Music theory on piano roll question.. For Ableton and FL Studio

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Desantïs, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

I don't want to catch any flames here so I'll simply ask my question. I am a beginner to the world of music and was wondering if there was a way to be able to select my key and scale in the piano roll so that the other keys are greyd or blacked out.. This way I can just experiment with my ear. I AM trying to learn basic theory but I feel that this would be a great help to me as a producer to just give me a guideline so I don't have to refer back to my notes all the time. I think Pitcher in fruity loop accomplishes this but I'm not sure and I now use ableton live so I guess the question would be more in ableton. I am sure it does this because my push 2 has all of it laid out but in a weird freaking rubix cube way, not like the piano roll.

3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Did you mean this (FL Studio 12) ?

[​IMG]

FL Sudio 12 Online Help - search for "Piano Roll"
    ■ Ableton Live 9 Online Manual

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

I am not sure about Ableton Live because I have not used it.

But in FLS, you can go to piano roll menu and look for helpers.

And you'll find options as shown in this snapshot.

[​IMG]

You can create a blank channel (without any sound source) and insert your scales midi or create your own.

If you have made "ghost channels" on, you can always use this as reference while creating chords or melody in another channels in same pattern.

You can also enable, scale helper.

Let me know if any further help can be required regarding FLS.

Remember... These are just "Helpers". I think you already know importance of knowing keys and scales while working on piano roll. So, do not stop working on your musical skill.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Do you ever search the web before posting a question?

Google:

fl studio scales

ableton live scales

6. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

We should help if we can. I feel bad for the person who is expecting help and get something else in return. Let's be positive, always. If one feels question is silly, then he or she can move on without replying. I hope I am not wrong.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

I live in Alaska I'm just trying to get some human interaction, no need to put my comments down. I'd rather talk to people then you-tube.

8. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I know that you already know everything but anyways...
    ...who told you (and many others) that music is supposed to be in one key?

No wonder that "producers" get bored and run out of ideas very fast.

Right now you have a false sense of "I got this" just because you read some theory since last week and now you're looking for more shortcuts. Eventually you'll find that that's not how it works.

9. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

It's so cold there... Are humans relantionship cold also, Steve?

10. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

What the hell did I do I just asked a question holy crap..:unsure:

:wtf:

11. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

Thread is going in wrong direction. :dunno:
    Can I try to bring it back..?
    @Steve Faoki did you get your reply from first two posts in this thread..?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Exactly, you don't understand the big scope of things and yet you think you already have it all figured out, that's why you're constantly looking for these crutches that in your mind are just time savers... but no, they are not. You're fooling yourself.

13. Adrianus Antonius

Adrianus Antonius Producer

and if it's cold, could you Steve flash yourself for me on the webcam? It would warm up both of us. I promise, I'll comment how you look and what I want you to show me.... :mates:

14. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Combine this with what thantrax said, he was on the money with this.
    Piano roll --> Menu --> Helpers --> Detect Note Scale

scroll midway through this to find it:
    https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/pianoroll_menu.htm

BTW pitcher doesn't accomplish this at all, I would heavily suggest reading FL's manual, it shows nearly all of this information. And also i would also follow with what kouros said, why rediscover something that already exists? If you are going to such troubles to finding a single chord or passage by ear, you are better off actually discovering the pattern behind the chord/chord progression/passage which leads to understanding and implementing basic theory. If you then start implementing and then playing around with the basic theory, you will actually be able to go somewhere with your chord progression with knowledge of why and how it is progressing and how it will fit in the context of a track. It seems from your post that you may find it hard to play around until you achieve some chord progression, which is what i do sometimes. But i want to reinforce the point that you should do what works for you, but make sure if you are prepared to ask a question to at least endeavor into the manual to see if your answer is already there. I wish the forum could implement something similiar to stackoverflow where you can edit someones question so it can be expanded or have some requirement of some questions, like "have you looked in the manual" etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

Hey I think I've got it for FL Studio but for Ableton I am still confused, sorry again I just bought ableton last week so I am trying to get up to speed quickly. And I really just make music for fun and hope I can DJ it out someday.. I'm sorry if I annoy people but I really like making music and like asking questions about learning how to make it better.

16. django

django Member

In Ableton I think there's a midi effect called scaler that limits your notes to the notes of a particular scale. Not used Ableton for a few versions though so not sure if its still called that.

17. Thomas Epps

Thomas Epps Newbie

Steve, I use Live, and I am going through some of the same struggles. There are a couple of Max For Live devices that can help with this. Does your version of Live have Max For Live?

18. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

The equivalent to this in the real world would be the following advice:

"Just play the white notes on the piano and you'll be fine."

The funny thing is that the OP constantly goes between "experienced artist" and "total noob". I believe when he says he's a noob.

19. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Steve, I am not being nasty.

If you remember it well you've been all over the place. Sometimes you say that you're very experienced and even challenge people to compete in songwriting and the next minute you say you're a noob just toying around with scales for the first time.

People have tried to show you how things work but you keep your head too deep inside your own ass and that makes it impossible for others to help you. You're running in circles and don't even notice it.

Good luck with your theory and software Foster.. I mean, Steve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

21. Bobs Ur Unkle

Bobs Ur Unkle Ultrasonic