

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

You can always sort it out when listening to their music usually. When it speaks to you on an different (musician/producer) level, you already know something about the artist/musician/producer...
    Its like you can either feel their pain and sorrow or happiness and wonder from the music.
    Or just smell their (bad) breath and karma? haha
    NVM, I think Im drunk....lol More COWBELL!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Not all drug users are fucked up to look at m8!....... Nor do we all smell neither!!..

Affects all walks of life mann!!....Not just the fukn homless n thieves ..

I know the type your refferning too tho........

14. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Aint it just m8 eh?....

know exactly what ya sayin....To put it into leymans termns...It occupies ones mind completely!!..

The next moment,you look at ya watch..N 6/7/8/ hours have past.....
    ."And so have both your cravings,and whatever was stressn ya out at the time"

Btw.So sorry to hear that!!...

That must truly be horrible my friend!!..

Hey mann............U ever wanna talk .........gis a shout bro...

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Well.Mine of 10 years left rather abrubtly sendin me into a fukn downward spiral this last year n a bit.....
    So tho i know its diffrnt.............I do semi get it......
    And if it wasnt for the programming......n sum friends obvs........I wouldve gone mental ages back....n lost it completely..

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

As a musician and PC expert there are two things I really do well: consume alcohol and drugs. :rofl:

And man I can philosophise... I am generally depressed but I somehow embraced it over the years. I think I couldn't live without it. Have anybody thought about that? It's my source of inspiration. Our minds are all unique and work in different ways. I don't even think of the depression [in my case] as somthing to worry about. It's just the way you are. Well, for some people. I have experiences with people who are clinically depressed and those really do need medications because their life is hell without them. Thus one might wonder where's the fine line?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. statik

statik Audiosexual

thing that i've noticed lately is that hope sucks, just when you think life is starting to get better, life turns around and punches you right in the throat and kicks you in the teeth and then spits you when you're down and out on the ground

18. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I´ve been depressed many times in my life for various reasons, last christmas even tried to kill myself. Right now I´m at rehab center for my alcohol problem(been sober for little over month now). I used to be heroin addict 16,5 years ago, so I believe I can kick alcohol out of my life as I did with heroin. But the depression keeps coming back from time to time, even tried SSRI-medication, which is not for me(made me even more crazy with the side-effects). Maybe I´m just too sensitive about things, but I hope learn to control it, music has been best medication and meditative so far.. At least it won´t hurt my body

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Recoil

Recoil Guest

I have depression 24 hours a day since 10 years, I can not do anything about it, medicine does not help.

20. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've been actually diagnosed with hyper-sensitivity, Legotron. Maybe you are too? Do you sometimes cry when you hear a song that is, or used to be your favorite? I do. And I cannot help it no matter what I do. Especially when I'm a bit hammered. Also, sometimes I just cannot stop laughing at something my wife finds mildly funny... it is rare, but it happens. I'm also incredibly inconsolable for weeks when one of my pets dies. I find that so unbearable. :sad: I have loads of cats and a dog.