Music Production PC: i9-12900K, where are Z690 DDR5 motherboards with 3 video outputs?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by mrfloyd, Mar 30, 2022.

1. playtime

playtime Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Nakki42

Nakki42 Noisemaker

If you have hard time and you cant find anything to cater to your needs i think you might still want to look at some really crappy used gpu or something. For your requirements i bet they can have passive cooling and really low power requirements. Some dont even need that extra power plug (or two) from the power supply.

I mean you might actually end up using more power with integrated intel if the intel rock is not power efficient. Dunno. And i think its very likely you will save money if the motherboard that suits you ends up costing a lot versus the used gpu

Integrated graphics is more tidy though

3. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Why? It's much slower than the integrated graphics, doesn't support modern video codecs, and some of the cards don't even support UEFI boot. :dunno:

4. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Producer

@Nakki42
    Wrong quote?

@Olaf
    I ordered the Gfx Card because it was mentioned
    that it is better to use a external GPU for better CPU Performance. The GT730 has Uefi Support.
    So whats the Alternative?
    Staying with iGPU?
    Buying a better Gfx Card?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  5. Nakki42

Nakki42 Noisemaker

@Olaf
    I have heard this too, i dont know if its true as the integrated graphics cpus have their own litle gpu unit that would otherwise do nothing. Anyways it is propably not at all anything you should worry about if its working for you now and you only need it for music.

"Integrated graphics is a separate chip from the CPU, but it is in the same package. As such the GPU does not "use" CPU time to work. That does not mean that the integrated GPU doesn't slow the CPU down slightly though. The integrated GPU uses the same memory as your CPU, as a result graphical tasks can take bandwidth from the CPU and cause some level of contention. Given the massive bandwidth of modern memory the penalty will, for tasks such as desktop composition and "normal" programs, be of the order of a few percent of memory bandwidth. Small enough that you will almost certainly not notice."

6. DEATHROW

DEATHROW Producer

For a few bucks more, i finaly ordered the EVGA GeForce GT 1030 SC Passive Low Profile, 2GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI (02G-P4-6332-KR).