Music Theory

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Mar 14, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

These 2 books are my favorites. Hope you'd like them. Btw, do you remember my previous post on harmony (https://audiosex.pro/threads/harmony.23937/)? All of these books are at the same style (colorful and also good for tutors - from Mc Graw Hill).

A silly question:
    How many music theories do we have?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Answer: As many as people with a theory about music, though the vast majority are of the same mind.

4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

1=Tonic ... 5=Dominant ... If you can locate these two items without any thought, you are well on the way to becoming a musical genius :invision:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

How many music theories? Too many.
    Do you remember my previous post on harmony? How can we ever forget!

Now my question: Have you actually made a track from start to finish yet, or are you just procrastinating?

Reading and understanding the highway code doesn't mean you can drive a car!

6. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I am sure he meant tracks that have a development, not 15 second loops repeated to fill one minute.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. foster911

foster911 Guest

How much theory is needed to create this track? Let me tell you. ZERO. Most people create such things and think that they know everything about music.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/lb387bhn1s5f2o2/MT.mp3

If I was wanting to be a good arranger/producer, I was not posting anything about music theory to this forum.

8. julianbre

julianbre Producer

I highly recommend Elementary Harmony: Theory and Practice by Robert Ottman for anybody just starting to study music. My favorite by far.

9. webshark

webshark Member

Did you share these books online? Are they available here? the mediafire link says access denied. thx

10. foster911

foster911 Guest

No I did not share them but just do some maths.

11. webshark

webshark Member

2+2 = 5

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

is that you in your avatar? my god..if so, I take back every mean thing I ever said to you ! :bleh:

13. foster911

foster911 Guest

You're absolutely right. From the below chart:
    Degree (2+2=4) ---> Size (2+2=5)

[​IMG]

We have these calculations too:

Degree (1+2=3) ---> Size (0+2=4)

or

Degree (2+3=5) ---> Size (2+4=7)

or

Degree (3+4=7) ---> Size (4+5=11)

and

See. Every thing in the music is possible.
    Again do the math.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  14. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Not sure why you didn't just link the youtube video, but anyway:
    This is a remix, not an original, True it's not a good remix, but hey not all remixes are.

This is the original mix I think, so there's a difference.

Without good listening to the millions of tracks in different genres, you'll absolutely produce shit! More thinking and learning, less producing.

A reply to this statement:

15. foster911

foster911 Guest

If you do not have access to the accompanied materials inside the above books, just recognize the pages with "PDFtoMusic Pro" (http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/pdftomusicpro.htm) and then simply import the converted "XML" or "MYR" files to "Harmony assistant" tool or "Midi" that's a good choice for DAWs. Works so exactly.

You can download the beta version of Harmony assistant (9.6.4 beta-3) from here. Its features are so rich:
    http://www.myriad-online.com/cgi-bin/bbs/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1447947846

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  16. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Why is it that most western music theory is obsessed with 5ths?

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

You don't have to use it, just be aware of where it is, tension and release, etc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  18. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

It's deeper than that. Western scales (e.g. 12TET) are built so that there is a circle of fifths permitting modulation to any key.

19. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I just use it as a road map when I go on one of my musical journeys, I find it helps immeasurably knowing where I am in relation to my home and the destination. I should learn more, but I use music theory on a need-to-know basis, and my current knowledge more than serves it's purpose, i.e. the construction of well-formed spontaneous compositions that are sufficiently pleasing to the ear.

I've been meaning to take a more in-depth look at the circle of fifths, so I may just do that this very evening :wink:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  20. foster911

foster911 Guest

What makes an interval “Perfect”?
    http://music.stackexchange.com/questions/22525/what-makes-an-interval-perfect

Why dissonant music strikes the wrong chord in the brain?
    (what’s our problem with dissonance?)
    And my lovely composer (Schoenberg) says:
    Dissonance is merely a matter of convention, and that we can learn to love it (My question: How?).
    http://www.nature.com/news/why-dissonant-music-strikes-the-wrong-chord-in-the-brain-1.11791

Maybe it's better to free our mind from consonance and dissonance. Because there is no certainty about that and everyone has his/her own view.

How about considering 'black women = consonance" and "white women = dissonance" or vice versa. By doing this,someone shows me how can we hate either of them?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  21. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Foster, I have been trying hard not to respond to the many posts and threads you have either started or have posted in. Alas I have cracked.

You seem to be trying to find some kind of holy grail of theoretical knowledge that will make the music that you think is... I don't know... ground breaking ?

Yet I don't know what genres of music you particularly like or what instruments you play.

Music theory, as mentioned in many other posts already, is only as useful or as rubbish as your working process decides. There ain't much point in understanding complex counter point if you are not interested in composing counter-point music.

There is no need to understand a Cuban Rumba if you don't intend to use the knowledge in your own work. Of course, there is nothing wrong with studying the Cuban Rumba or counter point purely for matters of personal interest. Neither are a holy grail.

You are trying to find something that isn't there....

In my opinion you should spend less time discussing and philosophising music and more time listening to it. There is to much music to listen to and understand for many many lifetimes...

It is an art form after all.

P.S.
    Perfect 4ths and Perfects 5ths are the same interval in reverse. I don't think the perfect prefix has any real scientific meaning other than they sound consonant and have very little flavor in terms of sonic qualities such as major or minor.

The only intervals that if played sequentially, in order will cycle through all 12 tones. (apart from obviously the semi-tone interval, b2, #1)
    Fourths...
    C F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb B E A D G C

The interval in between is the tri-tone. Possibly the most dissonant of the intervals. Almost certainly the framework for most dissonant harmony.